Do I need to glue the rear hatch seal in?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pinky

Reaction score
I removed my old rubber seal today (2 hours :roll: )and fitted the new one in (5 minutes) but i didn't glue it in and it falls out at the sides a bit.....do I need to glue it in? I was a bit reluctant to glue it as it is quite difficult to shut the hatch now the new seal is in....is that normal?

Thanks, Kerri

hope you have the correct shaped one dont put glue on to large a strip cos it goes of before you can tuck seal in proper.

Thanks guys. It is tight at the top and bottom but a bit saggy on the side bit where it bulges out. I'll get some glue on it tommorow if it is dry enough!!

pinky said:
Thanks guys. It is tight at the top and bottom but a bit saggy on the side bit where it bulges out. I'll get some glue on it tommorow if it is dry enough!!
If it doesn't fit without glue I guess you are fitting on top of previous glue (that also shouldn't be there and probably painted over as well - peeps are so lazy) which is pushing the seal out.
No glue needed.

Megabug. I removed all the old rubber and glue and hoovered the channels out. Its shaped along the bottom so I know it is in the right place :?

Dare I ask what colour it is?, if it's black it's made of the wrong sort of foam. If its a greyish colour where the corners are properly shaped and glued together then it's the right one.
Shouldn't need glueing in if its the right one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Graham L said:
Dare I ask what colour it is?, if it's black it's made of the wrong sort of foam. If its a greyish colour where the corners are properly shaped and glued together then it's the right one.
Shouldn't need glueing in idiots the right one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah It's black :roll:

Ooops :( You really are better off spending the extra on seals and buying 'Vewib' type products, German manufactured from suppliers like Custom & Commercial or Status. I appreciate that they are expensive but you know the old saying, 'you pay for what you get'!

Glued mine in late last year, but had to remove coz needed to get engine out :evil:
Thought about cutting just the bottom piece so to make for easier valance removal?
I got a heritage one and it fits great without glue so not going to bother glueing it again I think. :)

I bought mine from Wolfsburgs West and it just slid in. I tried to use a junky one and it fought me once i got it in then my rear hatch wouldnt close.

Bit of advice: Always buy the best rubber you can. Its 100% worth it.

For me the engine hatch was the best fitting one of the lot, there's a good lip on there for it to push onto. I did use glue on the front doors though.

Latest posts