Drop Spindles, Coilovers, Narrow - Still hitting arches....

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndyO

Reaction score
On the way back from CamperJam I suffered a couple of issues, I was carrying four adults and associated camper crap, also with trailer:

1/ On local back roads (bumpy) the tyres are hitting the arches
2/ Ride is bumpy
3/ Front tyres kept deflating (motorway) :shock:

My Set Up:

3" Narrow Beam
Adjusters on beam @ Max setting
T2D Drop Spindles
T2D Coilovers (on max setting)
Westlake 185/60r15 84h (Max Load 500KG)
No bump stops

Comments:

Re-reading some threads on here suggest that the T2D coilovers are not up to the job and are under-damped. The ride is very bouncy but far better than just adjusters. Seems to me they aren't man enough and I should maybe look to upgrade. Also ZedBed on here has put a post in relation to tires that seems interesting and something I should look into as my tyres deflating isn't good - http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=42019" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thought that I had this cracked as it's just me in the van, and it's not loaded I have no issues. New tyres and coilovers don't come cheap so I wanted to see what would be the best approach first (this time :? )

hi pal 4 peeps and camping gear thats a right bit of weight your carrying. i got a 71 dorma dropped spindles and gsf coilovers and its brill and theres always 3 in mine. yes it does get slighty bouncey and the odd bit of rubbing but nowt major. cheers phil

Hmmm sounds weird about the tyres deflating, sounds like they are not sealed correctly.

As for the dampers they could be upgraded but they will be costly to change. I run the same fronts shocks as you and have had no probs but my front tyres are 175/55/15 so give me some good room in the arch. I also run my T2D coilovers upside down for clearance, and they work like a charm, shouldnt make a difference to how they work tho.

Ez :mrgreen:

same here, upside down. Easy your prob right about the tyres, ill get them checked out. Lower profile may cause the beam to hit the road, would it not?

On that set up youll have to raise it a bit or fitter lower pro tyres ... ive fitted 165/50's on mine and no more arch scuff ... but the beam is hitting the road sometimes :roll:

The bugpacks do the job, but they are only cheap and cheerful items, Im guess the price of real quality coilovers that fit and work will not be cheap!

Get the tyres removed and refitted/resealed. On some older alloy rims sealing can be an issue.

The Bugpack/T2D coilovers are underdamped, which leads to them bouncing too much, which in turn wears them out very quickly, which makes them bounce more etc etc. This is what has happened to mine and it sounds like yours too.

Autotechniks are working on a solution for balljoint dropped spindles involving AVO shocks but are still playing with spring rates... I'll be first in line when they finalise the rates.

Is there a reason you guys dont use Spax coilovers? I havnt looked at the costs ect but have ran them for a few years on my Red9 products without any problems, adjustable damping too

As for the tyres deflating I think that hitting potholes (of which there are many) contribute to this along with lo-pro tyres and stiff susspension. My wifes audi needs air now and again, goes from inflated to looking like a puncture, once inflated stays that way for months.........just a thought

Just

Latest posts