bit bored of imports

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The only issue i can see is that using an importer is the same as using a dealer, you will always pay more for a car / van from a dealer than you would if buying privately.

There are decent UK vans around but your going to pay for the fact that someone else has put there own time and money into it and will want to regain some of it back, then there are cheap projects that can be bought reasonable if you have the time and money to do it your self.

OR

You take a risk on an imported version being better than what you can buy here, but this means buying on pictures and importing yourself OR paying the premiums for someone else to import it for you.

My philosophy is that they will all rust eventually. So i bought a RHD van in resonable condition and i get the practice repairing the rust. When it goes again i know what to do :wink: . And if it goes again i know it was my fault :lol:

Hmm...i can upstand both sides of the argument but i do have one thing to say on the matter........
An example......
This years VolksWorld show EB line-up. Lovely busses but.............nearly all of them were left hookers!!! This, i feel, is a shame :cry:

I wonder if you went to a show in say France.....would the EB line-up consist of nearly all right-hand drives? I very much doubt it. :|

Surely the number of left hookers around is also based on the fact that more lhd early bays were made than rhd ones as there are more markets that take lhd, the US being the biggest one of all.

I'm a relative newcomer to the VW scene and I bought an import as I simply don't have the time at the moment to fix up a rusty rhd example, I want to enjoy this summer and hopefully many more driving 'Hank' around with my family. I work away a lot and simply don't have the time to spend every minute I'm not at work fixing up a van.

I dont care if you have a lhd import or a rhd Uk bus (or Oz) i love em all 8)

For me tho personally I will always prefer a RHD bus and see that as a plus for the rareness of it in the UK. I only buy genuine UK Vws and thats just my thing, like my notch is one of earliest known to be sent straight from the factory to the UK, love it.

I say bring them all over here, then we can start exporting back and make a few quid :D

To be honest I couldn`t give a fook where buses come from , it would be a much smaller and less diverse scene if we all had RHD similar buses , . Asfor me and my van , I 100% wanted an Early Panel Van which was as original as possible . And after looking hard for 6 months nitto :cry:

So only option was The Samba site , and 95% of buses on there are LHD but i was not fussed so just got what i wanted :D

at this point i`d like to point out that http://www.vwclassics.co.uk only deal in RHD busses british or imports ......i can`t get my head round not being able to see when i enter the motorway so that`s what i sell.

Imports are nice, i'd have to get used to a LHD bus, it would be strange..

i do take pride having a UK RHD bus on the road, surviving 37 years of british weather :D

its not so bad driving LHD , i use to jump from a RHD to a LHD quite regular , you get use to it 8)

i drive a LHD 23 window samba for weddings on occasion, i dont find any problem, i just keep trying to get in the passenger side like a 'toolbag' :roll: , and scare the crap out of my passengers into the bargain :twisted:

this is also a problem for importers , i have had a vw shipped here in a shared container (big mistake) and it seems the other person can not afford to pay the £5000 vat and import duty on their purchase , which now means i can not have my vehicle till they have paid , whenever that will be :evil: and guess what ? theres nothing i can do about it :(

Johnny said:
i drive a LHD 23 window samba for weddings on occasion, i dont find any problem, i just keep trying to get in the passenger side like a 'toolbag' :roll: , and scare the crap out of my passengers into the bargain :twisted:

I've driven LHD for years and still occasionally get in the passenger side at filling stations. :roll: :lol:

super-craig said:
this is also a problem for importers , i have had a vw shipped here in a shared container (big mistake) and it seems the other person can not afford to pay the £5000 vat and import duty on their purchase , which now means i can not have my vehicle till they have paid , whenever that will be :evil: and guess what ? theres nothing i can do about it :(

Ouch. Never heard that one before, there's nothing you can do? :?

apparently nothing i can do till its paid for :cry: lets hope they can pay , because i dont know what will happen if it goes to auction :shock: im just waiting for answers from other involved and the powers that be

I presume it's someone you know, you went halves on a container?

One of the things that's really great about the whole vw bus thing is that they are all unique in some way, everyone adds their own personal touch to a bus. Some people love stock and trawl the four corners of the earth trying to find that final elusive bit of their interior, and then other people seem to want an almost completely aftermarket bus, but I reckon most of us are somewhere in between.

I personally don't think that I would buy a RHD drive import (however I do reserve the right to change my mind! :D ) But if that's what people want and they are happy to pay then great, fair play to them, and if that isn't what you want then don't, no one is forcing anyone to buy imports and like someone already pointed out once they arrive in windy, wet and salty blighty they aren't going to be rust free forever.

In any business people have to take care of their profit margins and they also have to take advantage of increasing that profit margin should the chance arise. Obviously as in anything some people will take the mickey but like I said no one is forcing people to buy. Although it may seem like it no one actually NEEDS a LHD rust free import. I won't go as far as to say that no one needs a bus because that would be sacreligious and Bernard the God of RHD early bays would strike me down with his mighty spoon.

My bus is my bus and I love it, including the rust. It's just another challenge that keeps me on my toes and all part of the fun of owning a bus.

remembering the age of the newest early bays the scene would be a lot smaller if we all had to drive rhd vans! :wink: i wanted a crewcab bay 10 years ago and travelled the country looking at sheds,im not a welder so i ended up having to buy a lhd crossover, :D lhd is no problem driving wise,and my van has loads of surface rust anyway,as long as you enjoy ya van its fine with me. :)

wow! didnt realy think that there would have been so many replies to a tread i started whilst a little bit drunk on saturday night.

Latest posts