Camping meals/food.

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Velgreeno

Reaction score
Hey folks. What do you all like to cook/eat when you're away, does anyone cook full on meals in their buses, have bbq's, takeaways or just whatever is in your bus/ fridge/ cool box at the time or is it just a drink fest ha. Intrigued to see what you veggies eat when you're away too if anyone is. Also silly question but where do you store your dry foods like cereals, tins, etc in your buses ? 🤙.

I’ve got a few standards that I’ll use most trips. Firstly is sausages. I’ll buy any of the sausages that are on special at Asda in the reduced section, then take them home, and I usually bag them up in fours then freeze them. The idea being that the frozen sausages will gradually thaw but help keep the Stella cold while doing it. Last weekend I had a bag of twelve that I forgot to re bag so I plonked them all in the pan and the dogs in our gang had a few each to go with their tea. Youngs frozen fish , boil in the bag with parsley sauce helps with the Stella management too. Plus it’s great and nice and easy to cook and can be a great feed for two or more. Idahoan is a powdered mash potato in three or four different varieties that I’d defy anyone to make better mash than these so great to go with the Fish in parsley sauce. A tin of corned beef with the mash is a great meal too. One pack of the Idahoan is right for most peeps but only put 400 ml of hot water with it, you can always add a little more if you like it sloppier. A couple of tins of baked beans live in my van too. So always have fish In sauce and mash, sausages usually chuck a can of beans in the frying pan after I’ve cooked the sausages and sometimes with the mash potatoes too. Burgers or whatever else I’ve retrieved from the reduced section which can include pork steaks or a zillion other things that are on their sell by date. Rarely do I take bacon or eggs or mushrooms away nowadays for the traditional Brit fry up breaky. I take cornflakes for breaky and I work out how many nights so how many portions and pop them in a freezer style sealed zip bag and that can go in any kind of little available space in the kitchenette. I usually take some fruit too for breaky I’ll have a nana or an easy peeler with my cornflakes. Loads of coffee too. Tried something new on the weekend also. Warburtons crumpets, loads of em. Toasted around the campfire after a beer or two with Anchor butter on. Went down a treat but was a bit arm achy doing them. Plan B has to be the sausage and burger style griller like a stainless mesh that opens up and you place stuff in then close it on them then plonk on the heat. Reckon I’ll need to fathom out a holder for this gadget.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,but I am a gutsy bit :)

Bag of frozen stir fry is handy, boil in a bag type rice, tinned spuds or Oz's speciality, Idahoan, like Smash only better. Stuff to do a full English or two. Stash of potted noodles can be a life saver, especially when you get back to your van pissed and starving!.

Bag of frozen stir fry is handy, boil in a bag type rice, tinned spuds or Oz's speciality, Idahoan, like Smash only better. Stuff to do a full English or two. Stash of potted noodles can be a life saver, especially when you get back to your van pissed and starving!.
In all reality, there should with the aid of modern design capabilities, there should actually be a built in section somewhere in every Bay Window that fits a couple of Naughty Poodles or Potty Noodles. I’ll have a chat with Rusty Lee of rock and roll bed fame to check if he has anything in the pipeline that’ll fit a couple of Naughty Poodles to the underside of the bed as a standard requirement for now on. I’m thinking a couple of easy access Velcro fitments to aid with the timing of the cooking, ie after twenty or so Stellas. So I’m thinking along the lines of seatbelt regulations that ensure all seatbelts can be released one handedly and of course all Naughty poodles are treated safely and with utmost respect until their doom is nigh. An alternative solution could possibly be like the cup holders in the foldy uppy camping chairs where they have a mesh holder. That could be fitted along the inside of the bed cupboards just under the seat so you can reach them in times of emergency and Stella induced hunger spasms, without danger to your upper limbs. But remember,,, you still gotta be capable of boiling that kettle :rolleyes:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,After your third Stella, fill the kettle and leave a spoon handy :)

In all reality, there should with the aid of modern design capabilities, there should actually be a built in section somewhere in every Bay Window that fits a couple of Naughty Poodles or Potty Noodles. I’ll have a chat with Rusty Lee of rock and roll bed fame to check if he has anything in the pipeline that’ll fit a couple of Naughty Poodles to the underside of the bed as a standard requirement for now on. I’m thinking a couple of easy access Velcro fitments to aid with the timing of the cooking, ie after twenty or so Stellas. So I’m thinking along the lines of seatbelt regulations that ensure all seatbelts can be released one handedly and of course all Naughty poodles are treated safely and with utmost respect until their doom is nigh. An alternative solution could possibly be like the cup holders in the foldy uppy camping chairs where they have a mesh holder. That could be fitted along the inside of the bed cupboards just under the seat so you can reach them in times of emergency and Stella induced hunger spasms, without danger to your upper limbs. But remember,,, you still gotta be capable of boiling that kettle :rolleyes:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,After your third Stella, fill the kettle and leave a spoon handy :)

I think you need to leave those "Stellas" at home unless you are just a passenger rather than the driver!

Vesta freeze-dried meals were some of our favorites back in the 1970s & 1980s. I think they are still available from some sources. Freeze-dried vegetables in catering packs also used to be available and might still be.

Monitor the weight of all your payload (i.e. motor-caravan furniture & equipment, loose camping equipment, clothing, water, food, driver & passengers etc). With the ever worsening obesity crisis, there is even greater scope for a vehicle being overloaded above its maximum plated weight (a serious motoring offence, liable to a very hefty fine etc) which for a VW Type 2 is 2,310 kg overall, with 1010 kg on the front suspension and 1,300 kg on the rear suspension.

In his television series, Martin Dorey seldom if ever cooked inside his VW campervan, preferring to cook al fresco, either over an open fire or on a portable cooker! I kept waiting to discover his technique for juggling the preparation, cooking & serving process actually within a typical VW Type 2 motor-caravan like my Westfalia Continental, which has a fold-down, two-burner Kramer stove.

2393134.jpg

2393133.jpg

2262860.jpg

I also prefer to cook Al Fresco, but have been known to boil the kettle for a reviving cup of coffee just before getting up and out of bed, luckily I have a sliding window in my slider door that fits the purpose nicely. Next morning, my van looks a little different to your van.

20230805_113110.jpegOzziedog,,,,,,,,,, most mornings after a few :) 🥳 :)

I boil the kettle and eggs in the van. If we have electric hook up I use a toaster and the genius invention the air fryer. Apart from that all cooking is done outside.

As to beverages. Krombacher or red wine. Red wine means less liquid and less loo visits.
What about Warsteiner or Veltins 😀

What about Warsteiner or Veltins 😀

I haven't heard of any of these, which shouldn't surprise me as I never venture anywhere near the alcoholic beverages aisle! My last alcoholic beverage ( a small rum & Coca Cola) was on the 75th Anniversary of VE Day, in May 2020. In accordance with my road-safety policy, I refrained from driving for at least 48 hours!

Hey Nigel, are you coming up to Skeg Vegas this weekend? Should be a real blast if it’s a fraction as good as some peeps are telling me. Might even do some pizzas on the camp fire and in honour of your visit if you do come, we’ll do some bananas in bacon.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,Yum yum yum :)

I also prefer to cook Al Fresco, but have been known to boil the kettle for a reviving cup of coffee just before getting up and out of bed, luckily I have a sliding window in my slider door that fits the purpose nicely. Next morning, my van looks a little different to your van.

View attachment 9012Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,, most mornings after a few :) 🥳 :)
Looks like your driven through the safari park and the monkeys broke into your van 😂😂

Hey folks. What do you all like to cook/eat when you're away, does anyone cook full on meals in their buses, have bbq's, takeaways or just whatever is in your bus/ fridge/ cool box at the time or is it just a drink fest ha. Intrigued to see what you veggies eat when you're away too if anyone is. Also silly question but where do you store your dry foods like cereals, tins, etc in your buses ? 🤙.
I keep my dry foods in the cupboard under the sink. Cereals, tins, pasta, bread, eggs, etc..
I have one of those 12v cool boxes that I keep all my veg, fruit, milk, cheese and sometimes, meat in. I can squeeze a few beers in there as well.
I don’t cook inside. Multi fuel hob and hot plate I use outside.

Best thing I’ve bought recently… 12v cheese toastie machine. Game changer! 😂

I keep my dry foods in the cupboard under the sink. Cereals, tins, pasta, bread, eggs, etc..
I have one of those 12v cool boxes that I keep all my veg, fruit, milk, cheese and sometimes, meat in. I can squeeze a few beers in there as well.
I don’t cook inside. Multi fuel hob and hot plate I use outside.

Best thing I’ve bought recently… 12v cheese toastie machine. Game changer! 😂
Gotta see this 12V toaster bud as I’ve got a spare battery in the back of the van.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,crumpets anyone? Lashings of butter :)

Gotta see this 12V toaster bud as I’ve got a spare battery in the back of the van.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,crumpets anyone? Lashings of butter :)
Haha. It’s not the best but it works good enough. EBay £25 kinda thing.
If we’re ever at the same festival, I’ll make you a cheese and whole grain mustard toastie to soak up those Stellas.

Latest posts