Cam questions

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kaboosie

Reaction score
Started stripping down my 1600 twin port and notice cam lobes are pitted. Was thinks of putting a performance cam in. What's the best one and can i use the standard rockers. Also is it worth upgrading to 1641 Pistons? Heard they can warp you heads.
Cheers

Kaboosie said:
Started stripping down my 1600 twin port and notice cam lobes are pitted. Was thinks of putting a performance cam in. What's the best one and can i use the standard rockers. Also is it worth upgrading to 1641 Pistons? Heard they can warp you heads.
Cheers

Engle 100 or stretch to some 1.25's and get a 110 ;) 1641 barrels are fine.

Okay thanks. So what size are standard rocker and how can I identify them?

My 1641 has stock rockers, a 110 cam and twin 34s - drives really nice (well it did, before a valve spring failed).
Upgrading to ratio rockers is on my future list, but I don't feel that it is necessary from the outset.

w100 or w110 are both good I went with a W110 because I'm going to use it in my 2110cc stroker build,,, soon
but works great in the 1600 right now, 40 IDF's and deepsump bugpack header
stock rockers are all you need ;) HD single springs are a must with the w110 ;)

P.S. you'll need to replace your oil pump if you're going to a bolt up cam (which these are).

If you are going to replace cam get a 'cam kit' which includes camshaft, gearwheel, followers, heavy duty springs, valve spring retainers and collets. Its a wise precaution to fit new valves as well There are two types of cam kits, Engle and Scat,I have fitted Scat and had no problems fitted with standard rockers and Weber twinchoke IDF's. Initial running the cam in is essential.As gvee says change oil pump. As an after thought I have tried a 009 and a SVDA distributor with electronic ignition and found the SVDA fitted with pentium feeding vacumm to be better. More docile at low revs and just as good as 009 other wise. To this you will have to tap intake manifolds, two either side and feed to pentium and then to distributor. I use Crane Cams electronic Ignition, not cheap but very good.
Robert

Which scat cam did you fit Robert? Would I need new push rods and cam bearings as well?

You can get away with a C35 in a 1600. Works well with ported, big valve heads.
Checkout this guy's YouTube channel and look for "super 1600"
http://youtu.be/o7g5ppx-kLU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sent from my GX64 SatCom phone using Tapatalk

As you will see from info about me I don't have a Type 2 but I have a Karmann Ghia. I rebuilt my original enginea 3 years ago using a Scat C25 cam, it was very good,equivilant to an Engle 110. I was offered good money for this engine so built another engine with a Scat C35. There is a difference in performance but for what I need if I sell this engine I will build another engine with a C25.It would be false ecomony not to fit new camshaft bearings as well as main and conrod bearing when you have the engine striped down. I would advice fitting double thrust camshaft bearing , a little bit more expensive but better. I have never found it nessary to fit new pushrods but check yours to make sure they straight, ie roll them on flat surface. If by any chance you have a bent ones DO NOT try to straighten,get new ones. Another thing to replace is oil pressure release valves and springs. Good luck with rebuild hope my advice is of help to you.
Robert

Cheers again boys. Bloody campers costing my a fortune. Them parts aren't cheap, about £1100 I think.

£1100 !!! :?: If you shop around you should be able to get all parts including 1641cc barrels and piston for about half that price doing it yourself. !! :idea: :idea:
Robert

Parts list is for new Pistons, cam kit, oil cooler, oil pump, push rod tubes, head bolts, seal kit, heat exchangers and vs sports exhaust. And a few other bits, machine 7 seem to be the cheapest :lol:

Latest posts