Hovis, my ratty1970 Deluxe Aussie bay turbo

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
another quick update
hopefully now sorted the fram filter seal blowing problem i've had,i have replaced the oil bypass valve with a new one and replaced the filter with a Champion one instead,so far so good
Took the bus down to Bus types in Oswestry to complete the running in of the engine,no problems to report
Took the bus to Big Bang with the intention of running on the strip,the fan on the cooler wasnt cutting in so had to take it easy on the way down as my Berg dipstick was flickering the oil light to say it was getting warm (didnt get on the strip but thats another story)
Got to a service station and bypassed the thermostat and it cooled ace after that,went the rest of the weay at 80+ no problems
The gearbox is great,even with low profiles it cruises great
Had the carb off to have a couple of mods done after i was struggling to rev over 4k,turns out the emulsion tube was blocked with crap so my man changed that,an air corrector jet and the venturi was bored out to better suit the bigger engine,the result is a transformation,there is loads of smooth grunt now and it revs upto 5k no problems,i have some ratio rockers to fit after the weekend and some final tuning and then thats it,should be finished :D
The engine performs eactly as i wanted it to,it feels like a 2110 or bigger but quieter if that makes sense,it now accelerates up hills like they are not there,the gas mileage has suffered whilst the emulsion tube was blocked and i was revving it to try and get over 4k but now its fixed i cant see it being more thirsty than a standard motor as it only uses the turbo when its needed
on another note,when we were on the way back from Big bang a friend followed behind in a 1776 bay with twin carbs,after a few miles at 70mph she started to fall back so we pulled in at the services,her Berg sensor had turned around fully and had lit the oil light up,mine was only half way round indicating good running temperature,remember same vehicle,same speed same weight,the turbo runs cooler and cruises better.............. you know it makes sense :D

right,update time again,
not much to report really,done a couple of shows now and generally got some miles on it,so far has been super reliable,no breakdowns at all (touches wood) but i have still had a niggling pinking problem in 3rd and 4th,pulled the plugs and the carb is slightly lean,took it back to my renault expert and he has upped the jet to a 140 and altered the air corrector jet to suit,he also thought that the fuel pump may not be delivering enough fuel for the size of engine so i bought an uprated fuel pump also,this has hopefully sorted the fueling side as the plugs are no longer white
i have also invested in a MSD ignition set up that automatically retards the ignition timing as the boost rises,there is nothing wrong with the 009 set up that i had previously running wise,but with the advance being limited to 24 degrees or there abouts the mpg when cruising suffers and there is a tendency to run hotter
DSC02016.jpg

here it is in situ,took a couple of hours to wire in properly (solder/heatshrink etc) but fired in straight away,there is a knob on the dash that now lets me retard upto 3 degrees of advance for every pound of boost that it detects.
i have done a few miles with the set up now and it has transformed the cruising ability again,no pinking or geting warm at a genuine 70mph(tomtom) for miles and miles,really chuffed
oh and i have also fitted my scat 1.25 ratio rockers,a big thankyou to John (63ragtop) for sorting the pushrod length,cant really tell if there is much difference as i am still fine tuning but it all helps
Hopefully now theres nothing stopping me hitting the strip at Bug Jam next week

so it's a keeper now it it?

hope so :)

and excellent work mate, I never cease to be impressed

a working engine woudl do me right now :cry: still, when it's all finished it should rock, brand new 1679 with twins :D but no nasty cam this time, I never did like the tone it gave the engine, or the way it eventually killed it :evil:

keeper,yes i think so now :D
update 28-07-07

When the engine was built i decided on a really low budget job that wouldnt really blow the bank if it all went bang,i reused the std cam,rods and heads etc from the tired twinport that came with the bus,now its proven to be super reliable powerfull and smooth i have decided to upgrade the bits that got missed,
First a new set of heads,CB 044 40x37 heads with a mild port job
DSC02038-1.jpg

An Engle TCS110 cam and gear,scat lifters,copper head gaskets and CBunitec rods
DSC02039.jpg

DSC02045.jpg

The case was split and all the new goodies installed
DSC02042.jpg

DSC02048.jpg

It is now reinstalled in the bus and i will start it tomorrow after the neighbours get up (15 min cam break in session as an alarm call :crazy: )
From the day the engine was built there has been a tappety sound from it,i had put this down to the rockers,but new rockers did not cure it,we found out that the valve springs on one head were so knackered that you could open the valve with very light pressure from your thumb,this would also be one of the reasons that it didnt rev very well,hopefully all cured now though,roll on tomorrow
Once again thanks to John '63ragtop' for all his help with the engine,i owe you big time mate :)

spec is now
90.5 Mahle forged pistons and barrels
69mm Forged CB counterweight 8 dowelled crank
Std flywheel (all balanced)
CB unitec std length rods
Engle TCS110 turbo cam
Scat lifters
CB copper head gasets
CB 044 40x37 Heads
Scat full flow oil cover
Melling oil pump
Kennedy stage 1 clutch cover with HD plate
Renault 5 Turbo carb with larger venturi and jets
Bosch Uprated fuel pump
Std Renault Fuel regulator
Garrett GT15 turbo with self made manifolds for inlet and exhaust
15psi Actuator
Mitsubishi Pajero intercooler

I just realised your related to 'The Schmoo'

im sitting with Mays issue beside me... loving the van, what kinda of times are you expecting?

Johnnyâ„¢ said:
I just realised your related to 'The Schmoo'

im sitting with Mays issue beside me... loving the van, what kinda of times are you expecting?

yes the schmoo belongs to my sister,dead chuffed with the article,she is looking for an early bay now to puta big engine in :twisted:

times wise,took it to Santa Pod and ran a best of 17.2,hopefully there is a bit more in him because on that run i shortshifted into fourth
the engine seized this week after the filter spitting its seal again,we had it out and rebuilt into a new case in one day in an effort to get to VW Action,will be starting it up this morning when the neighbours get out of bed then running the bearings in again
fitted a CSP shifter in him also,this is a lovely piece of kit ,really drives like a car now,

There has been more members to USB added at VW action,it was a great event with busses from BWA (splits) and USB (bays ) fighting it out on the track,all busses were capable of sub 18 second runs and it was great to meet some of the others
there vid of my fastest run here ,thanks to John Walklett for the vid

with the 'old' engine provisionally sold and having sold my off road racer i have suddenly become 'cash rich' for a change,obviously thats not a good position to be in so i needed to blow some of it real quick.......

step 1,discuss available engine options with a very respected and experienced builder
step 2 ignore all the sane advise and talk him into building something really daft
step 3 bung a massive order into the VW Speedshop and wait for said items

here are some of the juicy bits that have arrived tonight

CB Raised roof aluminium case
DSC02561.jpg

CB CNC Roundports with huuuuge valves
DSC02556.jpg

Mahle forged 94's with total seal 2nd rings
DSC02555.jpg

WEB 86b on 110 lobe centres,Berg pressure relief full flow cover
DSC02553.jpg

CB H Beams with ARP2000 bolts (5.5"), 10mm cromo studs and case savers,proper c clips for the wrist pins
DSC02551.jpg

Stainless turbo header
DSC02549.jpg

Scat gears and lifters
DSC02554.jpg

Bearings and odds and sods
DSC02552.jpg

Empi 3.5 quart sump
DSC02560.jpg

Fuel injection manifolds (although these may be changed to 48mm throttlebodies)
DSC02559.jpg

i have a 84mm Scat forged crank (2332cc) and lightened cro mo flywheel at the engineers getting balanced and a stage 3 clutch to come (probably change to hydraulic clutch pedal then)

on the lookout for a T3/T4 hybrid turbo and a wastegate.
will update as usual when the build commences

Man, that case is GORGEOUS!!!!

There is now a very large, and very wet, puddle of sex wee in front of me! :shock:

Kerching :shock:
Not cash rich now eh!!!!
Can't wait to see all the parts built up :D

no not cash rich now lol

definately serious :shock:

more goodies today :D

Cosworth throttle body, already has a throttle pot and air bypass valve on so should be fairly straight forward to wire into the ecu

DSC02714.jpg

rocker covers,clips and a breather tower and a new dog house cooler
DSC02722.jpg

and the bit i've been waiting for, a genuine Garrett t3/4 hybrid turbo,good for anything upto 400bhp :shock: with the minimum of lag,

DSC02719.jpg

DSC02717.jpg

John now has the bigger dowels for my crank and is fitting them this week, as soon as he clears a space we are building it up 'yaaaaaay' :D

Keep us posted - my mouth's watering already!

As an aside, do you keep track of the costs with a build like this or just ignore them and try not to think about it?

;)

cheers dude, i keep 2 lists, 1 that i think its cost me and the other what i tell the mrs its cost me :wink:

i know it was a while since you fitted it but where did you get your new headliner and how much was it cheers