BMD serpentine pulley - issues with bottom pulley

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marriedblonde

Reaction score
I've bought a serpentine pulley for my new lump.

The bottom pulley - am I missing something, the crank is keyed. I slot the pulley on. How doesn't it hit the engine case? I can't seen anything in there to stop it catching on the case...

Thanks,

J.

PM zed on latebay he had to throw his serpentine pulley out for exactly the same reason. From memory he had to go back to stock pulley, might be a bad batch I guess?

if you have a stock pulley to hand measure the depth of the shoulder and compare them.

Not wishing to sound funny but everyone that's had these serpentine pulley kits has had problems. They look great but if it were me I'd either stick an OEM pulley on or an equaliser.

Des

Put a shim behind the pulley. There are some kits for sale made to align crank pulley to alternator pulley. Just buy it and use all the shims needed.

http://www.slideperformance.com/cales-sous-poulies-ep-3-mm-pour-vw-cox-combi-karmann.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sorry, it's a French shop but you know better than me good uk vw shops...

kombiporsche said:
Put a shim behind the pulley. There are some kits for sale made to align crank pulley to alternator pulley. Just buy it and use all the shims needed.

http://www.slideperformance.com/cales-sous-poulies-ep-3-mm-pour-vw-cox-combi-karmann.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sorry, it's a French shop but you know better than me good uk vw shops...

Thank you for the heads up

J

5erge said:
Not wishing to sound funny but everyone that's had these serpentine pulley kits has had problems. They look great but if it were me I'd either stick an OEM pulley on or an equaliser.

Des

When I asked my engine builder what he thinks of them his response was: their on equal par with Porsche fans.... Shit, they over complicate a proven design :| We're going with a Berg equaliser and a spin-tru on my 2110. Even before Hector said that I'd heard bad things about them.

Karl

The jury is out on the serpentine kits. I think you will find one engine builder who is VERY highly regarded recommends them...

Anyway back to my question. It appears a lack of knowledge on my part is the reason I thought I had an issue. What I didn't know, and couldn't see, is there is a washer thingy at the end of the crank, it looked to be the same as my case, hence I thought it was... But its not, so no problem after all. Just need to get it fitted, was due to be done today but with one thing and another it will be monday.

J.

I've had one on my 1776 for the last couple of years as I destroyed my stock top pulley whilst giving it some welli leaving vanfest
Haven't had any problem
It's a BMD iron cross

Latest posts