Clutch whine?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt_B

Reaction score
Just put my engine back in and it's running sweet with 2 new heads :)

However, a problem I had before seems worse now:

There is an annoying whining noise when the clutch is pressed in, even just a little bit in and it starts the noise.

I replace the clutch bearing thinking it was that, taking the opportunity whilst the engine was out.

Other than the noise the gear change is fine and smooth and no slipping, inspection of the clutch was fine, what else could it be?

how much end float is there on crank,it will push the crank in when you push on the clutch,still could be release bearing,what are the fingers like on the preasure plate as well cos if worn could make a noise.

67panel said:
how much end float is there on crank,it will push the crank in when you push on the clutch,still could be release bearing,what are the fingers like on the preasure plate as well cos if worn could make a noise.
Pretty much zero end float, as the engine was all new a couple of yrs ago and done less than 10k miles

There was no signs of wear when the engine was out, less than 2 weeks ago. 2 mechanic friends, both VW enthusiasts, looked at the engine and clutch and said all looked good.

I did notice that the clips had disintegrated on the bearing when I first took the engine out, but they are ther just to hold the bearing in place whilst the engine goes in, correct?

no the clips keep the bearing in line on the arm its not just till the engine is fitted get out and put 2 new clips on :shock:

ronnie12342003 said:
no the clips keep the bearing in line on the arm its not just till the engine is fitted get out and put 2 new clips on :shock:
Ok, wasn't aware of that, just going on what I'd been told!

I did put 2 new clips on the new bearing (I've still got a scar on a finger to prove it!)

Just wind the wing nut out a little bit on the clutch cable, if the noise is still there then new release bearing and clips.

Des

5erge said:
Just wind the wing nut out a little bit on the clutch cable, if the noise is still there then new release bearing and clips.

Des
Cheers will try that. Why would a new bearing make the same noise as the previous one though?

I had the same issue on my bus recently, that nasty whine as soon as you pressed the clutch, a wind back of the wing nut did the trick. What could simply of happened is the clutch cable was not setup correctly and when the new engine was put back in the clutch was wound back to the same tollerance.

It's true the whining noise could also be attributed to a faulty RB but this is unlikely considering you put a new one in. BTW did you put HD clips on?

Des

Matt_B said:
67panel said:
Pretty much zero end float, as the engine was all new a couple of yrs ago and done less than 10k miles

There was no signs of wear when the engine was out, less than 2 weeks ago. 2 mechanic friends, both VW enthusiasts, looked at the engine and clutch and said all looked good.

I did notice that the clips had disintegrated on the bearing when I first took the engine out, but they are ther just to hold the bearing in place whilst the engine goes in, correct?

lesson i learnt from having a new engine from airspeed if you remember them was that dont assume anything, everything on that engine was out. Massive differances in deck height (one was nearly 3mm others 1-2mm!)

so as i pulled it apart i measured stuff just to try and understand it. anyhoo yes the end float was well well out not conducive with an engine iwth less than 4 k miles. reason only one shim in there lucky there was no damage etc.

always best to measure.

anyhow check thiings like bowden tube too the end broke off mine once causing problems i pulled the engine a new release bearing, and i also renewed the plastic bearing on the shaft and all good.

Latest posts