Front number plate laws ???

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davebug

Reaction score
Want to run bus minus a front plate ,would i be nicked for attaching it to my front roof rack ??? :?

I am sure someone with the exact info will be on later, but from what little I know No plate law specify's size of letters, spacing of letters, design of plate and maximum and minimum height on the vehicle.

Is it legal? probably not, but how big is the risk of getting caught nowaday's??

that’s fine, well MOT states that it must be securely attached and in as near to vertical position as possible, I'm quite sure it doesn’t state a specific location for it to be on the vehicle.

100_2555-1.jpg

Lose it Dave ! 8)

AxlFoley said:
that’s fine, well MOT states that it must be securely attached and in as near to vertical position as possible, I'm quite sure it doesn’t state a specific location for it to be on the vehicle.

Dash board for me then :mrgreen:

Well when it's finally on the road :roll: lol

I got pulled over in the summer this year for my number plates :evil:

I was running American Style plates, one fixed on the back and the front was on the dashboard and the copper
wasn't best pleased. I got a ticket and had to get UK plates fitted and take the van over to the MOT tester
so that he could sign the form to say it was legal.

The tester wouldn't pass the van until I had fixed the plate to the front of the van with screws. He wouldn't even
let me strap the front plate on with straps, thus not drilling any holes :( (having said that I'm sure a couple of holes
doesn't really matter on my bus :lol: )

Why do you get some real jobsworths!! It was 7am on a Friday morning when I got pulled over :roll:

Import law from 2001 says that cars imported from us can be run with smaller letters so that the plate fits into the recess. Technically I guess this dont apply to bay as the recess is the same... But ive kept the number plate surrounds on in a vain attempt to argue that this is the recess. 2 mot s on and its passed. Diff garages. The plates are white on black btw...

Oh and the guy across the road runs his frnt plate on guys roof rack.. He does lots of offroad in his disco

dont get me started on plate laws!!!! :lol:

i ran us plates and got pulled. i had the original plate in the rear window but according to the fuzz... the original plate has to be placed where the manufacturer specified it to be! then you can put the 'show' plate where ever you want!

so an original plate on the dash and a show plate in the bumper aint gonna cut it!!! does always depend on the copper though!

we were in traffic and a police lady in a panda car waved us through then stopped us, then pointed out that our front number plate was bent so far under the bumper is was unreadable and would need sorting today!

i don't think she was the sharpest tool though, as she directed the bollocking at my Mrs, while i sat there (with no seatbelt on) laughing ................. its left hand drive duck :D

still run the bent number plate.

i fitted a white (legal) number plate for the MOT and the tester said "why have you fitted that ? It looks rubbish!" :lol:

i ran for 4 years with mine on the roof rack on my landy when i had it, its been in the dash in the bay for a year now with no probs and a mates had his in the front window in his bay for 3 years with no probs :)
just dont be to bad with the copper if they pull you an you should be ok :), but theres always the arsey copper you may meet :(

The MOT tester that did my MOT said no law on the height as long as readable.. the plate has to have the correct spacing though, the height the better speed camera vans might miss them,,

I havent ran a front number plate on any of my dubs for the last 4 years, have been pulled 4 times for other things but never have the said anything about no front plate :lol:

As far as im aware its only a £30 (maybe £60) for not displaying a number plate anyway. So im prepared to run the risk :)

Latest posts