CB Radios - Can we just plug n play??

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

who?

Reaction score
Been thinking of getting a couple of CB radios so we can keep in touch on cruises etc.

Anyone know whats involved in fitting one?

Must be fairly straight forward.....

As you say, easy to install. 12v fused supply needed but then need SWR meter to set ariel length. Once that done, no problem except there is no one out there using the bloody things!!!!! Went from Peterboro to Folkstone, not one reply to a shout and this down the A1 including a jam on Dartford Bridge. Other than EBI travelling with Graham L, have not found anyone anywhere using the things. Have been serously jarred, expected lorry drivers to be out there at the very least, but not a sausage. The benefits are fantastic, so why does no one use the system???? Looks like it will have to be just amongst a closed few on a trip, what a waste, could make any run so much easier and hassle free........

Pete B said:
As you say, easy to install. 12v fused supply needed but then need SWR meter to set ariel length. Once that done, no problem except there is no one out there using the bloody things!!!!! Went from Peterboro to Folkstone, not one reply to a shout and this down the A1 including a jam on Dartford Bridge. Other than EBI travelling with Graham L, have not found anyone anywhere using the things. Have been serously jarred, expected lorry drivers to be out there at the very least, but not a sausage. The benefits are fantastic, so why does no one use the system???? Looks like it will have to be just amongst a closed few on a trip, what a waste, could make any run so much easier and hassle free........

LOL i have one fitted and came to the conclusion the bloody thing didnt work :lol: But it worked fine just noone using them, we need a Convoy!

Just

ive always wanted one, it would be realy cool. Exept i rarely drive in convoy with anyone and when i do none of them have CBs so it would be pretty much pointless!

think plenty of trucks still have them,channel 19

mainly only use mine for info in traffic jams.

far too many loonies jamming up the channels.

well handy when running in convoy,chatting for free :lol:

I have one fella and the other lads in the club have them.
They are easy to install and you just need to SWR the twig in as Pete says.
There are a few people who still use them but you only really need to speak with the people you're cruising with. :D
I have a York JCB861 and a Stinger twig. Try this place if you need some bits http://www.lorrybits.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Chris. :D

Been calling on 19 for a radio check just to confirm the thing is working, but rarely a response for that even!!!!
Think a national promotion is needed to push for more use of these things, just so long as the foul mouthed spotty max power lads don't get on board... :?

There's a quite a few of us in our club in north devon that have them,
real easy to fit and great fun when in convoy to show's :D 8)
We're alway's on channel 40.
I'll get a pic up of my retro midland 8)

i was just about to start a thread asking about cb's, i'm watching some on ebay now. do they all have pa outs ? so i can shout at people like the blues brothers :p

dubscum said:
i was just about to start a thread asking about cb's, i'm watching some on ebay now. do they all have pa outs ? so i can shout at people like the blues brothers :p

They dont all have them dood, im afraid ;)

westy71 said:
been thinking too about getting a CB for the van , ;) TIME TO START LOOKING ME THINKS 8)

I agree dude, im on it 8)

Me and a mate hav them oin our vans, we used them on the way to the volksworld show, awesome fun and very handy especialy when he took a wrong turn, its just quicker and easier than using a phone, I'm trying to get a few other mates to get them too, even if its just for on the way to shows.

Yep, as Pete said we used them on EBI last year and they were great, especially when we took a wrong turning. Already got one for the new shop bus, but lots of other things to fit to it first (an engine & box might be a start :lol: :lol: )

I bought a new midland one last year as a package and it was nearly cheaper than buying a used one off ebay and it came with the aerial and everything you need. I think it was about £59 but might be wrong

I've got a midland one as well, had mine for years, it seems there are a lot more people over here using them, i sometimes find it hard to get a free channel.

brill things, me and the wife met on them in the 80's,alot of us in the hubba dubba club have got them in our vw's,it was brill on the way to brighton breeze last year, hubba dubba channel 3

My dads a retired lorry driver and has had 1 for years, who needs a Satnav when you have a few thousand real time maps available,
Agree they would be ideal for meeting up at cruises, or directing people to where everyone is camping (rather than driving around like an idiot ofr an hour :oops: )
'you got your ears on good buddy' 'thats a big 10-4' 'we got ourselves a convoy'

bandit! you got your ears on ?

Snowman.jpg

this was the sort of pa system i was thinking about :D "YOU ON THE MOTORCYCLE!" :lol:
blues-brothers-car-picture.jpg

Latest posts