A bit of bling....

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Loxy

Reaction score
Picked up my polished cookies this afternoon.....
2009_06070013.jpg

Looking 8)
They arent perfect but the polishing guy pointed out that they have already been heavily worked on previously so there are some scratches that are too deep.
The wheels were heavily filled & painted when I got them so wasnt aware of the problem, he also removed the lip on the rims for me as they had been kerbed.

Trial fit on the rear:
2009_06070020.jpg

Not happy with the adapter fit though (borrowed off Haveacamper) might go for the CE 5x130 drums & hubs - anyone else fitted them?

Very nice, if you dont mind me asking how much to get these polished?

The last set of BRM's I had I spent 4 hours per wheel, took me a whole week of evenings :shock: and that was just the outer rims and thin spokes

Stunning wheels, you cant beet a bit of bling!

I was after a set of those for my bus, but Porsche in their wisdom dont mark the ET on them so finding the right set is a nightmare!

dont forget if you run the redrilled hubs you will still need to run spacers! I think i would just go with the cut down bolts, I have a set of 30mm adaptrs if you want to try them.

AxlFoley said:
dont forget if you run the redrilled hubs you will still need to run spacers! I think i would just go with the cut down bolts, I have a set of 30mm adaptrs if you want to try them.

Cheers for the offer but I dont think they will fit under the arches with 30mm adaptors :cry:

uber cool said:
Very nice, if you dont mind me asking how much to get these polished?

Cost me £150 for all 5 to be done, which I thought was quite reasonable.

lol yeah 30mm is a bit big!

£150 is good, where was that ? Caerphilly by any chance??

AxlFoley said:
lol yeah 30mm is a bit big!

£150 is good, where was that ? Caerphilly by any chance??

Yeah Caerphilly metal polishers on Bedwas Road - seemed a nice guy, did them pretty quickly as well ;)
As I said they aint perfect but given they are probably 20+ years old already they look pretty good - especially when compared to my paint job :lol:

Yeah I have had a few sets done by him, hes does like his VWs too so thats always good.

if at a later date you feel you want to get them polished to a mirror shine, I know a bloke in Swansea who can do that, but he isnt cheap!

oh and make sure you get some of this to protect them.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=390052428417" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

they look fantastic... i hope my set look as good when polished up 8)

i have the same spacers and will be grinding down the nuts bolts too. from memory the cookies are perfectly flat at the back. Im really interested to see how they sit with rubber on especially at the back. I'm sure mine have 6J stamped on the back but i could be wrong.

Johnny said:
they look fantastic... i hope my set look as good when polished up 8)

i have the same spacers and will be grinding down the nuts bolts too. from memory the cookies are perfectly flat at the back. Im really interested to see how they sit with rubber on especially at the back. I'm sure mine have 6J stamped on the back but i could be wrong.

sure mine have the size stamped on the rear as well but not the et, the "dodgy" bits are in the bottm of the spokes where someone has previously ground them back - some of the grinding is a little deep so is not possible to polish out - but you have to be looking a them closely to notice.
Rears are completely flat, shame they arent like new porsche wheels that are scalloped and would allow the bolts to sit proud - I wonder if they could be machined to be the same??
I think I promised you a pic of my other 6jx15 spare didnt I? will try and remember to take some pics tonight ;)

Justin & Muttley said:
Loxy - wheels are looking great (need to get mine done now!) - have you had the centre caps polished too? If so, how did they turn out?

Cheers

;)

That was school boy error No.1, trial fitted wheel then thought need to put the cap on - whoops I forgot to get them polished :lol:

Loxy said:
Justin & Muttley said:
Loxy - wheels are looking great (need to get mine done now!) - have you had the centre caps polished too? If so, how did they turn out?

Cheers

;)

That was school boy error No.1, trial fitted wheel then thought need to put the cap on - whoops I forgot to get them polished :lol:

When I spoke to the polisher last week he said that the caps can be tricky - the painted ones are generally OK, but the anodised type can be a bugger!!!

;)

Chris said:
my centre caps were black anodised but came up a treat

060.jpg

062.jpg

Nice & a 72 like mine ;)
I'm sure I asked you this question before but what thickness adapters are you running & what size wheels??

Also my caps dont have the holes in like yours do are they a different type? will post pics of mine up tomorrow.

Latest posts