Awnings - which one to go for?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
froggy said:
Going to re-open this debate with a quick question.
We are now looking to purchase a Khyam but is it better to go for a figure of 8 fixing or poles

We have the Kyham Motordome Family, it worked really well in wet Wales, with enough space for four of us to huddle out of the rain :cry: Was quick to put up extra.

We went for the pole fixing which is nice and secure in windier weather, BUT doesn't fit with a roof rack, so we ended up using the awning as a stand alone tent most of the time, will invest in the figure of eight as well and cut as reguired to fit with the roof rack, as Graham as done above.

Depends if you have a roof rack or not really as too which is the best method. No roof rack , go for poles, worth the extra cash I figure.

Im thinking of selling My Khyam Family, its 12months old used 3 times with ground sheet and pole type fixing, got a Puck on its way :D

Was gonna wait till the spring to sell, but if anyone on here is interested get in touch.

Just

creationblue said:
Im thinking of selling My Khyam Family, its 12months old used 3 times with ground sheet and pole type fixing, got a Puck on its way :D

Was gonna wait till the spring to sell, but if anyone on here is interested get in touch.

Just

pm'd you

leon said:
creationblue said:

Just

pm'd you

Is it the motordome sleeper?
Cheers

Sorry going back to the Which Awning question, me & my gang are complete novices as well & we have just bought an awning from a company http://www.driveaway-awnings.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

We went for the Kyham motordome sleeper, as when i explained never done camping or tents in my life & i liked the look of the Outdoor Revolution Nomad +2, the lovely man said NO LOVE THAT'S NOT THE AWNING FOR YOU.

As we have 2 children under the age of 5 and never done tents - he suggested Kyham as they "pop-up" from the bag (the poles are already built in) & it will always go back in the bag & speed is the essence when you have kids

So we invested in a Kyham Motordome sleeper 2008 model £399... It was more than what we wanted to spend but it did "pop-up" in 5 mins (we watched the DVD) & it did go back in the bag & as the lovely man said "if you don't get on with camping, you'll always sell a kyham", does he know something that i don't?

I think for us, first time novice campers with small kids, we've got something that we can grow into, easy to use & we'll look the part!

Would throughly recommend driveaway-awnings.co.uk as a company to speak to as their website is helpful and the staff are very knowable too

Don't forget to let us know what you decided on

BIDDY2101

Agreed

We have a Motordome Sleeper and its great, it does everything it says on the box :mrgreen:

Motordome Sleeper is the best...no question and Fishbrain has them up for £400 at Bus Types so perhaps there is a deal to be had for Earlybayers?

Bought a Motordome Sleeper, easier than my 3 man to put up. Khyam and the rapid pole system is worth the cash rather than spending time threading poles... time is better spent on a camp chair supping a cold one than wrestling with poles...

I've had a Khyam Motordome for 3 years, v easy to put up & it's never leaked (even through two weeks of downpours in Cornwall last year!) :D

Motordome sleeper all the way for me, so easy to pitch (although it takes a lot longer than 5 mins) and loads of room. :mrgreen:
DSC01229.jpg

I've just bought a Motordome sleeper, so easy to put up; I can’t wait to use it :)

I did have a Royal traveller, it did the job, but a Khyam is in another league!

windsurfer said:
I'm so impressed with it, very easy to pitch, sturdy and loads of room. Do it :mrgreen:

are you pole or figure of eight ? I have one and went with the figure of eight but am wondering just how much it can take before it pops off, but then I do not want to clamp something onto the gutters.

These might be worth trying as another alternative

http://www.justkampers.com/shop/camping/leisure-camping-outdoor-accessories/awning-tent-accessories/awning-suction-clamps-mounting-brackets-pack-of-3-no-drilling-req.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

These guys http://www.PenroseOutdoors.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; are doing the Khyam Motordome Sleeper for £299 and only £3.50 postage.

2008 model but a great deal all the same.

We've got the kyham Drive away and its HUGE!!

Easy enough to put up and has plenty of room for our family of 4 (+ dog on occasions)
The sewn in ground sheet has been a real bonus with this years rain, as our youngest child is still crawling.

I started out with the figure of eight fixings but found that unless you have them under good tension (not so easy to always park in exactly the same spot each day)they lift out in strong winds so I've bought some gutter clamps and a pole which I've found to be much better.

anyone know the differences between the 2008 & 2009 motordome sleepers?

Thinking about getting one and if it's worth the extra cash for the newer model!

Thanks,

Larry

Latest posts