First trip away in DeeDee next week!! super excited :D

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeeDeeTheBay

Reaction score
Hi everyone!!

I'm so excited!! Me and the OH are going for our first ever holiday in the bus next week!
We've had DeeDee for just under 12 months after buying her from a chap on here (EpsomAir) but with a number of things going on we've not been away yet.

we're going to Dawlish, Devon for a week with my mum, dad, little brother, sister and her fiancee and my nephew for my brothers 18th :)

I've just been reading some people's posts on here about long distance trips and I don't know why I've been worrying so much lol! (Probably something to do with my GAD! :roll: )

Anyway, does anyone have any hints and tips for a camping novice for a first ever earlybay camping holiday??

Thanks!!

Steff :) x

Hope you have a great time.
Tips? The journey is part of the holiday, take your time, divert and look at interesting stuff on the way. :)

Yes I'd thought that Trikky, we're taking a slow journey down there with stop offs for a brew :)
Thanks!

:mrgreen: Cool -- takes a while to get used to "the pace", just enjoy - oh and dont forget the pix

You will really enjoy that first trip - get used to people smiling and waving at you, some how people are far more tolerant of a VW bimbling along ....

Build up to the longer stuff as your confidence and belief in the bus grows. We did 1850 miles in our wetsy through Spain & France earlier this year and it was bliss

Reminder to ones self .... must post a few pictures of that trip :D

Good for you and your other half. Are you confident of the fuel guage ? If not, then take a spare gallon with you for peace of mind. You can go on and on about the spares you should / could take, or maybe just a spare fan belt. Massage your cheeks in a circular manner with the ends of your finger tips for when you get sore from smiling way too much :p :p <<< that`s you and your significant other smiling :lol: And concentrate on oncoming traffic so you can catch the first glimpse of other busses and wave first.

Ozziedog ,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ENJOY !! And try not to grin like a lunatic :lol: :lol: :lol:

Love passing other busses
Big grin , and a bigger wave
Honk honk ;)

Enjoy your trip guys , the journey is the best part !

You get to be a pro at conserving momentum and reading the traffic ahead to avoid breaking too much. Stop often to take in the sights, sounds and smells. I did around 650 miles lest week up in the highlands, lots of single track roads and steep hills, great fun.

Sent from my GX64 SatCom phone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the info guys :) I'm really looking forward to it now, just finished the housework so its now time to start getting the bus ready and get some stuff packed.

I'll be sure to get plenty of pics , I'm thinking of starting to get those photo book things printed for holidays and stuff like that so i'll post some on here too

Ozziedog...... I'm already grinning like a lunatic :mrgreen: :mrgreen: (and I've turned green too lol)
we've just replaced the fuel gauge so pretty confident in it, we're taking a spare fuel can though just in case

We'll be having plenty of brew stops on the way down to give us and the bus a rest too, gives me chance to test out the camp stove I just bought.

:mrgreen:

And......... just our luck........ The weather is crap!

Looks like we'll be leaving later than we thought :(

Tips for setting up camp.
1, try not to set up in the middle of an open field in this weather, find a corner beside a bush or trees or something.

2. It might be tempting to set up at the bottom of a hill/valley/ dip thinking that it will keep you out of the wind, but remember that water runs downhill!! :shock: :shock:

3. Don't unpack every mortal thing as you may need to make a quick getaway in this weather!

Good luck, I hope the weather improves for you, I'm sure you'll have a great time anyway.

Brett :D

Thanks Brett :)

We're travelling very light so probably won't unpack much anyway, luckily we're meeting up with my mum and dad and they've been there a week already (they go every year) so I'm sure they'll have what we forget, plus it's the UK.... there's a sainsburys nearby :lol:

if you get any problems (our n/s rear wheel fell off in Dawlish in June!) then give rock salmon campers a ring, they are on the industrial estate behind sainsburys and are a really friendly bunch!

Hope all goes well with your trip
Dorset and Devon and the West country are a bugger for your fuel bill with the hills ! :shock: ......... "Your not putting Petrol in again" ?......... yes Dear I like to keep Half a Tank :lol:

Arrrggghhhhh I so can't believe I started this thread and then didn't update everyone with pictures or anything! How crap of me. I do apologise!

Well, the trip was a great success! The bus didn't miss a beat, the only problem we had with it was on the way back, the terrible exhaust we bought for it before the holiday started rattling on the engine cradle :roll: :roll: what a waste of £300! Nastiest non-gen rubbish ever, but anyway, that'll be replaced with a vintage speed one this year hopefully (I've fallen in love with them!)

I'll upload some pics onto photobucket and share by way of proper update!

x

Latest posts