72 westy tin top, slammed NOW WITH COOKIE CUTTERS !!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris

Reaction score
Another newbie to the site!! Thought you might like to see some pics of our "new" van that we found last August after much searching. She was freshly imported from sunny Palm Springs and was rust free but had a dodgy re-spray and perished rubber seals (and 220,000 miles on the clock!!) these pics are from just before we picked it up.
DSCN0297.jpg

DSCN0292.jpg

DSCN0294.jpg

The fuses were blowing after it rained so we decided to have the window seal replaced, while this was being done we discovered the rain was getting in through the arial and windscreen wiper spindle seals not the windscreen ! so we replaced these removed the wheel carrier and had the front panel resprayed in the origional pastel white. We also converted the electric hook up to uk spec and fitted a liesure battery.
In October we ventured on our first trip, covering 650 miles in 5 days in Somerset and North Devon without any problems at all (save for a very thirsty engine due to dodgy carbs- hoping to replace these this spring if finances allow). This is "Precious" (the name her origional American owner gave her) some where in Somerset after her front panel re-spray.

DSCN0350.jpg

We have now stripped all of the interior out (full lhd westy interior for sale if any ones interested ) and she is now back at the body shop having the rest of her re-sprayed and all new seals fitted. Hoping to get her back in a couple of weeks so we can start work on the new interior. heres some more pics as she is being stripped out

DSCN0390.jpg

DSCN0389.jpg

DSCN0388.jpg

Thats all for now. Hope to update this as more work gets done.

Hello Fella and welcome 8) nice soild looking bus there 8)

Thanks for the positive response guys. there are some very tasty vans on this site that are a great inspiration to get this one finished. thankfully not too much needs doing. I am in awe of some of the work you guys have done or are in the middle of doing.
any way heres a couple more pics as it is being stripped at the bodyshop before spraying
DSCN0392.jpg

DSCN0393.jpg

Hi Chris,

That is one sweet bus you have there - well done and welcome :D

not much further with body work yet, front bumper stripped of about 10 layers of paint but rust free underneath. other panels being stripped of multiple layers of paint as well. couple more pics added. small plate welded in hole for electric hookup to make smaller to fit uk hook up. most of new rubber seals have arrived, just finished refurbing 1st westy louvre window with new seals and a good polish , looking much better, just awaiting delivery of seal kit for the other one. also made a start on cutting out new interior panels to replace nackered ones, and have sanded roof panels ready for fresh coat of varnish. hoping to get van back in next 2 weeks so can start on interior.
Anybody recommend somebody local (west mids / staffs ) to weld adjusters into front beam ? was going to get narrowed adjustable beam but cash is running out !
DSCN0395.jpg

DSCN0396.jpg

will post more pics as work gets done

just been to the body shop. not much progress as they have been finishing off a beetle ! some more of the body has been prepped ready for the primer. no rust but some small dents needed a bit of filling.
DSCN0413.jpg

DSCN0412.jpg

[old crusty louvre windows have come up a treat courtesy of a wire brush, some wire wool and lashings of autosol. oh and a new seal kit. just waiting for the kit to finish the other one( should be able to collect it from dubfreeze.
DSCN0422.jpg

have just removed seat covers to repair a spring and the covers tore, so it looks like new seat covers as well !!

not much progress with the bodywork due to the guys in the bodyshop all coming down with man flu !!
roof lining varnished and ready to re-fit. interior panels all cut out. full width r n r bed bought at dubfreeze, vynl to cover panels and seats ordered. just waiting to get van back to start interior.
also looking for some one in west mids/staffordshire area to fit twin 34 ict carbs, can anyone recommend somebody ?

Good work, I'm trying to clean our louve windows at the moment, got the autosol ready and will grab some wirewool now :wink:

Also got some new rubbers for the front windows, gonna tackle that next week :?

yeah, tried dremel, but went through loads of cleaning/polishing attatchments (and a few hours !! ) before i thought bugger it and tried wire wool and autosol. worked a treat in no time at all.
good look with yours Speedman

well after 4 months with a faulty internet connection (thanks alot Tiscali !!) i have finally been re-connected and can access this site again. alot has happened in the past 4 months , not all of it good. Got the van back from the body shop with fresh paint and rubber seals. really pleased with it. recovered all the interior panels in new vynil, new full width RnR bed fitted and recovered. front seats recovered. varnished roof lining fitted. new interior lights and electrics fitted and wired up. new flooring. jail bars. new curtain material from Hawaii. couple of great weekends away on the Welsh coast. New 34ict carbs arrived from CB performance in the States (thanks for that idea Easy !! ) running great, then guess what ? the day before we were due to go away for a week a bloody great big articulated lorry hit the rear offside, pushing the bodywork onto the rear wheel, which locked up and sent me spinning across all 3 lanes of the M6 !! luckily no one was hurt but the van received £1700 of damage !! Absolutely gutted. now back in the same bodyshop that sprayed it for me. Needs new bumper and brackets, new running light( both were brand new ! ) repairs to the rear offside wheel arch and above. suspension needs replacing due to being bent. hoping to get it back in next couple of weeks so i can start refitting it again. will post some pics of the final parts of the resto as soon as i get chance

what a bummer hey - but it just shows you can't kill a bay - even if an 18 wheeler hits you on the M6...not something I would want to experience though...good on ya Chris - glad no one was hurt.

here's some pix as the interior is being re trimmed.
New vinyl covering on new panels that i cut from hardboard, and headliner newly varnished and refitted
DSCN0423.jpg

DSCN0424.jpg

new full width RnR bed being fitted
DSCN0426.jpg

New vinyl covers on RnR bed. Newly made over head shelf covered in matching cream vinyl, also with new spot lights fitted.
DSCN0431.jpg

DSCN0428.jpg

seats were covered by a local upholsterer, but I did the panels and made the overhead shelf myself. It's amazing what you can turn your hand to when the money starts running out !
Here's the front seats and kick panels, also new under seat mats and side mats, this pic was taken during a weekend away before the "accident". Iwill post more pix of the exterior both pre and post accident when i get a bit more time
DSCN0436.jpg

Chris - lookin good - where'd you get your R'n'R bed from...is it a bluebird?

Fella! congrats on the trimming 8) it l;ooks ace and is a very good complement to the bus :wink:

Latest posts