Gelcoating today - very exciting!!!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gninnam

Reaction score
Spent this afternoon gelcoating the inside of my poptop ready for some undercoat, then a final top coat. Here are some exciting pictures:

A few before shots:
DSCF0001.jpg

DSCF0002.jpg

DSCF0003.jpg

A few after shots (not the drink :lol: ):
DSCF0004.jpg

DSCF0005.jpg

DSCF0006.jpg

Bought 2 half litres of the stuff hoping that it would be enough to do both in and out but I have used half of the second tin so will have to get a second tin!

I will see what the finish looks like on the outside of the top and decide whether I should paint the out side.

The reason for the gelcoat is to give the poptop the best chance of surviving another 30 years :D

Cheers

I loves gelcoat :D

Nice work chap :D

Hello, this 'Gelcoat', is this what i need to put on my westy pop-top before i can get it painted? The glass fibers are showing through so i need something to give a good bed before being spayed.
If this is what i need where can i get it from and how do i apply it please?, cheers Daz :wink:

The gelcoat is what is first laid in the mold followed by the glass matting and resin.
Due to the mold, the gelcoat comes out very smooth.
If yours is showing fibre, you need to sand the fibres so that they are smooth, then you need a litre of the gelcoat and a good quality brush. I think a roller would do it and that is what I am going to try on the outside of the poptop!

I got my gelcoat from here: http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Mould-Making-and-Casting-Supplies, but I am sure there will be plenty of other places you can get it.

I ordered it with the 'flowcoat' so that it can be painted on!

Good luck with your roof and I hope this helps. :D

I too need to keep an eye on your progress re the outside as my fibre is showing throuigh and don;t know how to make it all nice and shiney again.

Cheers!

Latest posts