Crack in head

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt_B

Reaction score
So following on from my plea for help yesterday, the diagnosis was not good - I have a crack in the head between the 2 valves on cylinder 1.

So, just planning ahead, the heads are 044 Magnums and about £300 for a new one - do I buy new or repair this one? My mechanic friend says he knows someone that will repair it but is it a good option, or would I be better with a new one?

Also, Do you think the cause of this is the engine running hot? I did have a long journey last week when it was very hot and sat in a lot of heavy traffic coming back from BugJam!

Thanks in advance for any help

Yrs ago my mate had his watercooled t25 heads welded up as they'd gone porous, they were fine, my van came with a recon engine and one of the heads was welded up across the 2 valves and it seemed to be ok. If it's done well then I can't see any problems.

Will the type of fan have had a bearing on cooling? it would appear that my single port fan (30mm) was used instead of a 35mm fan when building the engine.

Matt_B said:
Will the type of fan have had a bearing on cooling? it would appear that my single port fan (30mm) was used instead of a 35mm fan when building the engine.

That isn't gonna do the motor a lot of good. Twinport motors NEED a twinport fan. Who built it?

K@rlos said:
Matt_B said:

That isn't gonna do the motor a lot of good. Twinport motors NEED a twinport fan. Who built it?

Thought so, think it just got overlooked during the build process - the chap was supposedly and experienced engine builder!

yes and yes on your two over heating questions,

get a twinport fanand get the head welded up, just remember once it is welded up to grind it back and re check the combustion chamber size and the deck height of your barrels and pistons, you want these to be equal ish between cylinders and also needs checking to make sure you get the compression ratio you are after!

Alex VW Heritage said:
yes and yes on your two over heating questions,

get a twinport fanand get the head welded up, just remember once it is welded up to grind it back and re check the combustion chamber size and the deck height of your barrels and pistons, you want these to be equal ish between cylinders and also needs checking to make sure you get the compression ratio you are after!

Thanks Alex, do you have the 90.5 044 Magnum heads in stock, if not what would the eta be?

On the back of an AA truck now - long journey Yorkshire to Sussex!

http://www.vwheritage.com/vw_spares_044-Magnum-head-90-5-92mm-each-40x35-5-Dual-Springs-AC1031442_act_shop.product_pID_183650_lang_EN_country_GB.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

On back order with CB so unless someone has stock lying about it'll be tough!

We are only down the road from you in burgess hill, I am off on my hols from the 1st till the 14th of sugust but apart from that am about if you need advice or help.

[email protected] or call 01444 251 270

Latest posts