Exhaust sitting on Moustache bar

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thejinx

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just replaced my engine into the van after winter overall. Removed Heat exchangers for J tubes. I know not as good heating can work etc. I don't use the bus in winter so its not an issue and we didn't need it going to France last year. My problem is where the J Tubes join the exhaust the bolts are now touching the moustache bar. No matter how i position them this is happening. They were close when i had exchangers but now its an issue. I was thinking a rubber wrap on the bar to avoid noise and vibration. Any ideas please.

thejinx said:
Just replaced my engine into the van after winter overall. Removed Heat exchangers for J tubes. I know not as good heating can work etc. I don't use the bus in winter so its not an issue and we didn't need it going to France last year. My problem is where the J Tubes join the exhaust the bolts are now touching the moustache bar. No matter how i position them this is happening. They were close when i had exchangers but now its an issue. I was thinking a rubber wrap on the bar to avoid noise and vibration. Any ideas please.

Maybe steer clear of rubber to avoid noise and vibration ;)

Ozziedog,,,,,,,, might stink instead :mrgreen:

I’ve noticed this on ours as well with a VS exhaust. The J tubes are however not VS, and are instead some cheapo mild steel jobbies. As such, they don’t have the upwards kink towards the pulley end of the engine, which consequently seems to mean the exhaust sits too close to the moustache bar. Will be taking it apart soon to confirm, if nothing else, to replace the J tubes that shower rust in your face every time you’re underneath them with some stainless steel versions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My replacement was touching so I just used a hacksaw blade and cut the webbing down to clearance as mentioned earlier. It was a new stainless 4 into 1 collector to fit a small triangle flange, about £160 from JustKampers who told me it would fit a bus. Maybe a London double decker but not a standard 1600tp VW! I would definately not recommend it for a bus. It was miles out on the flanges (about 20mm) and was a hell of a job to mangle and smash into shape to make it fit. Unfortunately, I was doing it for the MOT and had no time to spare or it would certainly have gone back. Avoid at all costs.
cheers
dave

Latest posts