Fitting Dormobile roof

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thejinx

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Questions

1. Hinges. Are the riveted to the van?
2. Bits holding toggles to van as above
3. It seems if you slacken the bolts on the springs you can reduce the pressure am I on the right track?

Thank you. And any other tips would be great

Can't say for sure if mine is OG - but I think so...

It looks like the bolt should turn to reduce/apply tension - but it does not. The method I used is when the roof is UP the springs are at their most loose - so support the roof up with wife or bit of wood, fit strut
with slight pressure - job done. If you try to apply more pressure when UP (and you can by pre-turning the springs) there is a frighteningly amount of pressure when roof is down - I felt too much to be safe, and to open
the roof easily you do not need the extra power/tension

This is old photo with bolt out, the far side that you can't see is captive - so doesn't rotate once fitted - and as you can see the bolt on the outside is simply a bolt - no adjustment

Inside pull tags use aluminium nuts/bolts - I think all OG Dormobile screws were al. but newer replacements from Dormobile are stainless

Roof held on with aluminium bolts - I plan to replace mine with s/s at some point - I can't explain the rust marks maybe the hinges are steel ...and to me it looks like mine are fitted the wrong way - ie
bolt heads should be on outside...?

Hope this helps....

Cheers Matt. I was down the van today and was chatting to my mate about pics I had seen with the roof held up by a bit of wood and I was trying to find them. :D

Can you let me know how the hinges are attached to the van and how the cups that hold the rubber toggles are attached please. Cheers

The hinges are simply held on by nuts and bolts through the roof skin, i used stainless allen key bolts and stiff nuts. The rubber toggles are an after market fit and the van never came with them so how you fit them is up to you, the original roof hold down straps are inside at each end.

Latest posts