advice on 1776 build please :)

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StripedHemi

Reaction score
hi guys

I have a short engine that's been built from an as41 case, lightened & balanced and ready for 90.5 B&P's

the heads are good and machined to suit also..

what im after is some advice on what spec to go with as far as the rebuild goes....

I want it to be built for reliability/torque, it'll be a dual carrigeway cruiser that wont go anywhere near a drag strip

im thinking Engle 110 cam? twin weber 34's? leave the rest stock?

what about deep sump? would like external oil filter, do I need better oil pump etc, elec fuel pump/regulator/filter king etc

id prefer to spend my money wisely on things that will keep it running strong and well for years to come rather than give me a few extra hp here n there

let me know your thoughts :) appreciate the time chaps!

This is exactly what I went through last year, I've got a 1776, I wanted a mileage muncher rather than a speed machine, but it still flies compared to stock 1600,
so for low down torque I went engle 100 cam once in 4th you barely have to change down even on hills pulls excellently 8)
Carbs I've gone dellorto drla 40's easily tune-able,
I have a cb slimline sump to add a Couple of extra litres of oil for cooling and it's full flowed with an external filter (with pro made stainless braided ptfe hydraulic hoses, for my peace of mind ) and to aid the circulation I've got a bug super oil pump
Fuel pump wise I went with a low pressure huco one, so no need for a regulator 8) one less thing to play up

Hope this helps
:mrgreen:

Engle 110 cam, 1.25 ratio rockers, ported stock heads and stock size valves. I'd choose twin choke carbs over ICT's too, Either 36 or 40's. Webers or Dell'orto's are equally good. If your getting a counterweight crank then you might as well get a stroker crank too, then you'll have tons of bottom end torque.

Thanks guys!

Mr 68 that's really helped thankyou.. Sounds like we will have similar specs

Carb choice will be hampered by the budget, brand new ict's are half the money of dhla's or idf's, whilst I'd like them I can't push to financing those, unless a good used set were available but how much difference would double the cost make?

What benefit would the ratio rockers give me?

Crank is stock, if I had the money stroker would be my choice as I have one specced up ready but again can't finance it..

I need to consider my choices wisely and spend the budget well

Ok so been looking on eBay for carbs, seems there are quite a few dhla's on there

Can they be used running vertically? I know weber dcoe's don't like it which is why the idf's are for.. They are within budget for carbs that I had in mind, some are reconditioned too

You'll need bolt up rockers so you may as well get ratio rockers too. This will then enable you to choose from the FK series of cams, which I really like. Don't go to crazy with your cam choice on what I presume are stock valve heads? Maybe give them a light fluff n buff...

In regards to oiling, has you case been tapped for full flow? Start with an external filter and then add the sump/extra cooling if you feel you need to at a later date.

Look into getting the parts imported from the states. Beetlejames (I think) on VZi has good connections. You could even look into a pair of second hand idf's off thesamba?

Sounds fun 8)
Jim

StripedHemi said:
Ok so been looking on eBay for carbs, seems there are quite a few dhla's on there

Can they be used running vertically? I know weber dcoe's don't like it which is why the idf's are for.. They are within budget for carbs that I had in mind, some are reconditioned too

I'm afraid dhla's are no good they are side draught only, drla's are the ones you need as they are down draught :D

If you can stretch to IDF's or DRLA's then you'll be glad you did but if you can only afford ICT's then they'll do the job. Decent used carbs do come up on the samba but don't hang around.

A stock crank will be fine for your build but be sure to get the rotating assembly fully balanced for longevity and smoothness too. You'd get away without an oil cooler and deep sump I expect but a full flow filter is a must!

I've just finished running in my Harry Harpics 1776 im running a web cam with bolt up rockers with swivel feet and larger valves. Remote filter,
I went with icts but proper Italian ones rebuilt and re jetted by eurocarb, runs like a dream pulls up hill withno more changing down.

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Tapatalk

the_troupster said:
You'll need bolt up rockers so you may as well get ratio rockers too. This will then enable you to choose from the FK series of cams, which I really like. Don't go to crazy with your cam choice on what I presume are stock valve heads? Maybe give them a light fluff n buff...

In regards to oiling, has you case been tapped for full flow? Start with an external filter and then add the sump/extra cooling if you feel you need to at a later date.

Look into getting the parts imported from the states. Beetlejames (I think) on VZi has good connections. You could even look into a pair of second hand idf's off thesamba?

Sounds fun 8)
Jim

thanks great advice!

im still a little confused by the ratio rockers tho, i'll have to research what they do and why I should use them so I understand that part...

heads are stock yes with the exception of machining for the 90.5's, I wasn't going to do anything with them other than a polish up really..

im not sure about the full flow tbh, there is a blacking plate on the bottom right of the case, would that be for that? or is it for the external filter? sorry im not sure on this..

good advice on the sump also, appreciate it

K@rlos said:
If you can stretch to IDF's or DRLA's then you'll be glad you did but if you can only afford ICT's then they'll do the job. Decent used carbs do come up on the samba but don't hang around.

A stock crank will be fine for your build but be sure to get the rotating assembly fully balanced for longevity and smoothness too. You'd get away without an oil cooler and deep sump I expect but a full flow filter is a must!

yep stock crank for now is fine, I can always go stroker couple of years time when funds allow ;)

I will keep my eyes peeled for some IDF's or DRLA's but having had issues in the past I was planning on buying new and these two options are way over budget brand new, however if a rebuilt set come up then that's a different matter..

Ratio rockers give a higher lift on the valve vs standard rockers. They mechanically multiply the cam lift over the standard (1.1:1 I think), usually 1.25:1 or more.
It is a simple way of getting higher lift, therefore more mixture into the cylinder.

Sent from my GX64 SatCom phone using Tapatalk

jonboylaw said:
Ratio rockers give a higher lift on the valve vs standard rockers. They mechanically multiply the cam lift over the standard (1.1:1 I think), usually 1.25:1 or more.
It is a simple way of getting higher lift, therefore more mixture into the cylinder.

Sent from my GX64 SatCom phone using Tapatalk

perfect thankyou! :D

but it opens up more questions, what would be an acceptable set to go for given the simple spec I have?

cam options will be mild but I haven't looked into which ones and why as yet

StripedHemi said:
K@rlos said:
Do you mean polish the ports?

yeh I assumed just a smooth/polish up will help a bit ?

Mmmmm, I may cause a bit of unrest with my opinion but I'm not a fan of polished ports. Ported yes, polished no. Having a slightly rough texture in the ports causes turbulence and mixes the air & fuel entering the chamber. Match porting and tidying up the ports is the way to go IMO, that's what was done on my 2110.

Thanks guys that's a fair enough explanation...

Non polished it is then :)

Really appreciate all the advice here! In just a few days I've a far better idea of what parts I'm going to be needing for a sensibly built engine

Latest posts