Berg shifters, whats 'the trick'?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neilswheels

Reaction score
Year of Your Van(s)
Van Type
Ex Westy,
I've got a lovely Berg shifter, but I cant get all the gears. I thought it was me, so i gave it to a pro, who had the same problem. tried a CSP and it was fine, tried my berg in another bus, same issue. So what's the trick' in fitting these? Surprised cos Berg stuff usually does exactly what it says on the tin!!

Have you removed your old shift plate and replaced it with the berg one? Are you also using the new raised quick shift plate?

And which way are you mounting the shift plate? Stupid question but do you maybe have it upside down?

When i got mine it didn't fit "out of the box" despite being a RDH shifter on a RDH bus. (Couldn't select reverse).

It was a matter of turning the base plate around....

Ah I'm glad some one else has a problem! (sorry)

I think I totalled 5 hours or something stupid to do mine!!?

A CSP didn't fit mine, the shaft under the bus wasn't long enough so got a geneberg last week from Carl. On Friday I set about fitting it. Long story short I either had reverse on the button and 3rd and 4th or all gears but I had to push the button for 1st and 2nd, that's how I left it for my weekend away drive on Saturday. Sunday morning I went out and had another go and got it working.

What I did - put it in 2nd, undo the bolts and I gave the large base part a really strong wiggle. Did the bolts up and voila!

And just to confirm the folded bits face up and the curved bit is on the drivers side (RHD).

I put a washer under both of the mounting bolts to raise it slightly. Did the trick for me :)

Thanks people, a few things to try. The Berg instructions say I may need to cut the floor or something! I'll try the 2nd gear thing (which is the gear I cant get) and the washers, see what happens.

Latest posts