'72 crossover: rear bumper question

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aircoolpoirot

Reaction score
i've got a type two converted panel, registered in november 1972. the VIN starts 222, and i think the third 2 confirms the year.

it needs two new rear corners.

as far as i can weigh up, it currently has/may have the wrong (replacement)corners fitted, and the wrong bumper brackets, and probably the wrong bumper.

i say this because extra holes have been drilled in the corner to mount the bumper ends.

and someone's used a hacksaw and a hammer on the bottom lip of the corners so that the bumper brackets clear them.

as for the bumper, i think it's some kind of one size fits all split/early bay job.

so..

any crossover experts out there?

are the corners a different pressing? (i suspect not)

the brackets different?

the bumper?

can i buy these things, or should i adapt what's available?

cheers

Sounds like you have thre repro " slash" bumper as you say its a splitty/EB fit for the bay the brackets on the inside get cut off & holes drilled to match bumper irons
The correct crossover bumper is the same but the holes for the irons are about 3 1/4inches (approx)further apart due to the wider engine bay (more room needed for the type 4 motor)
This puts them in the rocking horse poo catagory in finding a straight one, also bumper irons are hard to get hold of (if you check out SKP on the south coast they may have some)
The corner of the bumper on mine had a short bracket where splash pans normally are, but I have not fitted them as I would rather not have a nudge on the corner push the corner panel in.
In time you will find out all the bits that are "different" on our crossers 8)

thanks,

so corner panels no prob.

just the bumper and irons.

which i'd rather leave off anyway.

i'll join the coalition, if i can find a membership form.

viva la crossover!

...the original corners had a little bump on them the bolt the splash pans to......replacement corners dont.......replacement splash pans are designed for the brazilian bays so arn't quite the same.

Latest posts