71 Westy tintop Update 29th October Going to Auction

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cheers , the problem is when you do one thing it makes the next bit look shit ! and on it goes

Need to start looking at getting the bodywork professionally painted now

And i need one of them vintage speed exhausts :D

This is the next job, will get the shafts painted tomorrow, kept hold of the old spreader plates off the old cv's, think they were og vw, opened the boxes of the new ones and seen that the new ones dont come with them, so thought happy days, put the old ones back on, but no the raised bits on the boots wont let them sit flat :cry: , not happy about not using them but might end up trying to make them fit yet :)

IMAG0422.jpg

Done a bit of cleaning behind the dash with a few cans of oven cleaner , some bloody sharp bits of metal behind there :eek: and the oven cleaner stings like.... :!: in cuts

IMAG0423.jpg

IMAG0424.jpg

IMAG0425.jpg

IMAG0426.jpg

Looking good dude,

Never heard about using over cleaner, nice trick but is that not a little harsh on the electrics etc back there.

I've just done my cv's, the boots look the same as yours and I must admit I didnt check mine so it will be first job in the morning.

Painted the drive shafts

IMAG0431.jpg

IMAG0432.jpg

I then started to renew heater cables, pulled the passenger side one out no probs, then drivers side, pulled it about an inch then it got stuck :x , ended up rocking the bus and wrapping the cable round me work bench to pull it out, took ages ,but it came out eventually
Only problem was when i went to put the new one in, it only goes in about 2 foot and get stuck, something but have got stuck in there
Left that and put a new accelerator cable in then ready for the new carbs

Not tacked the heater cable yet !

Built the drive shafts up

IMAG0437.jpg

Couldnt leave the air filter stand in so starting to remove this next

IMAG0436.jpg

Got some more bits powder coated

Bumper brackets

IMAG0439.jpg

IMAG0440.jpg

Battery clamp and thermostat bracket

IMAG0438.jpg

Had a bit of a nightmare with the air filter stand :evil:

IMAG0462.jpg

Could'nt get it off wthout tearing the metal , made a mess of the arch, had to weld it up :cry: , but its all done now except for painting the arch

IMAG0469.jpg

IMAG0461.jpg

While blowing all the muck out the engine bay i thought i would stick the air line down the hole to the left of the fuel tank, got half a beach out of there :shock:

IMAG0465.jpg

IMAG0466.jpg

IMAG0467.jpg

All ready for painting now

IMAG0470.jpg

I hate bodywork and painting :evil:

I painted the area with etch primer from an aerossol but didnt quite have enough so decided to buy some for the gun , i then painted it with the new etch primer and it went tits up, it reacted badly in most places so had to strip it all back off :roll:

Took me ages to get it all back smooth again

Anyway its mostly done now in colour, still hate painting though :(

IMAG0021.jpg

IMAG0022.jpg

IMAG0023.jpg

IMAG0024.jpg

IMAG0025.jpg

IMAG0026-1.jpg

Its not perfect a the minute, a few little runs but its a nightmare to get into the sides, i'll get there

Getting there with the paint now, nearly done :evil:

Anyway a few engine pics :D

1641 Mahle b & p's
Scat C25 Cam
Scat ratio rockers 1.25 : 1
Std heads with a bit of porting
Twin 36 Dellorto's
Facet fuel pump,pressure regulator
CB performance inlets, air filters and linkage kit
Bosch blue coil
Bosch plug leads
Pertronix elec ignition
Schadek oil pump 30mm gears

engine4.jpg

engine5.jpg

engine6.jpg

engine7.jpg

engine8.jpg

engine9.jpg

Due to vintage speed group buy disaster :cry: , going to re use the original exhaust which was a nos one, cut the pre heats off, put a bolt in and welded em up , dont need em now due to twin dells :)

IMAG0565.jpg

IMAG0566.jpg

IMAG0567.jpg

IMAG0568.jpg

Painted it with some vht paint

IMAG0569.jpg

It will do for now until i get a vs one

Started repairing the wiring from where it had be repaired from before, they only used about 3 differant coloured wires

soldered together and heat shrinked, only took the two pics, phone battery died then :roll:

IMAG0530.jpg

IMAG0531.jpg

Then sleeved the lot to the same as og

IMAG0581.jpg

IMAG0580.jpg

IMAG0579.jpg

Got the over gearbox rubber in and all the grommets through the bulkhead

IMAG0582.jpg

Latest posts