How common were buses in the 70s?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beef

Reaction score
I've just finished watching the professionals on ITV4, and I saw four buses within a minute, two late bays and two splitties. Is this how life was back in Bodie and Doyle's day?

Very common :shock: my mate had a 65 Splittie as his daily in 78 it was all he could afford even insurance was cheap along with fuel, old vw's were as cheap as chips & as plentiful. :lol:
Wish I had a time-machine how times have changed.

Or just come to Peterborough, they drive allsorts of old shit round here, and the place looks like it is still stuck in the 70's :lol:

terrier man said:
Very common :shock: my mate had a 65 Splittie as his daily in 78 it was all he could afford even insurance was cheap along with fuel, old vw's were as cheap as chips & as plentiful. :lol:

Thats why so many were botched - they were cheap and owners did the bare minimum to keep them going - well like all old vehicles bar a few really - they all go through the banger stage before becoming collectible. Used to have a 1934 Lagonda which cost £90 - sold it a few years later for £500 and was well chuffed at having made such a huge profit :lol: - today it would probably fetch £50K.

I was watching the million dollar man once and the blew up a perfectly good splitty !! O the humanity

Trikky2 said:
terrier man said:

Thats why so many were botched - they were cheap and owners did the bare minimum to keep them going - well like all old vehicles bar a few really - they all go through the banger stage before becoming collectible. Used to have a 1934 Lagonda which cost £90 - sold it a few years later for £500 and was well chuffed at having made such a huge profit :lol: - today it would probably fetch £50K.

Lagonda are worth that again I just did some work on one last year an hear they sell for
£100,000+ bet you wish you still
Had that :)

Rob

I had a chevette. A 1.3 not a 2.3. I don't think I need lose any sleep over its present day value.

beef said:
I had a chevette. A 1.3 not a 2.3. I don't think I need lose any sleep over its present day value.

when i was a kid the whole place was a pure beetle fest, with the odd bus in for show, im sure there were other cool vehicles about it just shows you what you are interested in at such an early age, i am not tellin you what i used to call bugs as a kid either you will wet yourself.

ps chevettes and vivas rock , esp with v8 power. last drove a viva on a new years eve at 2 am in 97. it broke down and we rolled it into a ditch, last time i ever saw it we ended up walking home and i was the only sober one( never makin the same mistake again. stella all the way )

jth

My best buddy at the time bought himself a 1960 Fleetwood Cadillac convertible with electric everything even the hood it was all black with lashings of chrome & leather :)
The Stranglers used it in their TV documentary "The colour Black" in 1982 don't know where He is or the Caddy :roll:
Here's the link to the vid you'll see the Caddy from the start, it's a strange video don't know what they were on at the time. ;)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AY062VoQkUA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you stick with the video you see the Caddy quite a few times, brings back memories of cruzin Bristol with the hood down
& the sound of that 5.6 V8 + 9 mpg. :shock: :lol: it was less than a £1 a Gallon & we were moaning back then. :x

Buses were indeed very common in the 70s! :)

In our road there was another Danbury, and just around the corner there was a '73 Devon. Our neighbour ran a chemists chain, and their delivery van was a late bay panel. We used to do the school run with this neighbour (usually in his Jag) but it really made my day on one occasion, when he collected us from school in the panel, and my brother and I sat amongst the boxes in the back! :lol:
Just a bit further up the road was another panel (a crossover). I always remember its reg was only a few digits out from that of our Danbury's.

The customers' car park of our local dealership would always have several bays parked up (amongst the Beetles/Golfs/Audis/NSU Ro80s etc). Now you don't see many of those Ro80s these days, that's for sure!

My "cool" first ride was a 1978 Morris Marina Coupe, gears were very similar to my Bay, like a dick in a bucket!! But, I did manage to cram 12 people in it to go to a party down the A3 towards Roehampton-never again...The old banger never let me down, bought for £80 & sold for £250.

Remember that VW built a lot of buses, haven't got the numbers with me but its approx 250K per year of production with the biggest single year being 72 where they built 290,000, so don't let anyone tell you crossovers are rare :lol: :lol:

Latest posts