Anyone use Ramps to work under their bus??

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gütterßnipe

Reaction score
I'm down 1 spline at the back and on an adjustable beam at the front - lower profile tyres but not slam ones.

The question is........

Will I be able to get my bus on these Ramps using extensions???

Cheers

Spence

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/car-ramp-extensions

0BFF4699-44B8-41BE-87DC-3E3661933363-4574-0000060B1502B21B.jpg

Id go for a good jack and decent axle stands instead. :)

Cheers Clem,

Wish I could but I have to work out on the street and there is a camber in the road so it could be very dodgy!
I usually drive one side up on the kerb on top of a couple of 6x2 floor joists to get it slightly higher but need to replace my heat exchangers so it will be a bit tricky - fitting my Propex inlet/outlet pipes was a nightmare :(

Does anyone else use ramps to work under their lowered bus?

Thanks

Spence

I use the ramps with a short 1inch thick extension , still very close to scraping.
One spline drop with stock wheels/tyres

Harlequin said:
I use the ramps with a short 1inch thick extension , still very close to scraping.

Trying to imagine this.......I'm guessing your extension isn't like the one in the earlier picture???

SpenceBoosDad said:
Harlequin said:

Trying to imagine this.......I'm guessing your extension isn't like the one in the earlier picture???

its a bit of 1 inch blockboard about a foot long & the width of the ramp so it wedges in tight on the first rung of the ramp.

Harlequin said:
SpenceBoosDad said:
Harlequin said:

its a bit of 1 inch blockboard about a foot long & the width of the ramp so it wedges in tight on the first rung of the ramp.

Ah -I get ya!

would not trust ramps ,had one go on me :shock: ,as for axle stands i do use them but not that keen on them ,i had the same prob as you with a camber in the road so i cut down some sleepers till i could level the bus ,lifted with trolley jack one side then do the other side .i have a drive now and still use blocks of sleeper ,just feels much safer ,i have a set of dolls from cj autos but wont work under those.
sorry to ramble but not nice to have a bus move when you are under it ,good luck :)

dub boy said:
would not trust ramps ,had one go on me :shock: ,as for axle stands i do use them but not that keen on them ,i had the same prob as you with a camber in the road so i cut down some sleepers till i could level the bus ,lifted with trolley jack one side then do the other side .i have a drive now and still use blocks of sleeper ,just feels much safer ,i have a set of dolls from cj autos but wont work under those.
sorry to ramble but not nice to have a bus move when you are under it ,good luck :)

Cheers for this
I'm gonna go down the sleeper route me thinks, and as you say - 1 side at a time.
That's a real good idea

Thanks

Spence

Feel for ya working on the side of the road, I have the same situation, no drive etc, used to hate working under my T4 as the buses used to fly passed inches from my head/feet as I was lying there :shock: . Thankfully my bay is at a friends house and he has driveway and garage.(bus won't fit in garage but at least I can sort bits in it)
Good luck and stay safe. 8)

I've got a drive but can't get my bus on as it has a bit if an incline and I'm too low 8)
So I too work under her in the road using two blocks of wood to drive onto first then I can get my trolley jack under jack it up and then get the axle stands in action I also leave the trolley jack in situ if possible as I'm paranoid after a guy not far from me was working under his split with jack only and he was found hours later by his mrs dead under the van as the jack had failed :? She looked out the window an hour earlier and assumed he was still tinkering :cry:
I always tell my mrs to keep the coffee flowing so she can check I'm still moving ;)

SpenceBoosDad said:
dub boy said:

Cheers for this
I'm gonna go down the sleeper route me thinks, and as you say - 1 side at a time.
That's a real good idea

Thanks

Spence

We made ramps from sleepers and screwed them together using long screws then welded a small frame around them, a bit of a pain cutting them :( but they are solid and strong enough for hgv and trailers. Fitters feel safe under them :)

Good luck
Nesquik

Ive got ramps i sometimes use. Have to use wooden blocks to get the bumper clear until im on them. Never had any problems as they are good and strong.
Feel safer with ramps than axel stands to be honest, especially if you have some tricky nuts your having to put some weight behind.
If its wheels off then you cant use ramps anyway, but always make sure you attack those nuts and bolts that havent moved for years with care. I have seen cars move on axel stands as well when the pressure is applied
Be safe.

Thanks for all your advice and support guys!

I've decided after thinking long and hard to get a mate with a workshop to do the job for me this time, in the spring I'll be making ramps out of railway sleepers that will be shaped into the camber to give a horizontal surface to drive up at the kerbside.

Until then, I can only dream of a driveway..........

Cheers

Spence

Finally dug my ramps out to stick on here for what I made, I've had my dads lorry on these no problems :mrgreen:

I used old scaffold boards to make them

AFEAEBCA-FB65-4421-BE45-6E970C950096-5384-000002B601FA05F1.jpg

EA9A4F72-91AF-4846-B589-402C011BAB10-5384-000002B5FC132054.jpg

9615E743-A477-48D3-BD2E-36383C206376-5384-000002B60741289A.jpg

And go together nicely for storage

We also made a 6 tier set which is handy :mrgreen:

My mate has a set of these, which I might borrow to steam clean the underside of my 68. Thats not lowered though just yet.

27032012049.jpg

27032012054.jpg

Not exactly practical though! :lol:

He thought he'd get his van in the garage on them but cant :shock:

Latest posts