EarlyBay Bearing Housing Spacers - What are the dimensions?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cunning plan

Reaction score
Year of Your Van(s)
Van Type
Clipper / Microbus
ScreenShot2014-07-15at124550.png~original

Really would like some help here guys as this has been a really annoying problem holding me up on my rebuild.

Bus: 1968 RHD Bay window (Earlybay).

I accidentally threw away the spacer sleeves for one of my bearing housings a while ago and since then, I have been in the process of trying to source replacements.

That sounds easy, but replacements for the spacer ring are not available for some reason.

There are two parts sizes available as stated in the Bentley manual, but the size difference is related to the width as opposed to the length and it is the length which is causing the issue(I think).

So, some kind guys here on EarlyBay sent me spares that they had for the sleeve and the ring and I thought that would be everything I needed. However, the ring was too thin, which I guess meant that it was second discontinued ring size. So I bought a sleeve which was the correct thickness and asked an engineer to cut it to the right length, measured against the discontinued one (remember, the lengths stayed the same, it is just the thickness which changed, so the length should be correct) - essentially making a number 14 into a number 4.

So, now I have a spacer sleeve and a spacer ring, both should be the correct dimensions. However, I built the hub up at the weekend and the ring was protruding 3 or 4mm above the seal and as the other (with the original spacers in it which didn't go in the bin) is flush with the seal, I knew it was not correct. This will also affect the wheel spacing in the arch.

I have tried putting the drum on and tightening the castle-nut to see if that pulled everything tight, but it didn't move.

The opposite hub is already built-up and I really to not want to take it apart again just to measure the spacers.

So the question is either:

What are the correct dimensions for the spacer sleeve and ring?

OR

What could be stopping the spacer ring from sitting properly? Everything seems in the right order?

Does it matter that it is protruding from the seal by 3-4mm?

This is what I have:

ScreenShot2014-07-15at144653.png~original

ScreenShot2014-07-15at144650.png~original

:sign0009: :sign0009:

sparkywig said:
On my '69 bus the spacer sleeve is 43mm and the spacer ring 12mm.

Thank you buddy, it looks like my spacer ring is 7mm too long! :roll:

I should have measured the original ring before I installed it in the other bearing housing instead of relying on the replacement ring, which seems like it is from a later bus! :? :cry:

Thanks for taking the time to post that up. Did you already have them out? :party0047:

Ah sounds almost as annoying as missing the correct sized spacer ring :oops: :lol: :roll:

I will go back to the engineer this weekend to get it cut to 12mm :? :msn4:

Try again!

Thank you.

I thought I didn't have any no4 spacers on mine :shock: panic over, I've got some :) couldn't remember taking them off.

Do not loose them!!!!! :shock:

:lol:

From what I now understand, the later-bays with narrow-five wheels and the integral hub as part of the drum set-up, do not have the number 4 spacer ring, but they DO have the number 14 spacer sleeve.

The spacer sleeve is available to be bought through JK etc, but the ring is not. So if you loose them, you either need to source some more or get a spacer sleeve and cut to ring size of 12mm.

Hope this helps someone else if they come across the same issue. :shadey:

Latest posts