Handle Sets...any good?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aircool76

Reaction score
Has anybody bought a matching handle set from JK or any of the other merchants?

If so are they any good?

I really like the idea of 1 key opening the entire bay, even more so being able to lock the rear hatch at all!

I noticed that they were Taiwanese on one site. I'm not really up for spending that sort of money if they are of the same quality as most of the aftermarket parts I've used.

i bought a set from schofield, at last years busfest, 1 key does all seem good to me,
i have to buy more stuff from them this year at busfest,10%discount

You can re-key all of your existing locks quite easily. That way you keep your original handles with better chrome.
I got a bag of the key discs whatever they are called from someone on here I think, I just had to replace the discs of one or two barrels and put my spare ones in the bag for someone else.
Might be a good start to ask for the bag on here.
Good luck

I'd agree with 70-CA-Panel if you have that option.
Ours has the repro handle set all on one key, but no idea where from, fitted before we got it.
Looks good at a distance, but durability wise after 3yrs mostly stored dry indoors i can see the chrome plating on the sliding door & cab handles developing raised spots & the decklid lock wants to spill its guts if you lock it & try to pull the key out too fast.

Last edited:
I have a lock on my engine lid but the key don't fit so thanks for reminding me to give it a bash

I might be in touch for some wafers.

Weirdly I found a magnetic key minder under the passenger seat years ago, in there was a VW key that don't fit my van and a house key. I've since got an ignition key cut and slotted it in but I've never tried that key in the engine lid lock......:unsure:

To the best of my knowledge, an engine-compartment lock was not a standard factory-fitted feature. My 1973 VW 1600 Type 2 Westfalia Continental motor-caravan has one, which it had when my father bought the vehicle second-hand in 1975, but the lock has its own dedicated key, which is different from the key for the ignition, doors & rear-hatch.

Latest posts