'72 crosser westy (not a resto just a get it going)

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bertiethebus

Reaction score
So I have bought another bay (for keeps this time :mrgreen: ) it needs loads, I'm skint, so don't expect many earth shattering updates in a hurry

It's a taypic sourced bus, I think I'm gonna keep it as original paint as possible and rolling resto it 8)
First job before it gets dropped off at my house is to get all the rat shit out of it :rolf:

Then engine and box in
Then the world is my lobster.......

Engine which came with the bus.......

Now in bits and in the boot.... Pouring oil all over :roll:

My pal paul kindly gunned the flywheel on for me aaaaaaaand.... End float! Not quite enough to jam your fingers behind the pulley... But nearly!!
My other pal bob is kindly going to start it on the bench on Thursday so we can see if it
A. Runs
B. Explodes
C. Bangs like a byker lass on a Saturday night in the toon!
Or my favourite...
D. Purrs like a kitten (not likely!)
Tomorrow will be spent getting both arms tattooed in the morning, then pressure washing rat shit all afternoon!!

Crossdresser, just scrap it :D

What's the dual pulley for?, aircon or something?

I'm keeping as much of it as possible.....
Today was spent removing 4 rats nests :shock:
However in the nests were the old contents of the glove box....
I know this about the bus, it was from Fresno California...
It belonged to Larry.....
Larry was a teacher......
Larry was a bad teacher!
Larry had many love letters from Kristen....
Kristen was very bored during lessons so she would write Larry love letters....
Yep! :oops:
This was in 1986!

Was some mad reading! :lol:

However, I have discovered the bus will need an OS battery tray repair. Should be able to repair it without burning through the original paint as it's quite far from the corner so that's good! 8)
I still don't know what to do with the read valence, to weld it back in or make a good removable job of it :?

bertiethebus said:
I'm keeping as much of it as possible.....
Today was spent removing 4 rats nests :shock:
However in the nests were the old contents of the glove box....
I know this about the bus, it was from Fresno California...
It belonged to Larry.....
Larry was a teacher......
Larry was a bad teacher!
Larry had many love letters from Kristen....
Kristen was very bored during lessons so she would write Larry love letters....
Yep! :oops:
This was in 1986!

Was some mad reading! :lol:

However, I have discovered the bus will need an OS battery tray repair. Should be able to repair it without burning through the original paint as it's quite far from the corner so that's good! 8)
I still don't know what to do with the read valence, to weld it back in or make a good removable job of it :?

Your theatrical reading of the letters in person this afternoon was the highlight of my day!

Bus is very solid too! Quite jealous 8)

Oh and seen Lee tonight, he says cut the back out and just fit some mounts!

So to make sure every bit of rat shite was rid..... I soaked the whole inside with TFR and let it soak in......
Then jet washed it!!!!

It's nice and fresh under there now :mrgreen:
Welding the rear valance back in tomorrow and looking a few other bits over (well I'm not, I'm at work! Steve is :). )
Did find this horrible little bastardo in the rear bumper when the last bolt snapped and it fell on my head :shock:

Think I need to burn my bus now!!

So Steve said he would have a poke about the bus today as he had some time going spare.....
Next thing I knew.....
Battery tray in and no paint damaged 8)
Cab floor sorted

And the rear valance in too!!

So that's it all welded up!!!
I am stoked with it, they are a cracking bunch at restore and more 8)

Should hopefully get the bus home to start wiring and going through the brakes this week! Then when some shelter is sorted, I can smooth the rear valance and start prepping and painting the interior 8)

Had a couple of hours today so......
Steering column fitted

However, I need to figure out how to remove the ignition barrel as the key doesn't fit it but I've managed to ensure the steering lock doesn't pop back in :-/
Any advice on that one would be good! :mrgreen:

Rest of the roof lining down and it's super clean and straight up there

The bits on the floor which look dark are where I have wire brushed and treated so minor surface rust. It's really solid so I'm chuffed to bits 8)
Started to strip the front brakes down but didn't get a boring action pic of a bare disc..... I mean, who wants to see that lol
I'm hoping the callipers are not seized but I know the rubbers on the pistons are perished... Along with every rubber component under the bus :roll:
Still, I figured I'd strip it all, ask my mate to check the callipers, them remake all the brake lines and buy new flexi pipes and rebuild it all before fitting the gearbox

Nothing earth shattering to report really,
New hard brake lines made, flexis arrived today so fitted a couple before the light went. Got my new cv boots fitted and wrapped up...
I have however found that I need the front mounting for the gearbox (coupling end) as its all missing :oops:
Also gave the dash clocks a strip and thorough clean...
Like I said not much, but it was cheap and cheerful to do :D
Oh and I managed to get a stubborn old hand brake cable end piece out of the backing plate.... Heat + a good twatting with a hammer :mrgreen:

Sounds pretty much the same as mine! Still love this bus. Can't wait to see work progress on it!

bertiethebus said:
Nothing earth shattering to report really,
New hard brake lines made, flexis arrived today so fitted a couple before the light went. Got my new cv boots fitted and wrapped up...
I have however found that I need the front mounting for the gearbox (coupling end) as its all missing :oops:
Also gave the dash clocks a strip and thorough clean...
Like I said not much, but it was cheap and cheerful to do :D
Oh and I managed to get a stubborn old hand brake cable end piece out of the backing plate.... Heat + a good twatting with a hammer :mrgreen:

Sounds good mate!, productivity on mine has died lately as too dark to work on it. Starting westy window refurb, painted front footwells, ready to refit final cab door.

Handy thing about working shifts I suppose?, can still work in daylight in the winter?

Aye that's the good thing about shifts.... The last pipe I fitted last night required me to keep waving my leg in the air to catch the sensor on the outside spotlight :lol:
I need a loan of a small compressor from someone local so I can stone chip the cab and rear floor.... Mark have you got one I could lend? :msn4:

bertiethebus said:
Aye that's the good thing about shifts.... The last pipe I fitted last night required me to keep waving my leg in the air to catch the sensor on the outside spotlight :lol:
I need a loan of a small compressor from someone local so I can stone chip the cab and rear floor.... Mark have you got one I could lend? :msn4:

Mines too big to transport mate. PITA at present as my long hose is bust and I need to DINATROL mine as well. Might get a smaller one just to wheel about for tyres etc.

The little 24litre ones pop up in aldi from time to time for £60ish? with basic tools

Hoping my bigger one has enough CFM as ordered a blasting cabinet off ebay. (just big enough for a wheel hopefully)

With funding being limited trying to refurb as many metal parts as possible now

Webbaldo said:
bertiethebus said:

Mines too big to transport mate. PITA at present as my long hose is bust and I need to DINATROL mine as well. Might get a smaller one just to wheel about for tyres etc.

The little 24litre ones pop up in aldi from time to time for £60ish? with basic tools

Hoping my bigger one has enough CFM as ordered a blasting cabinet off ebay. (just big enough for a wheel hopefully)

With funding being limited trying to refurb as many metal parts as possible now
Aye I know what you mean buddy. I think I'll pop a wanted on the local club and see if anyone can help. I've just had my tailgate and sliding door seal delivered and went out and fitted the tailgate one as its pissing water in!
I shall check later and see if it's sorted the leaking :mrgreen:

Latest posts