accelerator cable tube help please

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluenose

Reaction score
Hi all,

Nothing is ever straight forward! trying to figure out the correct position of the accelerator cable tube through the fan shroud

Not sure why but there are two holes in the back (toward rear of the vehicle) of my fan shroud where the accelerator cable comes through. The tube was running through the top one in the pic below

13519416584_efd217b2a6.jpg

The hole in the front of the fan shroud looks like it has been slightly butchered but anyway lines up with the top hole in the back.... but doesn't line up with the one in the tinware at all so the tube I took out is a bit of a dogs hind leg.

13519414374_992498f029.jpg

I'm thinking I need to drill another hole in the front of the fan shroud which would line up with the bottom hole in the rear of the fan shroud and the hole in the tinware or am I missing a trick?

Whatever I do the tube needs to run straight as I've brought one of these to make up for the whacking big spacer I have on the carb;

13519084155_29afc1426b.jpg

Do I need to plug up all these spares holes in the shroud?

Hi,

I had to do drill an extra hole for the tube, but mine was behind the fan shroud nearest the firewall. My tube that cam with the van was bent and was causing the throttle to stick. Drilled the hole and bought new tube and the throttle was much better. I am wondering as my engine had come out of a Baja bug, then the fan shroud could have been beetle origin? Not sure about plugging the extra holes, I don't know if it will make much difference but it would not hurt.

the tube does have a slight bend ,bottom hole in housing is for HT lead clip,should be 3 of those.dont think any differance between beetle and bus tin for the tube alinment ,is your front tin bent as it should sit above engine case with the 2 tags holding it in place.there should be a plastic block in fan housing where the tube comes out towards flywheel ,thats why its a slot .

67panel said:
the tube does have a slight bend ,bottom hole in housing is for HT lead clip,should be 3 of those.dont think any differance between beetle and bus tin for the tube alinment ,is your front tin bent as it should sit above engine case with the 2 tags holding it in place.there should be a plastic block in fan housing where the tube comes out towards flywheel ,thats why its a slot .

That's handy to know, I always wondered what that second one was for.

I had to replace my throttle cable, and have also added the rubber grommet for the tube and fan shroud. It probably stops it shaking around damaging the fan shroud.

thanks for the advice, I got it sussed in the end just wanted to make sure I routed it right.

I cut it down in length and bent it like this

13828986933_220392ecb8.jpg

I got a new accelerator cable conduit to run over the transmission but it's off a beetle and too long so I put a piece of fuel hose on the end of the tube as a joining piece so I can cut the length of the conduit down

13828984603_2fc7620244.jpg

13829310894_3f2ba7ecdb.jpg

Latest posts