Barn Built Rivera

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob b

Reaction score
Yo guys so I've been meaning todo this forever but never got round to it so anyway here goes I got the bus in September 2010 it had only been in he country a few months so these are the photo's I got before I went to see it
3b3f66ae.jpg

2dffc731.jpg

cf5528f3.jpg

feaeff1f.jpg

841512e1.jpg

469b07f1.jpg

So I new it looked pretty solid an a good price so went an got it
26b94091.jpg

94e7734e.jpg

cd0cf304.jpg

Once I got it home I couldnt get over how amazing it was
65f2e3bc.jpg

41cf84b0.jpg

3695e55e.jpg

Then I went home an couldn't wait to get down the barn again where I was keeping it
It stayed out side for a few weeks as we had my mate sams bug in the barn that we was getting ready for volksworld 2011 but that's another story will post a few photos anyway

First proper day on the bus
fa2ce69d.jpg

c1f64eda.jpg

dc299930.jpg

53c574e2.jpg

That's where it was living waiting for the barn space
Only got one side polished that day The following weekend I got the other side done
47470f73.jpg

a63b0248.jpg

14443137.jpg

76a00001.jpg

56e1de8a.jpg

a8f07f95.jpg

0d4af990.jpg

The first an last time the missus come down to help
f7a7d4aa.jpg

7180b555.jpg

As you can see I like taking photo's of it so
I was polIshing the outside the missus was cleaning the seats an Tom was doin the dash
de500608.jpg

Before an after good work Jo :)
345af06b.jpg

Cheers Tom
78f84e48.jpg

I know I should have left the polishing till it was almost ready for the road
But I didn't have much Money after getting it so I was just doin what I could for free

So to to make it almost water tight I got a new front seal this was one of the easies jobs todo with the help of Tom an Sam well Sam watched lol
489ebcd8.jpg

b8bd192c.jpg

Really happy with how solid it was under there
41d30162.jpg

Back in an good to go if the engine was running :)

5cff84b2.jpg

So we got on with sams as we had a load todo an to get it out the barn as my bus didn't like the weather
47fcab5b.jpg

Doin a few bits to try an get the engine running from what I had been told when I got it there had been an engine fire an hadn't ran since 1994 I think we spent one evenings on a Saturday an got it running :) :)
Having a best mate that work at absolute comes in pretty handy too Tom got me a bumper off Si his boss as you can see Tom was happy to see it on
df5adf3b.jpg

dfe13065.jpg

Spent a some fortune on this lot so
a63dcdca.jpg

617f1654.jpg

Sorted a few wires an cleaned a few earths an we got a full set of lights :)
c2fb973d.jpg

God knows how long that had been ther but got it out am clean the area around it
b8dcb754.jpg

The weather was getting crap so we really need to get SAMs bug done
5151487c.jpg

So we took it to absolute an spent a load of evening an nights getting shit done :)
07733e64.jpg

1d1a733a.jpg

Sams getting better all the time
e1ba4b83.jpg

We had to eat to work late good job we have good misses too as we wasn't seeing much of them.
05757ead.jpg

Renewed all my brakes
9e1a0657.jpg

Tom tidied my wiring in the engine bay
2e383446.jpg

We got everything else sorted an get it ready for mot an this happened
a7835320.jpg

So now I had that I could sort the reg an get on with the proper work :)
Sams down as we like them
3284bac6.jpg

An also most ready for volksworld I had to spend some time
On that sorting a few bits out an giving it a full machine polish
This it what it looked like at volksworld
1a61ee86.jpg

Back to my bus anyway after a good weekend at volksworld
This is the last time my bus was stock
Height
47d02457.jpg

7dec6a8e.jpg

c4280179.jpg

5d7faf67.jpg

11d46bb0.jpg

Then this happened I made some huge axle stands at work so
I didn't have to work to
Much on my back
467eb452.jpg

a4cd6de8.jpg

Nice bit if narrow beam love
d5605ba0.jpg

As I wanted to go super slammer style I did a beam raise
f2b19b63.jpg

b9ed2ef2.jpg

Took a lot of work an I don't think it was the easies way todo it but it's done now
ce1b6c17.jpg

948d2295.jpg

Working In a barn got really dusty so had a sweep up
2b9e8f2c.jpg

With doin the raise there was a lot of other work todo too
c1dea47b.jpg

132a1515.jpg

776c682f.jpg

c9e7be29.jpg

All about making it look as factory as I can
Then it was time for the notch work
I feels a little bad cutting all the og paint an metal out but I do
Love a slammed bay So it's goin to be worth it
92ac5773.jpg

028ac5f1.jpg

693c8e14.jpg

bf3703b0.jpg

9fa8e72c.jpg

74a34eda.jpg

Done :)
Tub time
bbaa24b9.jpg

80eef742.jpg

1aeb0234.jpg

Making the seats work on the og runners was a lot of work but worth it
ae8a7667.jpg

Trial fittings wheels
90471f3c.jpg

I had to get the centres machined out to fit over the grease cap but I do like the look
Of them an narrow too
70b096ec.jpg

Rebuilt my front brake an painted everything up
fed42407.jpg

1f7ca2f3.jpg

Next it was rear end work time so engine out first
ffb24f51.jpg

Then I started on the Beetle box an engine raise work as it was a crossover I made use of the rear gearbox mount had to trim loads off an trail fit so
Much but it was really worth it an the driving an clearance it wicked
7e4073be.jpg

This is stage one of the engine raise as I had to re work it later on
Started making the rear chassis notchs too
6469328e.jpg

2d38adf2.jpg

3c594b88.jpg

So there done ready to go in
e110b495.jpg

7bdd9ff3.jpg

1bbb1dac.jpg

Boom an there in :) god it looks easy posting photo's like this
I dread to think how many hours I've spent down the barn working on it
Also the engine was out I though I may as well send my tinware for powder coating as we always send loads at work it was easy for me an cheap too
6f33e328.jpg

As the engine hasn't been ran that much when it did it smoked loads I think this is the reason some animal had been living under the tinware an in the fan housing
d321bbd0.jpg

ea86fc26.jpg

One engine ready for a clean so I took
It too work an got the plus 10 on it come up nice if I do say so my self
ed0f9d17.jpg

d0e9efdb.jpg

37e597b1.jpg

b4741ece.jpg

Really happy with how it looked my good mate tom put all new seals on the engine where he could so there is no oil leaks now
Also got the tinware back

5b512467.jpg

With a bit of magic an loads of Tom doin more then me an stu helping this happened
8529560e.jpg

26a5eb77.jpg

Borrowed the engine stand from work :) That reminds me I need to take that back
c6779769.jpg

Tom also sorted me out with some itc weber that were in mint condition an a bargain price
Cheers dude
3bfa2f54.jpg

14554a88.jpg

All ready to go back in

But after a mate of ours had done an engine an box raise on his late bay mine didn't seem that much of a raise so we gave it some more love an welding an cutting the second time it all seemed better
24b63fff.jpg

We also reset the a arm brackets as I didn't want load of camber when it was fully slammed
2671a563.jpg

d7f1cfa4.jpg

By this time it was a week before Volksworld 2012 as I was planning to make that my first show so we had a list of jobs we needed todo
03a0f1e8.jpg

With working full time an having the Friday off already for vowo we could only do nights I think that week before vowo we was down there ever night till 3-4am
An had work at 8:30am but we was goin to get it done
Engine back in
550d82ba.jpg

6e88882f.jpg

You can see the raise there is about 2-2 1/2 inch
Rear tub time
d782cc3b.jpg

d6fdc1d9.jpg

4fe432dd.jpg

Finished them in the nick of time so it was on to the brakes
e7a21027.jpg

After spending hours trying to get the brakes to bleed it wouldn't happen an the gear selector was rubbish too we called it a day on the Saturday morning of the volksworld weekend went home an got showered an went down had an amazing weekend with all the lads an loads of good food an beer in the bear an forgot all about the bus then getting back Sunday I starting thinking about why the brakes wouldn't bleed after talking to deano in the bear I was thinking my nos master cylinder needed bench bleeding before fitting so when I got chance I went down the barn took it off an took it to work after trying to bench bleed it there was still something wrong so I took it apart an found the very last seal
On the piston was torn so the hunt for some ate seals began after a few weeks of getting no where I got told about this company called past parts so sent them there an they matched all my seals up an sent them back so I got working brakes an sorted the shift rod so we got an mot booked for Saturday at 3 so we said we would spend the morning an have it on the ramp at absolute an just check over it all
916ff75e.jpg

At half 2 we had a massive rush to get here
56e1ebcb.jpg

A bit of a wait an a good chat with the mot man an we go this
fc457b70.jpg

so we got back to castle donington
d590eb82.jpg

Enjoyed that

Then as it had been in the barn for months with out a wash I gave it a right good clean
06f1cead.jpg

46dfd12c.jpg

Sorry about the front plate it was mot spec :)
dd9e7d4a.jpg

061d6d44.jpg

dd9e7d4a.jpg

Then a cheeky garage shoot

6e2519f0.jpg

This is the quick version of how it really happened an there is so many storys an other things I can tell you about it but guess they will be fun to tell when Im sharing a beer with a few of you at a show some time soon I need to say a massive thinks to Tom for all his help an ideas
An all the DNV lads for the love an help
An tea :)

hope you enjoyed the read

Rob

wow, all you folks blow me away, this was a great thread, thanks. So much good work goes on with everyone here, I'm limited on what I can do at my desert home, (and money) no welder and I have no shop, just a dirt yard and a Joshua tree to work under, but the more I read and see here keeps me inspired to get the 71 going......good work

that is some transformation. what are you welding with, your welds look substantial.

Johnny said:
that is some transformation. what are you welding with, your welds look substantial.

Cheers dude I used a snap on cebora 150 mig
Glad you like anyway dude

An thanks every one for your feedback the interior isn't far Of now too

Rob

Rob b said:
Johnny said:

Rob

are you welding on full power for the chassis notches? it almost looks likg tig, pretty impressive :msn4:

Johnny said:
Rob b said:
Johnny said:

Rob

are you welding on full power for the chassis notches? it almost looks likg tig, pretty impressive :msn4:

Yeah it was on full power for the chassis an notch work I love welding thick metal as I spend most of my days welding rusty e-types

Cheers for all the comments makes it all worth it

Rob

Super stuff. Wish I had those skills and mates with those skills. Takes me an absolute age to do anything bus related :cry:

Des

8) YES, glad you've unveiled it and made the world a cool place. And yes the workmanship are that good in the flesh / metal. Rob "Don't do things by halfs" b

you got the rear springplates ?

I'll have to get mine finished so we can hook them up :D

dubscum said:
8) YES, glad you've unveiled it and made the world a cool place. And yes the workmanship are that good in the flesh / metal. Rob "Don't do things by halfs" b

you got the rear springplates ?

I'll have to get mine finished so we can hook them up :D

I havnt yet dude but there next on the list then the back can come down more an yeah dude I wanna see your on the road how you getting on ?

Cheers rob

Latest posts