Cellulose vs 2Pack Paint?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abby

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Spraying my van in the next couple of weeks and have come across lots of arguments for both of these paints. What have you guys used? What would you recommend and why?

Any other painting top tips welcome :shock: :D

Doing it myself but got a pretty good set up in a workshop!

Pros - Celly, easy to use and mix, sprays well, drys quick, quite forgiving for amateur, easy to blend in later.
Cons - Very prone to reacting so make sure you have good primer or a barrier coat
Takes a lot more coats (but dry quick) normally needs buffing to get final shine, even with a high thinner final coat.

Cant comment on 2pack as never used it

I sprayed mine in rustoleum lol, wheres LeeC? hes a proper painter

Hello, I'm newish to VWs but have done a lot of work on Land Rovers. I use 2 pack as I find it drys quicker and runs less, the down side is you need a proper mask , I used a military respirator with a new canister.
Other tips are remove as much dust as poss the day before, wet the floor before you start and leave it until it's nearly dry to catch any dust and use panel wipe on the panels. Good lighting is also a must. I'm not a professional but I got a good finish, Dave

If you are using Cellulose, any repairs you have made with filler must be of a high standard otherwise you will find the paint will sink around the repair and you get what they call mapping, and if that happens you will have to start again,
my advice is to find someone with experience of spraying with two pack, Maybe a visit to your local Paint shop and ask one of the guys who do the spraying if they will come to you to do the job, it will be cheaper
I agree with "BlueBayDave" about the respirator etc, but modern two pack paint is not as dangerous as the old stuff, i think its water based, the old two pack had all sorts of nasty stuff in it including "Cyanide"
If you have never sprayed before dont do it yourself its a big bus and there are lots of things that can go wrong, get someone with experience
PS dont forget to mix the hardener with the two pack paint, a mate of mine did just that and it took over a week for the paint to dry (what a mess)

Don't be put off, owning a camper van is all about rolling up your sleeves and getting stuck in. I did my van myself in a drafty barn in 10 degree Celsius when it was pissing down outside. I used 2 pack from a local paint shop and picked up a mask from him as well. It was my first time spraying to, if I had any runs i'd let it dry sand it back and do it again. Pay yourself for your time....you'll find it wont be costing you £2500!!! If you get enough coats on you can give the final finish a light sand and us a polishing mop to remove any cellulite. Search my name in photos and you can see the results ( i've forgotten how to post a pic....)
Job satisfaction trumps any tiny blemish
PS I got loads of great tips of youtube

Re: Holly is nearly complete....few pics
Paste above in search, its not a professional job but neither was the bill.

This is a great help guys! Thank you.

I am definitley doing it myself, so there will be no putting off! Haha. I'm swaying towards 2pack as although trickier, it gives a longer lasting finish from the sounds of things.

MisterListerSir - Your van looks bloody brilliant! How long did the sanding/painting take? I agree the satisfaction afterwards is worth doing it alone. Plus, our van is a piggin' mess at the moment, so it really can't look any worse :lol:

At the 2pack spraying stage with my Fleetline project. Scott from this forum gave me great advice as I was struggling - spray 3 coats with 10-15 mins in between .. more volume with each coat. Leave it a day then flatten with 1500 wet & dry (wet with soapy water not washing up liquid) followed by fast cut/medium cut/finish.
I'm waiting until temperature is in double figures as I'm at work now for 3 weeks. I run a fan heater inside the bus with the windows masked with paper to get the panels toastie warm, couldn't get panels warm enough last week as it was too cold.
Sorry don't know about cellulose as never used it

abby said:

I am definitley doing it myself, so there will be no putting off! Haha. I'm swaying towards 2pack as although trickier, it gives a longer lasting finish from the sounds of things.

MisterListerSir - Your van looks bloody brilliant! How long did the sanding/painting take? I agree the satisfaction afterwards is worth doing it alone. Plus, our van is a piggin' mess at the moment, so it really can't look any worse :lol:

Cheers Mate, not sure how long it took was between work and I had to mask up a few times as I painted the inside first( same colour as the roof and bumpers), then a u-pol 2 pack filler/primer before the main coat. To be honest I found 2 pack easy to use once I got my third gun a quality DeVilbiss one as the 2 pack thinners ate the cheap ones. But I did spray it all with one of those small cheap wolf compressors!!! you'll need good spraying overalls thick gloves (again the thinners eat thru the thin mechanic gloves) measuring cups, and paper filters. Buy plenty of 2 pack thinners as you need to clean the gun properly every time. The main problem I had was flies in the barn I swear they sit around waiting for your last coat. Another benefit of spraying it yourself is you can lay on as many coats on as you like....I swear if mine had one more coat, the doors wouldn't fit back in :)

MisterListerSir said:
abby said:

Cheers Mate, not sure how long it took was between work and I had to mask up a few times as I painted the inside first( same colour as the roof and bumpers), then a u-pol 2 pack filler/primer before the main coat. To be honest I found 2 pack easy to use once I got my third gun a quality DeVilbiss one as the 2 pack thinners ate the cheap ones. But I did spray it all with one of those small cheap wolf compressors!!! you'll need good spraying overalls thick gloves (again the thinners eat thru the thin mechanic gloves) measuring cups, and paper filters. Buy plenty of 2 pack thinners as you need to clean the gun properly every time. The main problem I had was flies in the barn I swear they sit around waiting for your last coat. Another benefit of spraying it yourself is you can lay on as many coats on as you like....I swear if mine had one more coat, the doors wouldn't fit back in :)

Apologies for thread hijack!! How many top coats would you recommend?

Harry UK said:
MisterListerSir said:
abby said:

Apologies for thread hijack!! How many top coats would you recommend?

Bear in mind it was my first go at spraying so I did around 2 coats of primer and 4-5 coats of paint as memory serves, this was because of my lack of experience/confidence I was expecting to wet sand and buff out any imperfections and didn't want it looking thin , but it turned out better than I was expecting. I was told not to lay on too many as it could cause the paint to chip later on. but all still good up to now. Good luck

Latest posts