Boot hinge pin replacement

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Molbyj

Reaction score
Is there a knack to replace these?

My circlip thingy is missing and so the pin has worked itself out a bit causing the door to drop slightly.

730EE2C6-2A3C-4CE0-8608-3699A10E5914_zpswlezqg6v.jpg

836F7341-3CEC-4014-BD76-C99CF3527927_zpsozvnyyey.jpg

I ended up taking the door off thinking it would help but I don't seem to be getting anywhere :oops:

Any tips would be gratefully received ;)

Ta, Ross

THERES A HELL OF A LOAD FROM TORSION BARS,think a punch might do it.using a bay rear door mech (and much modded door on the rear of my rodded Austin Devon Countryman)and nearly had my fingers a few times .open or closed its still loaded and imposible to remove bars as far as I can see as riveted and I need to repair pivot points on hinge(oblong bits on your photo)as speading apart,washer welded on peg looks like my fix.

There is a VW way to take the assembly off but would strongly suggest you do this as a last resort, as 67panel says there's massive tension in these. Couldn't you put the door back on and get someone to use the door to manoevre into the right position so you can punch the pin back in?

I gave my mate a hand to take the torsion assembly off a late split recently on a customers van he's restoring. He had found the og instructions and had to fab up a special tool which looked like a big, bent tent peg with a handle, that gets inserted a certain way and you pull down on it to take the load off the bars. I had this honour whilst he tapped out the pins. Boy, it was hard work and felt like it would break your wrist or jaw if it went wrong. I'm dreading the call to put it all back together. I'll see if he can send a link or something as the tool was simple and it would help you get that back in.

Al

Nice one fellas, thanks for the info.

Either way it sounds like I've got a right job on on here. I think I'm going to try and push the pin back in again but maybe I'll remove the over head locker this time.

It's never easy is it?!!

Latest posts