hot starting problem-coil

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dubaroo

Reaction score
been having problems starting van when it's hot, I was thinking it was a fuel issue, but over the weekend took van out of garage and accidently left the ignition on for about half an hour. then it wouldn't start. same symptoms as my 'hot start' issue's, but with a cold engine. Had a quick check in engine bay, coil is extremely hot to touch put a bag of frozen peas on it to cool it, then it started fine. I am guessing the coil is dying and has been responsible for the starting issues. Its a 1600 sp with points and condenser. I was looking at a bosch blue coil, or petronix flamethrower. just wondering what opinions people have, and do I need to change anything else, like HT leads etc. cheers.

Bosch blue all the way
c8e0f8ea131c6569007cadac06e6bf02.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

dubaroo said:
I was looking at a bosch blue coil, or petronix flamethrower.

From personal experience, I would stay away from Pertronix, I have had 2 failed coils & a Billet distributor fail within 6 months of each other.
Bosch Blue all the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Or a Bosch red with a ballast but you need to wire in a rely to bypass the ballast resistor for start up. Helps give a good spark when cranking when you get voltage drop.

dubaroo said:
thanks for the replies, I am going for bosch blue. (nice engine bay Dci_Carter)
Cheers its been some months in the making, good luck [emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

I have been having the same problem and I took it to a mechanic, he told me that I need a new distributor because the rotor is loose and it might be causing the coil to over heat. I have electronic ignition but my distributor is an aftermarket and the rotor didn't fit tight, but works really well and pulls fine. I changed the coil for and old blue Bosch that I had, but now that is overheating too, so I'm guessing I need a new distributor, can I get a recommendation on make and type, and would matter if I upgrade to 1776 later on?

I had a Pertronix fitted to an old SVDA dizzy for years, it failed earlier this year and was too expensive to replace. I eventually got a new Bosch 034 SVDA type dizzy complete with Powerspark electronics, needed a new coil to suit but has been really good so far starts first time (once fuel has been pumped to the twin carbs)
https://simonbbc.com/bosch-034-svda-type-distributor/

gagvanman said:
I had a Pertronix fitted to an old SVDA dizzy for years, it failed earlier this year and was too expensive to replace. I eventually got a new Bosch 034 SVDA type dizzy complete with Powerspark electronics, needed a new coil to suit but has been really good so far starts first time (once fuel has been pumped to the twin carbs)
https://simonbbc.com/bosch-034-svda-type-distributor/
That's the exact dizzy and module I fitted to mine, been over a year now and no issues at all, starts every time.

Thanks Gagvanman and Coda.
I have mentioned it to the mechanic and he wants to fix the one that he provides because he knows them and sort of guarantee them. So I think I will go with that
Also saw one kit at accuspark for £94 the thing is that the mechanic told me that he has a full box of cheap distributors.
I was also looking at EMPI distributor but couldn't find a review. Has anyone have one of this?

Sorry, another question. How do I check the voltage to the coil?
From where does it go to the coil ? I have a cut off switch at the front of the bus, will this draw current and make the coil overheat?

Find the right diagram for your bus here: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/wiringt2.php
I recommend printing it in colour at A3 if you can, and keep it in your bus.
If you need help reading that, just shout.

Latest posts