Help with removing speedo needle

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dubdubz

Reaction score
anyone done this ?

as my speedo broke yesterday - the small spring has wrapped itself into a small ball :cry:

I have a spare and was hoping to swap it over? the needle was off my spare already.....

I imagine its easy to break and I'd really like a viewpoint from a 'have done that successfully' way

thanks....

from memory I think its just a push fit on. You should be able to pull it off with your fingers, just pull at the centre so as not to bend the needle arm.

ok cool - notice southernkombiparts has some speedos although none are 68's if it does go horribly wrong

I do know you are supposed to have some reference point as the spring would take the needle past the stop normally!

I'll take some pics as it may be helpful to someone else?

i had to repair a speedo on a 49 chevy and found the hand of a clock from a hobby store fit perfect.

Man it was on tight - real tight

for ref and anyone searching on speedo needle removal a small trim removing tool [ a small pry bar really]
or a curved set of circlip pliers will do the job

YOU MUST USE AS MUCH PADDING OR MASKING TAPE AS YOU CAN GET IN, can't stress this enough, the needle is on so tight it almost appears as though it will never come off or is glued...it is for those about to undertake the task, what seems an inordinate amount of pulling for such a small thing!
The reason for the passing tape on the speed face itself is you use this as a point of leverage to pop the end off.....

I replaced the spring and had to oil [3in1 seemed to work] the rear section where the speedo cable goes in, I think the grease had gone hard and sticky causing it to behave weirdly.....

in no order
IMAG0365.jpg

IMAG0366.jpg

IMAG0367.jpg

Latest posts