Hot Start Problem

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

earlybaynick

Reaction score
Hi, can anyone help? My van is struggling to start when hot, i just has it serviced hoping this would help but it is just as bad, the engine turns over but doesn't fire and the battery runs close to dead before it eventually sparks up having left it a good 15 minutes. It's a 68 bay with 1600 mexican engine running twin weber carbs...

a quick search threw up a load about "hot start relay"...have a read...
http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=31599&hilit=hot+start+relay" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The tappets set right?

Regards

Mark Ritson
0844 879 7265
07545 297603
http://Www.Morecambeandwize.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

yes tappetts ok as far as I know, chap who serviced it says its possible the twin webbers are worn and letting too much fuel into the chamber....sounds expensive to fix if thats the case...

Frustrating isnt it! I used to plan my routes around not having to stop for fuel................they say its because the small ignition cable runs from the starter to the ignition switch then back down again & once warm resistance builds up and you get a lazy starting engine that feels like you have a flat battery, let it cool down and bingo fires up right away!

An easy fix is fit a relay as I did in the link above, this uses a short length of cable direct from the battery to the starter using thin ignition cable aformentioned to close the contacts on the relay putting mucho volts to the starter even when hot............

I check valves, changed carbs, changed battery (twice) had two starters before fitting the relay :roll: never had a problem since

Just

If its turning over fast enough but just not firing then a hot start relay won't make any difference.
I fitted one to my westy as it was really sluggish to start due to the voltage drop of 20ft or more of old wiring.

I'd say it sounds like a fuel fault (too much fuel) causing the engine to flood. Leaving it a while allows the excess to evaporate off and it'll then start OK.
Maybe a daft question but how are you starting it when its hot?
Slowly push throttle pedal down and hold it there while you crank the engine (DON'T pump the gas pedal). You should put your foot down slowly because the accelerator pump doesn't work with a slow movement, and that, plus the wide open throttle and slow crank speed (low airspeed through carburetor) reduces any tendency to flood.

What condition is the ignition coil in? Maybe its breaking down when hot and not giving a big enough spark to ignite the fuel.

But the PO said it was turing over fine just not firing.
A worn bush just makes the starter hang and not turn over.

see post on ballast coil,also relay on ign feed in engine bay so you dont get to much volt drop at coil.think i will have to start making relay boards with ign relay ,starter relay,and split charge relay if any one is interested?

when I've had this problem before, it's been wither the coil or the condensor on their last legs

Latest posts