How do I keep the bus in a straight line

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dazza1975

Reaction score
my bus tends to wander when going in a straight line :shock: . i know its an old bus but there must be something thats wrong :?: .

What i have done so far,

Changed steering box oil and adjusted so no play
All steering arms, links and track rod ends replaced
Idle pin and bush in the beam, replaced and bolt nice and tight

Whats left to do?

Could it be the damper that is no good :?:

HELP :cry:

I wonder if it could be the shock absorbers, my pet theory being that in a side wide or under buffeting the van leans over a little bit and the rear suspension does a little steering. No science behind my thoughts, but when I took my back shocks off they were knackered and its been a lot better since....

Bluesnailman said:
I wonder if it could be the shock absorbers, my pet theory being that in a side wide or under buffeting the van leans over a little bit and the rear suspension does a little steering. No science behind my thoughts, but when I took my back shocks off they were knackered and its been a lot better since....

Yeah, that will certainly help, as a lower center of gravity will do too.

Alistair

aogrady said:
Bluesnailman said:

Alistair

So what your saying is new shocks but if i'm doing that then might as well lower it?

Whats needed?? it is like a boat on going round the corners being stock!!

dazza1975 said:
aogrady said:
Bluesnailman said:

Alistair

So what your saying is new shocks but if i'm doing that then might as well lower it?

Whats needed?? it is like a boat on going round the corners being stock!!

My bus is stock, and i like it, being a boat doesnt bother me, though i have some air shocks to fit when i get time. I only mentioned lowering, at that can help, but mainly at a reduced comfort, if your happy with stock, roll with it with decent gas dampers.

Cheers,

Alistair

I've got a stock bus, one thing I noticed is that most of the advice about steering problems is about steering dampers ties rods etc etc This is all relevant but what seems to be missing is that without decent shocks fitted you will never have good handling or steering on a stock height bay.
Get some decent new shock absorbers it's made all the difference in the world to my vans handling!
:D

mike202 said:
I've got a stock bus, one thing I noticed is that most of the advice about steering problems is about steering dampers ties rods etc etc This is all relevant but what seems to be missing is that without decent shocks fitted you will never have good handling or steering on a stock height bay.
Get some decent new shock absorbers it's made all the difference in the world to my vans handling!
:D

Agreed :)

tyre pressures incorrect
incorrectly rated tyres, ie car tyres ( soft walls)
check tracking front and rear

When you say theres no play in your steering, there should be some, have you overtightened the box and what oil did you put into the steering box?

As someone else has mentioned, tracking has a big effect on wandering, it would be worth getting it checked at a garage if you are at stock height or doing a simple check yourself.

as said tyres, mine was really bad then changed tyres and put van ones on now its brill, i could not believe the difference. there is a thread on here about it

I need to get my tracking done properly but my beam is so narrow that nobody's gauges fit it :roll:

Looks cool though :mrgreen:

K@rlos said:
I need to get my tracking done properly but my beam is so narrow that nobody's gauges fit it :roll:

Buy one of those Gunsons tracking gauges that you drive over, each side in turn or if you can get hold of a pair of the old dunlop ones with the mirror, use them back to front with the mirror and eyepiece facing backwards looking under the sills, just reverse the reading. You ideally need 4mm toe in on a narrowed beam

Graham L said:
K@rlos said:

Buy one of those Gunsons tracking gauges that you drive over, each side in turn or if you can get hold of a pair of the old dunlop ones with the mirror, use them back to front with the mirror and eyepiece facing backwards looking under the sills, just reverse the reading. You ideally need 4mm toe in on a narrowed beam

Cheers G :)

eventually replaced the steering damper yesterday and tool the bus out for a trip and what a difference. Feels so much better although still not 100%.

Next thing will be tracking and shocks!!

I have a stock bus so do i just buy standard shocks or is there a way to check the length needed??

Really mate do you bus a favour and fit some koni shocks, going around corners is not scary anymore, drive in a straight line with sidewind becomes fun again.
If you buy cheap standard shocks you won't feel an improvement :!:
Oh yeah forgot to mention is that koni offers a lifetime waranty!

Myvanway said:
Who supplies Koni (For T2 application) in the UK?
I will be after some at some point.

Don't know for uk suppliers but kieft & klok or paruzi do them overhere.