Engine Fire, Thousand & one questions !

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gert Big T

Reaction score
Advice needed please ! My californian sun baked '71 Westy had an engine fire which caused damage to the back 1/3 of my bus. Didn't open the engine lid, just fired 2No extinguishers down the air vents along with a couple of buckets of water in a blind frenzy before fire truck arrived. Gutted - me that is. Wife & 3 year old on the pavement in tears.
Just wondered what anyones experience of similar nightmare has been in terms of repair, write off's etc. The insurance had a market value of £9K but the local veedub garage has quoted £11/£12K for repairs & respray. (Patina gone forever due to fire damage and rear side panels being warped). Is likely I can buy from insurer if written off and get it repaired somewhere cheaper ? Do I give up, take the money and hope something comes along at the right price ? Are the insurers likely to pay true market value, now I know it's going to cost more to replace like for like ? Would anyone do an independant valuation to back up the true value. (Earlier photos pre damage available) ?
I just want my bus back like it was !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Any advice would be much appreciated.

Think this is everyone worst fear.
If your insurance has given you a guarenteed valuation then they will (should) pay the agreed amount, there not giong to agree for the repairs if they are 60% of the value of the vehicle (think its 60% but cant be sure).
you could buy it back and get the repairs done elsewhere as most places bump up the quotes when they know its for an insurance quote,
Personally i would take the money and find something else, its easier to say when it hasn't happened you though.
Before you decide have a look through the for sale sections, might help decide

Cheers, bought the bus through the forum back in 2009 so will keep my eyes peeled. Anyone with a US import '71 Westy, clean, rot free camper for sale, let me know ! Alternatively anyone in Somerset who might be able to price work more competitively, I can supply pics ?

Sorry about your loss but glad you and your family are OK.

I'm happy to give a second opinion on the damage if you would like, the £11-£12K seems steep for a repair and respray as its possible to buy a new bus for that.

If you have photos of before and after the fire and want to send them to my email address [email protected] I'll give an honest opinion on the damage to your bus and what it might cost to fix,

Appreciate that, I can send some pictures/details tomorrow. Your honest opinion would be really helpful as I would like to keep the bus, even with a shiny paint job if I had to, rather than lose it. Cool !

OK, no problem, if I can't help I know a few people that can,

Fit a new motor, rear suspension,glass, interior etc and roll it as is 8)
Probably worse out there with Tax N Test on.

Serious note. Sorry to hear about your Van, i dont know what id do if my van got that badly damaged.
Good luck with the decission you make.

Rich

Question: (not mean't to be a hijack...think it is relevant) Is there a thread on here about fires in EB's? Why do so many van's catch on fire!??! What can we all do to prevent it?

Gert Big T said:
Cheers, bought the bus through the forum back in 2009 so will keep my eyes peeled. Anyone with a US import '71 Westy, clean, rot free camper for sale, let me know ! Alternatively anyone in Somerset who might be able to price work more competitively, I can supply pics ?

Theres a good garage in Walton (Near Street - Somerset) that do good work on VW campers at a good price. Are you anywhere near them? (I could give you directions if you like as I dont have a number for them).

Humphrey said:
Question: (not mean't to be a hijack...think it is relevant) Is there a thread on here about fires in EB's? Why do so many van's catch on fire!??! What can we all do to prevent it?

poor fuel hose, a lot cannot cope with modern fuel. And the fact of where the tank is in relation to the engine ie it is above and gravity feeds a fire....

fuel solenoid is a must, as is marine grade fuel hose and proper fuel pipe clips...http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=17001&start=0&hilit=fuel+solenoid" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sorry too to hear about your bus. :( Had the same thing happen recently so know how tough it is! Good to hear you and your family were safe though.

Gert Big T said:
Thanks for kind words everyone ! Struggling to get any pics on at moment as message board has reached its limit ???

you have to use photobucket to add photos, we cant be responsible for the content.

I've got an electric fuel cut-off on both my buses, works by stopping the fuel if the ignition is off. Also have a firetec kit, well worth the money.

Aaahhh ! I see, you can teach an old dog new tricks.

http://i1131.photobucket.com/albums/m549/Tonyandrews1973/Offsiderearqtrdamage.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://i1131.photobucket.com/albums/m549/Tonyandrews1973/Engine1.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://i1131.photobucket.com/albums/m549/Tonyandrews1973/June2010025.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I like this as it is now, lol.

Looks cool, just rebuild the engine and interior bits etc. 8)

Offsiderearqtrdamage.jpg

Feel for you mate i've been through it but the fire totalled my bus :cry: This is only my opinion but if you manage to get the bus back with some money out of the whole episode i would change the glass and rubber lncluding tyres look for a second hand replacement engine and give it one massive clean up job but still keep the body and paint as is. I would then look at it like its the next chapter in the busses patina life. I think it would look very cool and you may be suprised with the results.......its just an idea.

As already said, that looks cool! Sort the engine bay out, new engine, and run it as it is. looks wicked, and adds to buses life storys. Good luck with what ever you decide on, but that's my ten pence worth.

Latest posts