Electric Fuel Pump - Where have you put yours?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Purplemonsta

Reaction score
As it says - about to fit an electric fuel pump to feed some new Dells.
Where have you fitted yours?? (pics would be good if possible)
:)

I've got mine here on the n/s rear arch minimises the run of hose from pump to the first carb :mrgreen:

jan28_2014003.jpg

Got a Holley 'blue' on mine and that's mounted under neath the tank.

Cheers for that guys

Was thinking of similar position to Bigdaz for accessibility, but torn about placing it as Marvel suggests, on the other side of firewall - which then gives me the question where to keep it out of the way of cables, bolt access and out of the way of dirt & spray from underneath

I have mine mounted underneath not far from the tank outlet with a filter between it and the tank. Its a Facet so its supposed to prefer a gravity feed. I've got a Malpassi fuel pressure regulator near the firewall (but still outside). The only potential issue with my setup is that if the pump were to fail, I'd need to work under the vehicle. Its standard height though so not a huge problem but if it were lowered I'd be concerned about access.

Mines being mounted here to a bracket I made for the pump and filter king pressure regulator

vu6u2a2y.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i have mine in a similar position to this ^^^^^^^ though tucked in a bit next to the arch between the cooler and arch incase of failure I have a precut peice of hose and the manual pump in a ziplock tucked in beside the battery on the otherside

Guys, if you are fitting an electric pump, please do consider fitting an inertia cut-off switch to stop the pump in an accident. I also fitted a cut-off solenoid as the pump will still gravity feed when turned off.

I used an inertia switch from a rover. Wire the switched live from ignition to one side and the other goes to the pump and solenoid +ve terminals.

You need to mount the switch in a vertical position.
I got mine from eBay, for a tenner including a pigtail.

When parked up you can unplug the switch as an immobiliser as well.

Sent from my GX64 SatCom phone using Tapatalk

I don't think it's a stupid question.

There's three reasons I can think of.

There is a possibility that some of the mechanical fuel pumps may have problems coping with higher levels of ethanol in petrol. There's thousands working just fine but there are a few stories of problems.

If the bus has been fitted with twin carbs, some of these carbs only tolerate a rather low fuel pressure because the float needle valve is a bit weak. Hence the stock pump needs a pressure regulator to lower the fuel pressure whilst one can buy electric pumps already designed to give low pressure.

If the vehicle spends longer periods (a week or more) unused then one has to crank the engine for a while to get fuel into the carbs. An electric therefore saves this turning the engine over just to fill the carbs.

Many older (not VW) pumps had a hand priming lever that allowed one to manually operate the pump to fill the carbs to overcome this problem and save the battery/starter.

I keep meaning to have a look at one of my spare pumps to see if its possible to rig something similar.

Cheers for the reply mate, i've got twin baby dell's on my van and didn't know if it would be a good idea to fit
a electric fuel pump, mine starts and runs fine on the standard pump ;)

Latest posts