engine conversion

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stokeseys

Reaction score
probably been asked before, but im fed up with stressing about my old air cooled engine. just paid £400 to get through mot only to get it back with the engine way too hot and now seems to have petrol getting into the oil. so despite getting mot i Cant use my bus FFS. so any ideas on best / easiest / cheapest conversions to do. wouldnt mind just a standard non turbo subura engine. could this be the better option??? what would be needed for the conversion.

I just did a search for you pal;

http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=53147&hilit=Subaru" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Seems a good place to start and

http://www.vwkd.co.uk/bb/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

For all your conversion needs, plenty on there about all types.

Matt

Surely doing an engine conversion would be far more complicated than just looking after your standard engine properly?

A well maintained aircooled van should be one of the most reliable things out there. I wouldn't hesitate to take mine across the Pyrenees again tomorrow if needed.

To me, it sounds like you just need to sort your current engine out properly. If left to idle for hours on end, it should overcool, not overheat.

Have you any pics of your current setup?

cheers Matt, its really peeing me off now that i Cant use my bus for whats its intended

hi mate
just a stock engine with standard exhaust. the only diffrence is the aftermarket air filter which was on it when i brought it! i took it to woolacombe last year which resulted in a needle sticking pissing petrol onto the hot engine. luckily enough this was sorted. i am just fed up that Ive had it moted and serviced Ive got this problem of petrol in the oil!! so before i can even use it i need that sorting and i knew they were money pits before i brought it, i am running low on funds!!

The aftermarket air filter won't be doing you any favours...

Does it have every bit of tinware fitted? Including the thermostat and flaps?

009 or vacuum distributor?

A photo would help to determine what is and isn't fitted... :)

Fuel in oil is likely a slit fuel pump diaphragm. Over heating due to weak mixture or too much ignition advance. See if anyone local on here can give your bust the once over and point you in the right direction.

Sent from my GX64 SatCom phone using Tapatalk

im in kingsbury near tamworth. i did have bus serviced last week and it felt like it was running fine, but as i got back the oil was leaking out of rocker cover onto heat exchanger causing smoke and the heat from the engine felt too much. so much so that the dipstick was to hot to touch.
the fuel pump is the non servicable one but changed it anyway. the only difference is that i have moved house and the bus is on a slight slant. i read somewhere about this causing the petrol to find its way into the oil!!

gonna have to drain tge oil and see if anymore fuel gets through

the tinware/ seals arent the greatest to be honest and that is one of the lists to do!! i think the ones over manifolds were single port and butchered to fit. thermostat and fins are missing

A hot dipstick is perfectly normal.
Parking on an incline should not be a problem if the fuel cutoff solenoid and needle valve are all fine.
Oil from rocker is normal after a service, new cork gasket and a smear of grease all around will seal it, if bolt on covers then do not over tighten.

Sent from my GX64 SatCom phone using Tapatalk

Latest posts