Chrissys dream - 1969 Dormobile - The journey to Turkey

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

72nu-funk

Reaction score
Hello, I thought it was about time I put together a thread for my bus before leaving the UK. I've been looking over the forum since October last year after flying my Mum back from Turkey and it being confirmed that she was in the late stages of renal cell carcinoma. When she was first diagnosed I gave her a notebook, and asked her to write down a wish list, of all the things she wanted to do in the future, and between us we'd make them happen. One of the things she chose and asked was if I would drive her back to Turkey between the cycles of treatment, since she was now unable to fly due to the increased risk of DVT, and if I could find a camper for us to make the journey in. I'd always loved early bays, and so we set about searching for one whilst agreeing that we would see out the first two 6 week cycles of treatment to make sure that we were both comfortable with how the treatment would effect her and how we would deal with any potential issues during the journey.

Unfortunately, just after New Year, Mum had a downhill turn and after struggling to fight from home, I took her into hospital where they discovered that the treatment had cultured an infection in her bladder. She didn't give up, we stuck to the plan and kept looking on the net from her hospital bed for the camper that would take her on her trip and at the time came across the 69 Dormobile here that Tony (redrust) was selling. I had planned to go and see the bus after making contact with Tony, but was unable to make it as Mums condition worsened. She passed away on the 19th January, the Dr's unable to bring the infection under control.

She had made her final request in her will that her ashes be scattered in Turkey, and truth be told, I had already promised her and myself that I would make the trip that we had planned together for her.

I got back in contact with Tony and luckily he still had his bay for sale, so took the trip to see him, and after spending a good couple of hours with him looking over his bus and chatting, we came to a deal. I've got to say a big thank you to Tony for being such an upfront guy, for being considerate of the situation, and for not trying to hide any of the buses pitfalls as so many others had done that I had seen prior.

After picking up the bus a couple of weeks later I decided that with the time left here to finish finalising my Mums affairs and sorting and packing away her home, I would set about turning the great base that Tony had sold to me into the bus that will make Mums journey to Turkey, hence naming the bus Chrissys dream.

I think that is probably more than enough writing for the time being, so i'll let the pictures talk through some of the changes so far.

How the bus looked when I first collected her

IMG_1117.jpg

camper11.jpg

camper10.jpg

camper2.jpg

camper16.jpg

camper3.jpg

First change was a trip to see Steve at Gasure in Chester to have an LPG conversion put in together with a Flashlube system. Steve is an absolutely great guy and his service and attention to detail is fantastic. He was a little surprised at the size of the eberspacher however...

camper14.jpg

camper15.jpg

camper13.jpg

Tank is sited under the rock and roll bed and the filler down by the rear bumper. If you have a look at the earlier pictures you'll see the black cap by the bumper corner end.

real sad but nice story mate,wish you all the best for the trip,the bus looks completely sorted,enjoy !!!!! :) :)

Next was time to change the inside, this being the main part of the project since the outside of the bus was already more than good enough and time was never going to allow for any major works on the body.

Inside stripped as far as it could go now that the lpg system was in place

IMG_1119-1.jpg

IMG_1118-2.jpg

Setting out the tile pattern

IMG_1120-1.jpg

Fridge/sink unit indoors being revamped

IMG_1136.jpg

Steering wheel was cracked and didn't come off to easily, leaving me with this

IMG_1106.jpg

Since I had an idea in my head of how I wanted it to look, I landed up watching some Australian guide to restoring old steering wheels on youtube and set to seeing what I could come up with. In the meantime I bought a second steering wheel from mattp off of here (thanks matt!) just in case it all went very wrong

IMG_1104.jpg

IMG_1110.jpg

IMG_1113-1.jpg

IMG_1109.jpg

Into white base

IMG_1117.jpg

IMG_1115.jpg

Then masked out for the elfen bein section (same colour as the upper section and inside of the bus)

IMG_1122-1.jpg

IMG_1121-1.jpg

Then masked the elfen bein ready for the gold

IMG_1123-1.jpg

IMG_1125-1.jpg

Whilst doing the cabinets and steering wheel I took off the tail gate ready for it's couple of additions

IMG_1132.jpg

IMG_1134.jpg

Realised I had additional tiles from the floor. Removed the tailgate hatch interior board, flipped it over so as not to damage the existing finish and landed up with this

Image077.jpg

Steering wheel unmasked at the start of laquering together with the ashtray and washer bottle cover

Image070.jpg

Laquered

IMG_1126-1.jpg

Wheel fitted back on, ash tray back in, replacement guage panel in (courtesy of the great guys at NOS VW in Wimborne), madmatz, dash cover, kick panels and floor mat in, gearstick and steering column painted

IMG_1279.jpg

IMG_1278.jpg

Horn push 50's glamour girl addition by Ricky at Wonkydonkey (also on gearknob)

IMG_1280.jpg

Fridge/sink/hob unit completed and refitted

IMG_1276.jpg

Tailgate back on and reupholstered (courtesy of my friends wife Di) foam all put back

IMG_1283.jpg

IMG_1274.jpg

IMG_1273.jpg

Tall unit housing gas and water reinstalled

IMG_1277.jpg

Long unit revamp completed

IMG_1275.jpg

Spare wheel repainted in elfen bein, butlers saucer fog lamps to replace the existing bosch ones, cooler and vintage bbq tub on the rack, marchal pillar lamp added, eyebrows removed and stoneguards in place

IMG_1269.jpg

Metalflaked and laquered (inside) rear hatch glass finished

IMG_1268.jpg

The design I came up with for the name of the bus in honour of Mum, metalflaked and laquered

IMG_1267.jpg

There are a few more bits and pieces, but i'll come back to this tomorrow and add them on.

A big thanks again to Clem (Mike) for letting me bring her along to Volksworld, and thanks to everyone on here for the posts which have helped me along my way getting things sorted :)

So sorry about your loss, but looks like you will make your mum proud :D

Keep us posted if possible of your trip back to Turkey.

All the best ;)

You're a good son to your mother! The intro choked me up a bit... very well done! I can't wait to read more about your trip.

I'm sorry for your loss and God rest her soul!

Tim

Well done in pressing on by yourself with your late mothers wish.
Try & smile on the trip I'm 100% sure your mum would of.
Best of luck
Andy

Thank you for all your kind words and support, much appreciated. Mums bus is about ready for the trip now, a few more things to sort here with Mums affairs and then I should be off onto the ferry a week on Friday to start the journey. I've been badgered into setting up a blog for family and friends so when I have it up and running I will post through the link to here and I have no doubt i'll be along to ask questions as the trip goes along and I need help from you all that decidedly know more than me!

When I get the chance I have a few more pictures to add into the thread so i'll get them put up.

mattd, I did take the bus along to Volksworld. I'd never been before so was a first for me and for the bus as far as I know.

Applied for a carnet de passage en duoanes just in case I decide to head further afield after Turkey before returning to the UK.

Good to meet you today James, thanks again for your help.

Finger crossed for you mate and hope for no more delays to your departure! Got my hub sealed and back together this afternoon so hopefully I can get my engine back in tomorrow so I can take a stroll down to the pier by 4:30.

Oh and if you need a navigator for your trip ;)

Andy

BOL with your trip m8, great story :D :cry: :D
hope you and your mum have a fun/safe trip!!!
Sure you will both enjoy it. ;)

Benyon said:
Good to meet you today James, thanks again for your help.

Finger crossed for you mate and hope for no more delays to your departure! Got my hub sealed and back together this afternoon so hopefully I can get my engine back in tomorrow so I can take a stroll down to the pier by 4:30.

Oh and if you need a navigator for your trip ;)

Andy

Good to meet you too Andy, don't forget if you need a lift somewhere to pick up any parts, do give me a shout. Pleased to hear you got the hub back together, hows the engine back in gone today?

Navigator for my trip, there's an idea, I need a left eye ;) good luck to your girlfriend with her interview to.

Thanks for the support and kind comments marcher and dormy.

A few more pictures to add, a bbq outing with a couple of friends to test out the old US bbq tin, and some shots I took down under a railway bridge

IMG_1379.jpg

IMG_1378.jpg

IMG_1377.jpg

IMG_1373.jpg

IMG_1382.jpg

IMG_1090.jpg

IMG_1102a.jpg

IMG_1096.jpg

IMG_1107.jpg

IMG_1103.jpg

IMG_1101a.jpg

72nu-funk said:
Good to meet you too Andy, don't forget if you need a lift somewhere to pick up any parts, do give me a shout. Pleased to hear you got the hub back together, hows the engine back in gone today?

Navigator for my trip, there's an idea, I need a left eye ;) good luck to your girlfriend with her interview to.

Engine is now back in, finally got finished at 2 this morning :roll: Got to go out for a test drive this morning to find out what I have done wrong, quite certain I won't have everything ship-shape!? I have had to improvise with my wiring so will have to replace a couple of pieces when I can get some wire. Oh and I have to pump my tyre up after flattening it to remove the hub.

See your handy with a camera, should make for some fantastic pictures while your away ;)

Latest posts