Best engine for 'Driveability'

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boatbuilder

Reaction score
Hi all

Just wondering what engine is a good choice for a useable early bay. Does such a thing exist? My 1600 with twin webers is ok, but noisy as hell when drving at "normal" everyday speeds (60-70mph). Surely someone has come up with an engine that can produce the same power and speed at lower revs?

Hi,

The 1776 in my bug is pretty loud (has twin 44's) - but it is very driveable through the rev-range, and I hope to at least try this in our bay at some point in the future. Though maybe with some smaller carbs :)

I'm currently using the bug as my daily - whilst placed on client site - and drive 40+ miles a day. The journey (Walton-on-Thames->Windsor) is a mixture of A-roads, dual carriageways and towns and the bug is happy at all times (although the Kennedy 1700lb clutch can get a little weary at times!!).

Cheers,

Mike

There are only 3 engine sizes that are coolio for a bay to avoid most issues. 1600/1641 with twin 34s, a strongly built 1776 see Bruces thread for about the strongest reliable 1776 you could do and then its only really worth going to the big one a 2.1/2.2 as with all of the others you can have loads of heating / distortion issues due to thickness of walls etc being bored out to the max.

Dont get me wrong you can quite happily use 1835 and 1915s etc but there always seems to cough up a few probs.

I know that most people will say that they have had a 1835 or 1915 for a bazillion years and its been fine, but i have seen and heard about more of this type of engine having problems than the others mentioned.

Just my opinion and a couple of engine builders that i know :wink: please dont hurt me :wink:

I cant find that thread can you link it easy.

i was thinking about a big lump but reliability is more of an issue tbh

Our bus came with 3 gearboxes - one of which we believe is a 2L box - yep, how lucky are we :D

I'm currently thinking of ways to explain to the missus that the 1776 just won't be suitable with the 2L box and that the bus will need a 2007 or 2110 LOL

Johnnyâ„¢ said:
I cant find that thread can you link it easy.

i was thinking about a big lump but reliability is more of an issue tbh

here you go dude 8)

http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?t=14&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

the new engine is near the end, cool as funk! :wink:

Latest posts