• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Early Bay and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

BWA (>USB?) 2.4 type 4 motor up for sale

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Might be able to deliver if that helps @ 40p/mile return trip?

Genuine 103 mm mahle barrels and pistons
• Match ported manifolds
• Extensively reworked heads
• 3 Angle Valve job
• Clearanced case, lightened and balanced
• Heads have a 58cc chamber
• Compression ratio set at 8.9-1
• Schleicher 324° Cam with special grind
• Powerband from 3,500 to 7,500 rpm
• Twin weber 44 carbs/linkage
• BAS thermo oil block/external oil temp bypass
• Genuine Porsche cooling; 11 blade fan with built in regulator
• Balanced rods/crank/lightened flywheel
• All lightened /balanced/blueprinted and match weighted
• 8mm stainless valves
• Re-worked 2 litre Porsche crank, nitride, balanced
• New barrel shims
• New pushrod tubes
• New chromoly retainers
• New dual valve springs
• New DIS-IX Ignition System for 009 distributor

24_type4_01.jpg

24_type4_03.jpg

24_type4_04.jpg

24_type4_05.jpg

24_type4_06.jpg

24_type4_07.jpg

24_type4_08.jpg

24_type4_09.jpg

24_type4_12.jpg

BWA time; http://www.buseswithattitude.co.uk/cms/index.php?page=retro

quote; This is more a driving, rather than a racing engine (although if the compression was increased, I was told 14’s would be reached without trying too hard), it’s a silky smooth motor with torque and instant power from all rev ranges or speeds… opposed to a type 1 motor which relies on rpm and/or dropping gears etc to make power or get moving.

Type 4’s are so superior it is painfull to think of building or buying a big bucks type 1 engine which run stressed, hot, and make less power than a decent type 4 anyway!

Brand new DIS-IX Distributorless Ignition System For the 009 Distributor fitted.

Triple the energy of Conventional Electronic Ignition Systems! It includes all electronics, custom ultra high energy coil pack, silicone spark plug wires, and all wiring, connectors and mounting hardware.

• Max HP
• 60,000+ volts output
• Instant starting in any weather
• Maintenance free

24_type4_18.jpg

Did I mention it comes complete with a special stainless BAS 4 into 1 merged header?, it has separate risers to prevent the head studs pulling under warm up (like a Porsche) it’s has a totally merged system with springed collector, all stainless etc. sounds great

naff video – great engine!

[youtube]PGAlUErtrzA[/youtube]

For those that asked some pics of the exhaust…

BAS_type4_exhaust_01.jpg

BAS_type4_exhaust_02.jpg

BAS_type4_exhaust_03.jpg

Bosal 248-690 ALU
93 44 NR 6

BAS_type4_exhaust_04.jpg

BAS_type4_exhaust_06.jpg

(mislaid a couple of the springs somewhere, but should be easy/cheap enough to get a couple of replacements)

Ahnendorp VW typ4-21158
BAS_type4_exhaust_08.jpg

That's a sweet looking engine mate. Do you have it up on latebay also? Most EB's other than 72's need a Type 1 engine right? So more likely to make a sale to owner of a late bay. I'm still learning this stuff so correct me if I'm wrong!

‘This is more a driving, rather than a racing engine, it’s a silky smooth motor with torque and instant power from all rev ranges or speeds.

It is in its element on the motorways or for street use, it pulls smoothly, with no flat spots from low low speeds in almost any gear, and if you plant it at 80 mph, it will spin up easily to trounce any one trying to overtake you!’

Latest posts