How do you use your propex?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy_sheff

Reaction score
So, I'm in the final stages of fitting propex and just wondered how you use yours?
Where have you mounted the controls?
At night if you have it on do you just click it off on the controls and go to sleep or is it wise to turn the gas off at the bottle? With it being under bed, that's not easy when the bed is pulled out.

Mine is under the buddy seat so the controls are on top. If it's cold we leave it on all night, this will probably be the case more often now we have the little one sleeping in there. If it wasn't in use we would turn it off at the bottle but as it was under the buddy seat is was more accessible. Can't really see an issue with leaving the gas on

Our heater is under the bed with the thermostat on the wardrobe, the gas pipe runs under the wooden floor in one of the low ribs on the metal floor all the way to to the buddy seat where has bottle is? The pipe is insulated from wear with cloth tape, and a drop out hole drilled in the floor.
I always turn the gas off when not using it and we don't leave it on at night.

We leave the gas on even if we turn it off in the night. We have a carbon monoxide/gas sensor but that's more for peace of mind as I'm not sure it picks up the type of gas the propex runs on!

99% of the time we use it when on electric hookup mode so there's nothing to turn off.

The black/grey cylinder is an air tank for my suspension and to the left in that image are the compressors that fill it.
I'm front of the tank is my Zig unit, to the right is a mini consumer unit.

Hey Andy,
My propex controls are waist high just behind the drivers seat and the gas is left on all the time.
There is / should be a drop hole in the cupboard where the gas bottle is , so if it leaks it goes out the bus to atmosphere. We also have a carbon monoxide detector in the bus for when it is on at night. Check out page two
on Boris build thread for placement of thermostat.

J & P
:D :D :D

No worries, if you want any other detail on it then drop me a line [THUMBS UP SIGN][FLEXED BICEPS]

Nice one, ive just been looking today where to mount the controls/ thermostat, and it's looking like its gonna be on the kick panel under the bed. Will this cause it to shut off before the bus gets warm? My bottle and heater are both under the bed, was just gonna give it a blast before bed when necessary, then reach down and just click it off on controls and leave the bottle. I've got a carbon monoxide alarm to put under the bed too.

Hey Andy,
Remember the further down you put it the harder it has to work to get the floor area up to temp.
Warm air rises so takes longer for stat to detect heat.
Shoulder or waist height is the optimum heights. The sensor is in the controls so it does depend on
where you put the control. The carbon monoxide detector is no good under the bed. CO as its called is lighter than air and rises. LPG is heavier than air BEFORE it is burnt hence the drop hole.
Hope this helps.

J & P

Very helpful! Gas man by name gas man by nature ?
I don't really have any cupboards or storage either to put the carbon monoxide alarm,Nile have to think about that one, I thought under the bed as its next to the heater where the carbon monoxide would come from!
The thermostat, I guess it doesn't matter too much as I'm not gonna sleep with it on so don't need it to regulate a consistent temp.

Hey Andy,
It's the exhaust tube that you need to worry about. As long as it is installed according to the manufacturers
instructions you should be fine. I guess putting the detector right next to the exhaust pipe will work just
as well and be in the right place. Mine is the external model so is slung under my bus.
Stick the detector to the bulkhead if you have to.

Have fun, pm me if you need help.

J & P

Just routing my exhaust, the best I can come up with is this

How hot does it get as it's almost touching the rear brake flexi

Hey Andy,
The position is fine, however it does not have to stick out to the side. You can terminate it under the bus in a safe spot, close to the side and angled downward. Preferably away from your brake hose with at least 30mm
between the two. By the time the exhaust gasses have got to that point although hot they will have lost some
of the intensity. Have a look at my thread and you can see how I terminated my exhaust and intake.

J & P

Ile have a read on your thread. Yeah I think Ile keep t tucked under the bus a by the last part of the exhaust.

My propex is under the R&R along with the propane bottle Dont normally run it over night noise of the fan kicking in and off does my head in. Turn on the gas as im loading up to leave home and turn off again once back home Control unit is mounted near to the drivers seat belt. My exhaust terminates under the bus and never had a problems

Like many, my propex is under the bed unit, with the gas bottle upright in the side locker adjacent to the sliding door. I read somewhere that bottles ought to be upright, but I am happy to stand corrected on that (and mine is a hefty bottle). The controller / stat is at shoulder height next to the bed.

The exhaust is tucked under the bus, as gas1man suggests, though faces back so that the fumes are carried away should we decide to run the propex when on the move, which we haven't yet, but might. It is kept a good distance from the propex fresh air intake too.

my stat is on the door catch pillar behind the drivers seat if it helps, about 1200mm off the floor. the cable runs around the edge of the floor, tucked away, and up in this corner wedged behind the card behind the seat. pretty inconspicuous and you can turn it on/up if you need it when driving...

Latest posts