differences between model years?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StripedHemi

Reaction score
hey guys

im new around here and new to the early bay thing also to be honest, having owned a couple of late bays, couple of bugs and more recently a splitscreen the early bay is something im not so familiar with

im in the market for a fresh import OG paint bus, preferably a deluxe but possibly a westy, however im getting off track a little..

lookng thru the build threads and forsale posts here im noticing differences between the years and wondered if someone would be able to point me in the direction of a thread reagarding this topic? failing that maybe some of you more knowedable guys would be able to help by listing the more common differences?

ive noticed the reflectors are round rather than square on the earlier ones and the rear arches are different, ive heard about 68 only stuff but not sure exactly what, what years did things change etc? i guess that kinda gives you an idea of what im asking as id like to know about these differences before i decide on which bus id like to buy..

really appreciate the help chaps ;)

68's have few one year only things

70> on have the square reflectors

71> have disc brakes

72 are crossovers low indicators and late bay rear lights

These are all model years so built from August of that year for example built AUG 69 is a 70MY

1970 is the best year :mrgreen:

Rich

Sept for the drum brakes :lol:

I agree With Hoosier :lol:

An imported 1970 Westie in OG paint and a cheeky disk brake kit up front would be absolutely perfect.

You should aim to get a white one cos that's what all the cool kids roll 8)

Welcome to the forum. :D

68's are by far the coolest 8) Only downside is that you can guarantee everytime something breaks it'll be a one year only part and an absolute pain to find a replacement!

Having owned a 70 and a 71. And currently own a 68 and a 72.

The answer is a t5

:-D

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Haha thanks guys, out of the banter was some good info ;)

I prefer the flatter non flared arches rather than late style rear arches and wide 5 pattern... So that pre 70? Not fussed about the reflectors as I like both, not too worried about discs

Also consider manufacturing numbers - they are on here somewhere but more were produced over time as you'd assume - the largest volume being the 1972 crossover when it comes to low light vans, so the rarity of finding a '68 in the style (e.g. westie, devon e.t.c.) is likely to take longer than if you'd like a crossover in the same format - though I'm biased as I held out for my ideal which was a 71 westie (in white of course!)

Also - some other year specific's - not just front discs but the servo that comes with it ;) on a '71 - believe pre-69 buses don't have the panel in-front of the fuel tank in the engine bay - pict34 carbs on the later bus rather than pict31 - door handles different on the 68's (ice-pick splittie style) and gear ratio's changed over the model years - also changes in wiring in the later buses and fuse boxes - along with different top brake fluid reservoirs in the later buses - single port and twin port engine differences -

Most of the differences are between a 68 and everything else :D - as others have stated, there are a lot of one year only parts on a '68 but that just makes them more appealing - agree that wide 5 wheels are better, plus the arches and this is a payoff with the 71 with servo/discs

If this is your first van then congratulations! They are quite transformative, and sort of take over your life a little bit...

Unless you're looking for a restoration project I would consider any van a "rolling project" as they always need something doing to them, and when they don't *need* it you'll probably find you have a shopping list of things you *want* to do to it...

I would suggest buying the best condition van you can, and almost ignoring the model year unless there are some things that are a *must have* for you... the trade-offs in looks normally bring other advantages, and vice-versa... It depends what you want your van for, I suppose.

The other thing to do is to count how many people you will want to accommodate and under what circumstances. If there are four of you and you like to wild-camp, you need to think about where those people are going to sleep. On the other hand if it's just you and you just want a bus to cruise in or for shows or solo camping missions... different set of needs and requirements :)

Parts availability might be "better" on later vans, but you will still need to dig deep if you want good quality bits or original NOS (New Old Stock - meaning old VW dealer stock that has never been fitted), the majority of aftermarket parts (especially those from places like GSF) are of shockingly poor and often unusable quality. Your van will run better and be more enjoyable to use when you fit good quality parts the way VW intended.

Modified buses are a minefield, some are done fantastically well and either improve the performance, the dynamics or the aesthetics... others are cobbled together and will be frustrating money pits... mind you, you might say the same about standard vans too.

Be prepared to do the work yourself, pretty much anyone can learn the basics even if stuff like welding or painting requires special equipment and some skills to be learned then those things can come in time too (said the man who cannot weld or paint!).

So, in short... think about your real needs; how many of you there are, what you'll do with / in the van and at what time of year, what look you prefer, if you want a camping interior then have a look at the wide variety available and figure out what you like and don't like...

And then buy a crossover, because they are the best*. :lol:

* except for non-removable rear valance... GRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!

Have you looked in the reference section on here, there's some good info.

http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=13130" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

'70 is the best year- I'm not biased honest :mrgreen:

What is the story with opening quarterlights.

Is that a year thing - or a (wrong) replacement thing, I see some '68 bays on here do have them - and others (mine!) don't....

(Also the sliding door quarterlights - they look pretty cool - what were they standard on....

fire3500 said:
If this is your first van then congratulations! They are quite transformative, and sort of take over your life a little bit...

Unless you're looking for a restoration project I would consider any van a "rolling project" as they always need something doing to them, and when they don't *need* it you'll probably find you have a shopping list of things you *want* to do to it...

I would suggest buying the best condition van you can, and almost ignoring the model year unless there are some things that are a *must have* for you... the trade-offs in looks normally bring other advantages, and vice-versa... It depends what you want your van for, I suppose.

The other thing to do is to count how many people you will want to accommodate and under what circumstances. If there are four of you and you like to wild-camp, you need to think about where those people are going to sleep. On the other hand if it's just you and you just want a bus to cruise in or for shows or solo camping missions... different set of needs and requirements :)

Parts availability might be "better" on later vans, but you will still need to dig deep if you want good quality bits or original NOS (New Old Stock - meaning old VW dealer stock that has never been fitted), the majority of aftermarket parts (especially those from places like GSF) are of shockingly poor and often unusable quality. Your van will run better and be more enjoyable to use when you fit good quality parts the way VW intended.

Modified buses are a minefield, some are done fantastically well and either improve the performance, the dynamics or the aesthetics... others are cobbled together and will be frustrating money pits... mind you, you might say the same about standard vans too.

Be prepared to do the work yourself, pretty much anyone can learn the basics even if stuff like welding or painting requires special equipment and some skills to be learned then those things can come in time too (said the man who cannot weld or paint!).

So, in short... think about your real needs; how many of you there are, what you'll do with / in the van and at what time of year, what look you prefer, if you want a camping interior then have a look at the wide variety available and figure out what you like and don't like...

And then buy a crossover, because they are the best*. :lol:

* except for non-removable rear valance... GRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!

some good points made there!

this wont be my first bus ive had a couple of lateer bays and a splitty ;)

for me on a personal level im not a big fan of the later rear ends and having seen plenty of horrible late bays with fillered arches i cant help but dislike that style arch.. removable splitty like rear apron is a must as are the flat arches and wide fives..

not fussed about brakes or gearing or mechanical differences as im familiar with dealing with all that but its the body differences that i need to make sure im sorted on.. simply will be looking for a nice fresh solid import that hasnt been messed with origional paint...

looking for all the specifics are a very good way to get what you're looking for, great advice! thankyou :)

lard said:
Also consider manufacturing numbers - they are on here somewhere but more were produced over time as you'd assume - the largest volume being the 1972 crossover when it comes to low light vans, so the rarity of finding a '68 in the style (e.g. westie, devon e.t.c.) is likely to take longer than if you'd like a crossover in the same format - though I'm biased as I held out for my ideal which was a 71 westie (in white of course!)

Also - some other year specific's - not just front discs but the servo that comes with it ;) on a '71 - believe pre-69 buses don't have the panel in-front of the fuel tank in the engine bay - pict34 carbs on the later bus rather than pict31 - door handles different on the 68's (ice-pick splittie style) and gear ratio's changed over the model years - also changes in wiring in the later buses and fuse boxes - along with different top brake fluid reservoirs in the later buses - single port and twin port engine differences -

Most of the differences are between a 68 and everything else :D - as others have stated, there are a lot of one year only parts on a '68 but that just makes them more appealing - agree that wide 5 wheels are better, plus the arches and this is a payoff with the 71 with servo/discs

again some great advice! :)

i agree with what you are saying but for me having discs over non flared arches isnt an option, i can see why it would be preferable to others tho.. i can put discs on later if i up the power but i wouldnt want to change the arches as i'd spoil the og paint ;)

so i think im getting a closer to finding which years to look for! :) thanks to everyone for yourt help

just to clarify...... flat arches & wide 5's are pre71? or is it pre70?

67westy said:
68's are by far the coolest 8) Only downside is that you can guarantee everytime something breaks it'll be a one year only part and an absolute pain to find a replacement!

Yep I agree 68 Westy's are the coolest, so right about the parts though....

StripedHemi said:
lard said:

again some great advice! :)

i agree with what you are saying but for me having discs over non flared arches isnt an option, i can see why it would be preferable to others tho.. i can put discs on later if i up the power but i wouldnt want to change the arches as i'd spoil the og paint ;)

so i think im getting a closer to finding which years to look for! :) thanks to everyone for yourt help

just to clarify...... flat arches & wide 5's are pre71? or is it pre70?

Its about pre 08/70 for the wide 5's i believe. Could be wrong though but i think im roughly right.

Rich

Probably 69_70 for you by the sounds of it although some early 71s might still have flat arches the wheels would be narrow 5.
Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk 2

Latest posts