Heating, drafts etc!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy_sheff

Reaction score
Ayup, couple of questions, it seems all the pipe work is in good order for heat exchangers to be fitted, my question is, is if worth it? I had some on my beetle and it was like some warm breathe on my leg! :lol:

Also, there 2 rectangular vents in the cab around knee level, it's blowing a serious gale in, even with all the flaps and what not closed, I'm sure I've seen a picture of these with a different end price on to close them off ?

Andy

They normally connect to vent channels on the door cards that then connect to some vents behind the front seats to give your passengers some nice fresh air, I've sealed mine with duct tape.
If you can, get og heat exchangers as they're more effective.

i cant see them on that diagram, its not them louvered vents, ile try and get a pic later on.
I actually have some genuine heat exchangers in the garrage just wasnt sure if it was worth fitting them

is the heater tube that just runs under the chassis a plain tube with nothing else in there. i took off off my heat exchangers as they were fubar, now run j tubes,(money at the time) and have a propex under the seat.

had this idea to loop the outlet from the propex into the heater outlet under the back seat so as to route the warm air through the bus via the original ducting, this would mean i could also get heat onto the wind screen and the wifes knees when we are travelling i already run propex on the move to heat the general space but you shoulders and the back of the bus a great just miss it on the screen.

so thought i would run a flexy pipe up the ducting to help retain as much heat from front to back as possible might even try a little computer fan in the totem to help the draw :roll:

getting some hot air up front is good for keeping the windscreen from fogging up - to actually get/stay warm - getta a good coat !

Can you post a picture of them because I was guessing the same as Wiggy, unless a po has modified something maybe ???

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Pictures worth a zillion words :mrgreen:

I had a look awhile ago at them propex heaters, eberspacher, big bucks! Ile buy a duck down coat instead !

This is the bit I mean

0702a4fb9bca3fc8f58b41e4aba172bb_zpsab0b0c47.jpg

I got some blanks instead of those off eBay for £30, just keep an eye out for some

--------------------------------------
Why didn't I buy my bus years ago !?

Hi Andy if the front vent flaps behind the grill don't close properly ,you will get cold air through the vents all the time.Look at the flaps behind the grill if the rubbers are in good nick you can adjust them from inside to close tighter.Look under the dash where the heater leavers are and you will see threaded adjustment rods,rotate the hex bar in the middle and close the flaps up more....can't believe you let the bug go..

Hi Andy
I drive my bus through the winter, all the heating is connected up and once the bus has warmed up properly, including all the pipe work from back to the front, it warms up nicely in the cab, you can actually drive on a freezing day in just a T shirt.
It does take a while to get really warm though, about 8-10 miles in my bus, so great for longer journeys. Unfortunatly my commute is only 8 miles so my toes only start to feel the good warm air as I pull up at work cold :lol:

ground hugger said:
Hi Andy if the front vent flaps behind the grill don't close properly ,you will get cold air through the vents all the time.Look at the flaps behind the grill if the rubbers are in good nick you can adjust them from inside to close tighter.Look under the dash where the heater leavers are and you will see threaded adjustment rods,rotate the hex bar in the middle and close the flaps up more....can't believe you let the bug go..

I shall have a look, I checked from front and it looked closed, ile delve deeper. I saw a pic on here yesterday of someone's bus and noticed it didn't have these, had a blanking part instead.
How ya know about the bug? Was just time to move onward and upward I guess.

If you can get the cold air flaps to seal properly and your door seals and pedal seals are good you stand a reasonable chance of having a warm cab.
Also having genuine HXs and fully sealed pipework makes a lot of difference.

mister said:
Hi Andy
I drive my bus through the winter, all the heating is connected up and once the bus has warmed up properly, including all the pipe work from back to the front, it warms up nicely in the cab, you can actually drive on a freezing day in just a T shirt.
It does take a while to get really warm though, about 8-10 miles in my bus, so great for longer journeys. Unfortunatly my commute is only 8 miles so my toes only start to feel the good warm air as I pull up at work cold :lol:

Ha! Typical. Ile have to check out the pipes see what state there all in

Hi again Andy, those vents are for connecting up to the oversize arm rests that some have, and that ducts the fresh air to the back compartment of the bus through a vent on each side in the bulkheads. But it may be that your doors don`t have these. Have you got holes in your bulkheads about four or five inches in diameter ?
As the others have said, most models didn`t use these large arm rests to carry air through to the rear so there are plenty of standard block offs available, the panel vans definitly didn`t use them. At the end of the day ,, just as a temporary thing,, you could squeeze a car wash sponge in each side to stop it coming out, but do check your front vents have still got a seal on them, foam draught excluder works very well if the seals are shagged :mrgreen:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,, Good job it`s summer :lol: :mrgreen: ;) :mrgreen: :lol:

It's barely summer here in Sheffield! :lol:

Ahh ile keep my eyes peeled for some block offs, i don't think I've ever seen a bus sigh arm rests before, mines a deluxe if that has anything to do with it. I'm gonna attend to the flap next week and get it sealed up !

Andy_sheff said:
It's barely summer here in Sheffield! :lol:

Ahh ile keep my eyes peeled for some block offs, i don't think I've ever seen a bus sigh arm rests before, mines a deluxe if that has anything to do with it. I'm gonna attend to the flap next week and get it sealed up !

The armrests make a nice difference on a long journey, I much prefer having them. Mine wasn't a deluxe, so didn't have them originally...

70GreenDeluxeBus%20051.JPG

CIMG9802.jpg~original

They duct cold air to the rear of the van through the cards in the bulkheads...

CIMG0012.jpg

Ahh I've learnt something there, never seen the set up before! Cheers for that.

Anyone got any blanking parts knocking about ?

Latest posts