'72 crosser westy (not a resto just a get it going)

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rear lights wired in, fire wall in, engine currently sat on a skateboard awaiting the right clutch and a front tin which I'm gutted about as I was hoping to have it running by the weekend :cry:
Still, I should have a tin coming soon and the clutch should be here tomorrow... Well, today actually bloody nightshift overtime :mrgreen:
Need to drill out the spot welds on the seat rails and weld in the late ones I have for the late seats I'm picking up.
My rails and bare early frames will be going spare when I get an idea of what to advertise them for :?

If the weathers ok pop over sat morning or sunday for that loom bit if you want

bertiethebus said:
Webbaldo said:
If the weathers ok pop over sat morning or sunday for that loom bit if you want

Cheers mark, but I have managed to get a short cut from an old loom yesterday 8)

Cool!, sorted then

you bus will be finished in a month!

Bracket sorted from a local club member 8) Clutch came and is fitted so now I'm just waiting for the tin from Mr Quinn to arrive then in goes the motor!

bertiethebus said:
Bracket sorted from a local club member 8) Clutch came and is fitted so now I'm just waiting for the tin from Mr Quinn to arrive then in goes the motor!

Brill! :eek:

Tin arrived... Mint! 8) fitted it up and then tried to get the engine in but I'm buggered! Van is about 4" too low to get engine under the balance and I've just had injections in my wrist yesterday which has left me with the grip of a girl in my right hand :roll:
SOS call placed locally and hope to have a hand tomorrow after work to get it bolted in
I will sort some pictures tomorrow as it was blowing a hooliegale and pissing down :lol:

Front brakes are all re fitted and ready to bleed and drop it on its wheels.
Now, I need to have some input on this......
Thoughts on this beauty being grafted on and losing the tintop?

I love it but am honestly lost as to what to do!!!

Tough choice, gives you a bit more storage and a nice place to stand up in, I like a high top.

So did a little bit more work on the wiring tonight, unfortunately it was cut somewhat short thanks to the presence of a black widow spider which seems to have survived this winter rather well. It managed to scarper back above the main wiring loom at the rear of the bus....... Can't believe I nearly put my hand up there :shock:
Need to burn out my greenhouse as the little fuckers have been cropping up since I moved there last spring.....

So after poking about in the wiring nest.......

Engine was filled with oil last night but it would appear that half a pint has pissed out of the right rocker cover :roll: :evil:
So, once the carpet fitter leaves in an hour or so..... My pal and I are gonna try and fire it up :shock:
Then I will decide what to do about this little problem...

Can you spot the problem??
At some point in its former life, a yank has put another rear hub on the bus and it's an earlier one!!!! So it's a '72 on one side and I'm thinking 70-71 on the other? :?
It's never ending lol

Gutted :cry: starter motor is goosed and as such, ruined the grand start up I had planned today. Decided enough was enough when hail and lightning struck :shock:
Steering and dash to refit tomorrow and await locating a starter

Restore and more came to the rescue with a starter motor for me 8)
So I fitted the rest of the lights and steering column and the replacement starter....
Jiggled the timing and boom! Started straight away!

However, I'm convincing myself it sounds like a bag of scanners Is in the case :roll: :cry:

Oil light hoes straight out when it fires up, the genny light is staying on but I'll sort that.
All I can do is check valve clearance and timing, oil level and have a mate lend an ear to it.
It's shit though as the engine is dropping oil from the rear main seal and a couple of the sump studs too, supposed to be a dry engine my arse!
So engine has to come back out anyway, I'd rather wait till its mot'd to get it on a ramp for ease.

Bit of a shit thread this as its so light on pictures but I promise I'll post more up when I'm making visible progress.

Mine was a great dry engine too, oil leaking out of the sump plate and the rear main oil seal. Only a tiny bit, I'll deal with it on a warm day in the summer hopefully!

Looking forward to seeing more pictures as you go along! Looking good so far.

georgeyv said:
Mine was a great dry engine too, oil leaking out of the sump plate and the rear main oil seal. Only a tiny bit, I'll deal with it on a warm day in the summer hopefully!

Looking forward to seeing more pictures as you go along! Looking good so far.

Cheers, was gonna photo it with the Empi 5's I have on..... But the rears are more heartache (see technical thread) so sadly, nowt worth taking a picture of at present :roll:

It's just shit that a pal get my an engine which he has seen and heard running, the op drained the oil and removed the motor, my pal deals my in good faith and its spunking oil all over :evil:
Still, it'll sort at some point.
Now I'm gonna have to swap the rear hubs back to my old ones and get 4 tyres for my tatty steels as the alloys are being a fucker :roll:

Have you ever been so fed up that all you wanna do is jump in your bay and head to the hills for a weekend of drama free chill......
Except it's the bay that's causing it and it's up on bricks and not going anywhere :lol: :lol:

Well now the bus is back on its wheels and the bumper is on the front......

Traced the issue with dip beam to this :lol:

So as it stands, the generator light won't go out, it was working on the bench, I've tried two regulators on so far and nowt changes. Couldn't find my meter to test it so that's another tenner spent at maplins :roll:
Stuck at work till 10pm so tomorrow morning I'll see what's what.
Then brakes to bleed properly and adjust, handbrake to set up, windscreen to change and pop some wipers on and MOT time :mrgreen:

As you can see it's not been cleaned or even touched on the outside, the front bra is there to go back on for now so as to not scare the neighbours :lol:

Then set to on the inside

Well the engine I'd being removed Friday and a few seals sorted to make it tip top instead of top up :lol: just need it to not be pissing down!
Plenty of coffee for Bob is required I reckon!
As for the Dynamo light, looking into re energising the Dynamo..... If that's what it is I'll know soon enough, funny it worked on a bench test but who knows with old stuff :mrgreen:
Chin up Gav..... "This time next week rodders" :msn4: :lol:

Latest posts