Decent quality self tapping screws... Recommendation?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Happystamps

Reaction score
Hi Guys!
Long time back, I took an old above ground swimming pool apart with my dad and it had the most wonderful self tapping screws on it. easily went through double skinned 1.2mm panels (though you needed a big screwdriver with a spanner on it to start them off!) but now I've run out and I want some more, and most of the other screws I've used are made of cheese and the bloody head just snaps off.
I just need them for little jobs like mounting relays and such (nothing load bearing!) does anyone have any recommendations?

If you don't get a specific recommendation I generally find these guys can source most things. Give them a call they can usually advise

http://clerkenwellscrews.com/html/cw_products.php?a=a&sp_cat=121&start=0

generic A2 stainless pan head self tappers

Won't ever rust and pretty hard. Meant for marine use. I build teardrops with them.

I've got a few different sets to use. For lightweight stuff I been using drywall screws from B&Q, cheap as chips and loads of sizes available. They don't look like they should but they really do cut the mustard. If you spin em in too quick with your drill or whatever, you can bust the heads off, but you gotta be rough with them. I always tighten the last bit by hand just because I do.

Ozziedog ',,,,,,,,,, very popular in black :mrgreen:

Sounds like you had roofing screws before, they have a reaming tip on them that cuts/pushes out the hole to the correct size. if the heads are snapping off you are probably drilling too small a hole, invest in a good quality correct size drill bit. I use stainless too, they are strong but if the hole is too tight they will shear off also.
I was assuming you are piloting the hole first and not just trying to force a screw through steel.

purpledog07 said:
Sounds like you had roofing screws before, they have a reaming tip on them that cuts/pushes out the hole to the correct size. if the heads are snapping off you are probably drilling too small a hole, invest in a good quality correct size drill bit. I use stainless too, they are strong but if the hole is too tight they will shear off also.
I was assuming you are piloting the hole first and not just trying to force a screw through steel.

Not really, I was just spinning em up and banging them in with no pilot no nuffink, I had to use two on the odd occasion. I got roofing and sheeting ones too with a drill bit on the end and I think it was an eight mill socket for them. The novel thing about the dry wall / plasterboard screws is they don`t look like they would go through anything more than silver foil but I banged quite a few into my cant rail etc and that is two and sometimes three layers thick. Do they still make PKs anyone ???

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Drilling a pilot ftw really though

Mmm, no they weren't roofing screws. They were just really tough tin screws- Dome head, crosshead that fit perfectly into my best big blue screwdriver (the one with flats for a spanner) 4mm pilot hole and solid as a rock. Currently holding on my firewall and voltage regulator amongst others :)

Will get a few of each of the suggestions, I reckon, and see which is best- cheers guys.

Latest posts