Hovis, my ratty1970 Deluxe Aussie bay turbo

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bit of an update

started on the pipework for the induction system, i have used disposable welding cylinders as plenums as they are a good shape and i know they will take pressure.
i have fabricated flanges for the inlet manifolds, throttle body and exhaust out of 10mm plate mild steel, so far 7 jigsaw blades and 2 tank cutters have given their lives to the cause:lol:
here is a pic of the work so far ( only one side so far) if you can imagine that the throttle body will sit roughly in the centre of the fan shroud where the tubes meet, then a 90 degree silicon pipe will go from the top of the charge cooler into it, and that will be about that, all will be blasted and powder coated silver when complete

DSC02778.jpg

anyhoo,after pulling the muscles at the bottom of my back i've been taking it easy and nowt much has happened over christmas, decided to go back in the garage and see if I can get it mounted onto some kind of bar, early bays rely on a bar across the rear of the vehicle to take the engine, as soon as you get full flow oiling you hit problems, I had to modify the last one quite considerably to get the hoses in, with the added problem of the turbo being in the way this one was going to be a nightmare:rolleyes:

Whoever came up with the idea of putting the turbo on the left side of the engine was a complete idiot, its tight enough in there to get the return line to the sump, as for the full flow hoses I genuinley don't know how I am going to run them without them hitting the exhaust or turbo, I bought the manifold hoping it would save me time on the build, all its done is cause shed loads of problems, if you are considering this type I would reconsider, put the turbo on the other side out of the way, the other engine was much easier to route things through

anyway , I have made a new mount so I am half way there, I had to start from scratch as a standard bar would not get anywhere near, I used 1 1/4" tubing (thick wall) with Land Rover axle mount bushes at the end, this has worked quite well as it meant that the standard mounts can still be used if I need to put a standard engine back in for any reason.
Here is a pic

DSC02793sml.jpg

The mount on the engine has been reinforced and is the strange shape as that is where the exhaust goes:eek:, its all a bit tight in there

DSC02797.jpg

Here is a pic with the header in place

DSC02795sml.jpg

and finally a shot of the bumper etc fitted, I am going to start the exhaust in the week, need to get one ordered from Lee Arnold at L A Performance as he has some cool silencers that come in parts that you weld together yourself, thats the best option so far,
DSC02801sml.jpg

the bar is dead level with the bottom of the sump so have not lost any ground clearance, (good job as I only have 4" anyway )
Roll on next week :D

Nothing more to report on my engine, waiting for hoses and a couple of bends for the exhaust (3" looks hard as fook:D") so i decided to help my sister and brother in law at the weekend with their new early bay, Andy has it stripped to a shell at the moment and is building it back up a bit like Hovis as in mint underneath and mechanically with a well worn patina'd body, should be cool
Fitted most of the windows back in on Saturday, all new deluxe rubbers all round, my bloody thumbs are still swollen now from getting the trim in:lol:
As they are trying to get into the USB as well (first FEMALEmember hopefully) the engine is not stock so some fabrication is required to get it to fit the engine bay.
First i have made them another engine bar, this clears the header and still allows for full flowing the oil ( a bloody damn site easier than the turbo header anyway)

DSC02814.jpg

this mounts on the standard mountings,and clears the header nicely

DSC02816Large-1.jpg

then finally i cut and rewelded the silencer to fit the bus, as it came off a bug it sat way too far back under the body and looked shit as well:lol:
DSC02818.jpg

all dummied up on my motor as i have the engine already in and the welding gear down here (and i have found out that i am really shite at stainless welding, hence mine is in mild steel)

roll on the weekend so i can do a bit more on mine:rolleyes:

exhaust bends arrived today, welded together with the L.A Performance silencer, looks great, dressing off tomorrow then ready for painting

DSC02821Large.jpg

If I were you, I'd try to maintain your gearbox correctly, look what I did with my small 1776 :oops: by making some violent starts with only a kennedy stage 1.My case is dead, It is cracked where my rear bar was bolted....I'll reuse It for a beetle or a split bus....

http://www.old-droppers.com/index.php?showtopic=5008&st=360

I'm going to put a late bus gearbox installed with the clutch house support like this:

STKCup21.jpg

Now that is a serious engine, so looking forward to seeing it finished :D

kombiporsche said:
If I were you, I'd try to maintain your gearbox correctly, look what I did with my small 1776 :oops: by making some violent starts with only a kennedy stage 1.My case is dead, It is cracked where my rear bar was bolted....I'll reuse It for a beetle or a split bus....

http://www.old-droppers.com/index.php?showtopic=5008&st=360

I'm going to put a late bus gearbox installed with the clutch house support like this:

STKCup21.jpg

i have fabricated a bracket to pick up on the late bay mounts that my gearbox has,the gearbox aint goin' nowhere :wink: plus the new mount rubbers are way better at controlling the engine twist than the standard stuff

CopyofDSC02820.jpg

Johnnyâ„¢ said:
class job kev, some great fabrication there 8) are you a mechanic by trade?

pen pusher dude :oops:

learned how to make stuff by being too poor to have someone else do it for me, now i'm a bit older and got a few more quid around me i just get a kick out of it :lol:

kombiporsche said:
cool 8)

do you have other pics of your gearbox bracket?

Thanks a lot

viNce

not at the moment but it is all coming back out soon for powder coating, will post some then

sorted the throttle body linkage today, the Cosworth one operated the wrong way around to be pulled by the VW cable, so i nipped to the local scrappy today for a look at the way other cars work, i found a 5 series BMW that had a similar acting linkage so bought that, i also took a couple of bits off other cars for good measure.
i made a bracket off the throttle body mount to take the linkage, cut off the bits i wouldnt be using and made it fit, works pretty good now,
the standard cable is not long enough so i have used part of the other cable,these will be joined together with a removable link

DSC02824resize.jpg

DSC02826resize.jpg

I have also fitted the exhaust properly, dressed the welds, added a supporting bracket and painted it

lastly i have cut the hoses to length, just need a step up joint for the air filter tubing as the hose manufacturer did not have the correct size in stock

DSC02835resize.jpg

next job is wiring:(, the bit i dont like, all the fabricated bits should be going for blasting and powdercoating soon.

A small update but a huuuuuuuuge step forward , the trigger wheel for the distributorless ignition has been mounted on the crank wheel, a massive thanks to Dave Wain and his dad for their efforts, its a fantastic job and i am truly gratefull, here is a pic of their work, it is mounted so that wherever the sensor gets mounted, the wheel can be turned to suit
DSC02853.jpg

and mounted on the motor

DSC02856.jpg

looks cool huh?

cheers

Bit more done this week,

First off, a gearbox check, John stripped the box and replaced 1st and 2nd gear with a stronger set, he also replaced a dodgy bearing and reset the backlash in the diff,cheers again dude, gotta give it its best shot:lol:

second, i mounted the gearbox support bar that i have made, this meant the tank had to come out to get the inner bracing piece drilled and bolted through
DSC02859.jpg

next, a bit of plumbing on the injectors, using -6 size aeroquip speedflow hoses that are easy to cut to length and make yourself, also made some retaining brackets for the injectors

DSC02867.jpg

put the gearbox back in and tank, mounted the fuel presure regulator and fed the return hose through to the tank

DSC02865.jpg

lastly i made a drain for the oil in the turbo to return to the sump, this is the mark 2 version as i wasn't happy with the first, i had a -12jic alloy male fitting welded to the sump by Jon Rathbone ( while he was altering my chargecooler and repairing the split manifold ) bought a piece of Aeroquip hose with a -10jic to -12jic 90 degree converter at one end, -12 hose and a 90 degree -12jic fitting at the other (this gives me a bit more room at the turbo end as - 12jic ends are massive) and made a fitting for the turbo end

turbo end
DSC02864.jpg

Sump end showing the fall for gravity feed back to the sump

DSC02863.jpg

DSC02861.jpg

hopefully that has sorted that bit out,seems like i have been taking one step forward and five steps back this week, starting the wiring loom tomorrow

Nellybus said:
That is looking like one hell of a motor!
Any idea what power she's gonna make? :wink:

absolutely no idea, low boost maybe 200ish, high maybe double :evil:
a rolling road will tell, then its left ultimately to the gearbox to decide :shock:

progress made on the engine wiring loom, loads of head scratching and blind faith my ability to follow a wiring diagram have so far resulted in this

DSC02896.jpg

will finish it tomorrow and then start the final fit of the engine with all its ancilliaries, shouldnt be long now (is that an echo:lol:)