Fuel pump woes…

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YellowBay69

Reaction score
Year of Your Van(s)
Van Type
1969 Bay Window
Hi all - trying to get my fuel pump to go. Anyone else taken this bit out (screwdriver is pointing)
F633E1CC-CF6E-4CD6-B7AA-09C7DC7A126C.jpeg

Think my problem lies with the spring loaded ‘stopper’ underneath 😳

So rebuilt the fuel pump (again) with a quality kit from Schofields that’s true to pump. But it still doesn’t pull fuel through.
Pump, push rod, pump block are all original and in good order.
New gaskets as per original.
I’ve measured the max petrusion of push rod which is as Bentley manual.
Even turned engine over to check push is moving as required.
It was working before I rebuilt it and has worked since.
But just doesn’t want to work now … and i’m stumped.

Anyone got any ideas of what could be problem. ?
😕

Have you tried to suck fuel out of the pipe ? The one that supply’s fuel to the pump? Great tip,,,,,,, put a small plastic bag in your mouth when you suck through sos you don’t get a gob full of petrol,,,,, try practising it first without petrol. You should be able to pump your pump by hand, see if it is sucking on your finger, then try pumping juice with it, but by hand.:rolleyes:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,start at the beginning :)

Cheers Ozziedog. Just to confirm that it’s not gravity fed and should be able to suck fuel up from a jerrycan in the floor ? Engine is in an engine stand 🌈👍

I’m sooo glad you said that !!! Think i’ve been expecting too much from my little pump.
Will run again with fuel above pump. 🙏🌈👍

Bin it and install an electric one. Use a Facet made in USA. Steer clear of China junk.

I have always used electric. You get instant fuel at the carb without depending on the engine cranking to pump fuel.

It won't suck, it's a mechanical pump and needs a head of fluid to work. Move the fuel source above the pump and try again.
That's nonsense because the Beetle fuel tank outlet is lower than the pump. Also works fine on a jacked rear and lowered front so pump will be higher! I have tested pumps with a can lower than pump by manually operating the push rod lever.

That's nonsense because the Beetle fuel tank outlet is lower than the pump. Also works fine on a jacked rear and lowered front so pump will be higher! I have tested pumps with a can lower than pump by manually operating the push rod lever.
If he had the engine on a stand and the fuel on the floor then the pump probably can't lift the fuel that high. The beetle fuel tank in comparison is relatively on the same level as the pump so will have enough lift to pump from the tank.

Cheers for all the input guys it’s appreciated.
Finally got her going tonight with gravity fed fuel.
Going to muck about with head of fuel feed to make sure she’s pulling through properly. In the meantime just nice to hear her going.
View attachment IMG_4116.MOV

The funny rumbling noise is coming from the fan shroud. Think it’s scuffing somewhere.

Latest posts