Fan Blown External Oil Coolers

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elliott99

Reaction score
Recommendations please, and any to avoid. Also any pictures would be much appreciated, showing how/where you have mounted yours.
Should I still fit a thermostatic sandwich plate with a thermostatically controlled fan?
Thanks in advance,

Elliott.

I run a Derale fan assisted oil cooler mounted underside on RHS near sliding door.

I also run the standard oil cooler and up until now the fan on the extra cooler hasn't kicked in off the thermo stat.

If I was to do it all again I think the fan assist is overkill, maybe I still would if running porsche cooling as no dog house cooler. But I bought mine direct from the states summit racing as worked out cheaper than over here!!

http://m.summitracing.com/parts/DER-15950/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here some pics of how I mounted all made out of Ali...

ema7ypy4.jpg

ynehemyd.jpg

vu7a2y4e.jpg

zyture7e.jpg

Good luck bud, any more queries just shout ;)

Run an inline wax stat also!!!

aze2uvun.jpg

When closed it provides a less resistant route from outlet of filter through stat back to case.
On opening the less resistant path is direct to the external oil cooler the stat for the fan starting is on the inlet of the Derale cooler!!!

Thanks for the reply, and pictures, and especially the tip about the waxstat thing. Looks a really nice installation, I wish the underside of mine was that clean!
Elliott.

I ran an external cooler that wasn't fan assisted and my engine ran warm (not hot) even in winter, so figured in the summer in hot weather it would run hot. I have a replacement to fit that does have a cooling fan.

I mounted mine opposite the slider as mine is a lhd. I would say if you are going to do it get the fan assisted version. Better safe than sorry.

I also have the standard oil cooler fitted in the tin ware.

Fan assisted mocal 19 row with wax stat and elec thermo switch for fan. 90 deg c all day in all weathers which is mostly south France and Spain sun. Fans kicked in only a few times.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Latest posts