Does anyone make a gearbox mount for Bug Box in a Bay

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr scoops

Reaction score
Is it possible to buy an adapted Gearbox mount to fit my 1303s gearbox in to my 71 Bay?

I have the adaptor kit from Axl on here, my bus is fairly low so I don't think I need to swap out the driveshafts.

Couldn't see them on their site.
I'll give them a call in the morning.
Cheers Dude.

Thanks, got a price back from them.
I've also email MEB, just waiting for a reply.

Hi Guys

Right heres where are, we took a kit that came from the states (oldspeed) and had it copied only to find that when we did and had sorted out the bad angles etc etc that it still needed further modification to get it to fit the bus, the rails were not far enough apart, the flanges on the bracket fouled the rear axle tube I could go on. We have now fitted this unit to our new bus with the aim to see how it runs and then will decide if its worth pursuing the remaking of these in any quantity.

The kit we had looks very similar to the one in the link to Vintage Autohaus but without being funny they are asking a lot of money for what is a bit of welding steel, we were looking at around the £140 with the adaptors, cable etc.

It does add a few extra complications in that it picks the gearbox and engine up slightly higher than normal so we found the accelerator cable was fouling the engine bulkhead, you need to fit a different clutch cable but its an off the shelf part and Mark on here is already making the extension pieces so its not too difficult.

If you read the threads other people have spaced the existing gearbox bracket out using washers and longer bolts but I'm not convinced by that idea, we haven't given up but I think the whole bracket needs a bit of a redesign to make it fit the gearbox and mounting flange correctly but also to sit at the same height as the existing box.

Sorry its not better news but we havent given up yet but its not going to be an overnight thing either,

Trying to be as honest as possible :D

Thanks Graham.
Ideally I'd be after the box sitting at the stock height as I have literally 1-2mm clearance from my Vintage Speed exhaust to my over-rider, and I don't want to lost the over-riders, or bash them about unless I really have to.

Latest posts